Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Oct 12, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #22,562 of 36,065
I own both the iPhone 6 and the Mojo.

1) With the K10 and the Katana I can definitely hear a difference between the IP6 and the Mojo
2) With both I prefer the IP6. The superiority of the Mojo for me only appears with headphones, not IEMs.

Funny how different impressions can be. Several of the Mojo reviews state that it's real magic occurs with IEMs. To each their own I suppose. For me, it takes the K10 to another level. Straight from my iPhone still sounds terrific, but two dimensional. Mojo adds gobs of depth and "authority" to the presentation, and everything sounds more lifelike to me. This is just my experience. Just goes to show the importance of testing gear for yourself. I wish I felt as you did, would be much less bulky in my pocket.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #22,564 of 36,065
I've owned the Leckerton... great little unit. Although the Mojo is superior and would be my recommendation if you can afford it.

Awesome. Thanks for the input...
I actually saw a review of the k10's somewhere on here but I don't remember who, and the reviewer had the k10s sourced from a UHA 6s mkii + mojo stack....
Sorry if this is a nooby question, but is there any reason to stack two amp+dac devices? Is one dedicated to amping and the other as the dac?

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #22,565 of 36,065

I've owned the Leckerton... great little unit. Although the Mojo is superior and would be my recommendation if you can afford it.

Awesome. Thanks for the input...
I actually saw a review of the k10's somewhere on here but I don't remember who, and the reviewer had the k10s sourced from a UHA 6s mkii + mojo stack....
Sorry if this is a nooby question, but is there any reason to stack two amp+dac devices? Is one dedicated to amping and the other as the dac?

I think you're referring to me, though it was a Savanna and not a K10. :wink:

To your last question: yes, this is it. Usually a DAC has got a fixed output level, so directly connecting the headphone to it would blow your ears and probably the headphone, too.
The Mojo on the other hand has got a variable output level, so connecting in-ears directly to it would work well, also because the Mojo's output impedance is also low so in theory, there shouldn't be any frequency deviation even with multi-driver IEMs with an extremely picky impedance response.

BUT:

1.) The Mojo's output is not 100% load stable and the stated output impedance in the specs is only true for the lower frequencies. In the highs, the Mojo's output impedance rises wherefore most multi-driver in-ears will still be affected by a slight to medium frequency deviation (see this post).
The Leckerton's output impedance remains constantly low over the whole frequency range.

2.) Using an amp, I can get the exact volume level I want as the Leckerton's potentiometer is even more fine-grained.

3.) Although the Mojo has got really good hiss performance, it is still not absolutely quiet with very sensitive IEMs. The Leckerton however has got no hiss at all even with extremely sensitive IEMs when used in low gain mode.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #22,566 of 36,065
There it is! Sorry, I couldn't remember if it was the k10s or something by Noble lol. :wink:

Thanks for answering my question.
I guess I thought it would be redundant to connect two amp dacs (especially if one is more expensive and supposedly better?) but that makes sense.

For the k10 though the mojo isn't much of a step up as it is for the savannas?

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #22,567 of 36,065
I guess I thought it would be redundant to connect two amp dacs (especially if one is more expensive and supposedly better?) but that makes sense.

Always depends. In the case of the Mojo and Leckerton stack, the Mojo is a really good DAC whereas the Leckerton has got a really good amp section.

The "double amping is bad" mindset is not always true and even a pure DAC with fixed output level needs an output stage (a basic amp stage), and the non-linearities with some multi-driver loads are caused by the Mojo's very simple output stage (even officially confirmed by Chord in the dedicated Mojo thread some months ago when another member asked why it didn't measure 100% flat in the highs with multi-driver IEM loads although a sub 0.1 Ohm output impedance is stated), and I personally also see my Mojo more as a very powerful and well-measuring DAC with adjustable line out level than a combined DAC-Amp (which however doesn't exclude the scenario that I also use it without an amp but for directly driving some headphones and in-ears).

For impedance matching, more power or reducing hiss, double amping, can be even very beneficial (of course as long as none of the two devices are brought into clipping and as long as the 2nd amp measures better than the first) if the first output is only average.

That said, as long as a stack doesn't audibly and metrologically decrease the signal quality, I don't see anything wrong about (potential) double-amping. This is of course only true as long as what is connected to the first Amp/DAC-Amp is well designed, too. It really wouldn't make as much sense connecting a cMoy Amp to the Mojo.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #22,569 of 36,065
I ordered a pair of k10's last week and got my impressions done last Thursday. My audiologist said he mailed them Friday. I'm expecting an email from noble soon hopefully saying they have received them. Just wondering how long it took for noble to get other ppl impressions?

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #22,570 of 36,065
I ordered a pair of k10's last week and got my impressions done last Thursday. My audiologist said he mailed them Friday. I'm expecting an email from noble soon hopefully saying they have received them. Just wondering how long it took for noble to get other ppl impressions?

always depends what shipping method you use and where you are sending them from.
my impressions were sent out on Thursday last week and arrived on Monday this week at Noble's. Express shipping from the UK.

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #22,571 of 36,065
always depends what shipping method you use and where you are sending them from.

my impressions were sent out on Thursday last week and arrived on Monday this week at Noble's. Express shipping from the UK.
not sure what shipping was used. My audiologist mailed them.i figured it would be business days and Monday was a holiday so im hoping at least by tomorrow I will hear something. Once I now they are at Noble I will chill out! Lol. Been a long time saving for my k10's so im not wanting any hiccups!

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #22,573 of 36,065
not sure what shipping was used. My audiologist mailed them.i figured it would be business days and Monday was a holiday so im hoping at least by tomorrow I will hear something. Once I now they are at Noble I will chill out! Lol. Been a long time saving for my k10's so im not wanting any hiccups!

Im getting my K10s re-shelled and just sent them and my impressions out yesterday. Theyre set to arrive tomorrow and the anticipation is already killing me lol. The previous owner had a similar enough ear shape to me that I was able to get a quality few listens in before sending them off which only made it much harder to let them go for a little while. After knowing what Ill be missing out while those bad boys are gone made rush processing a no brainer

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #22,574 of 36,065
How long do you think it would take for a re-shell with the OTS system? Does it take as long as when you buy a fresh set of CIEMS (6-8 weeks)?

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #22,575 of 36,065
  How long do you think it would take for a re-shell with the OTS system? Does it take as long as when you buy a fresh set of CIEMS (6-8 weeks)?

Rush processing has them shipped back to you 6-8 days from getting your impressions in. It comes at quite the cost though...With me not wanting to spend any more time away from these babies than I have to coupled with an extremely long trip overseas at the end of this month I found it worthwhile to shell out the extra dough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back