Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Nov 15, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #16,171 of 36,135
Well, does that hold only for different cables or also trs vs trrs ?

Because he was mentioning a trrs cable, for me the trrs cable add to soundstage, instrument seperation and also give asense of air around instruments, it will still be debatable since yes the audio memory is short, but i felt this too and alot of people find the same with trrs cables with a balanced dap..

From what I understand the theory behind balanced is pretty shaky.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #16,172 of 36,135
Sorry pal. Ya got one!
wink.gif
There has been too much talk on here recently of cables for me to resist any longer.
IMO the only way to know for sure that differences heard between cables, ruling out imagination,would be a blind test.
Very difficult to arrange with headphone cables in particular.
So we are left with swapping between cables. Far from satisfactory as audio memory is so short.
Bearing in mind that there is NO scientific evidence for improvement.
Even components stuffed full of electronics such as amps and even source make only subtle differences.
A piece of wire???
All this reminds me of Homeopathy.
Another truck load of BS. That has been firmly discredited by science many times over and yet still people cling to belief.
Life and indeed the K10 are amazing enough without buying into this kind of malarkey.
All IMHO. Flame suit on!

Theoretically and scientifically speaking, I completely agree with you...and would have continued agreeing with you, until I actually tried different cables with my K10s and heard subtle but consistent differences between them. (For example, my Linum Music cable produces a clearly lower volume with my K10s than all my other cables). I would have to be insane to ignore what I hear clearly with my ears because it does not comport with the current state of the science (or what passes for science) on this subject.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #16,173 of 36,135
From what I understand the theory behind balanced is pretty shaky.

The difference between my se and balanced out from the AK240 is quite remarkable and 100% measurable. Which means the sound is different.
Different metals have different conductor properties. Using an all silver cable with the balanced out sounds different than a stock cable using the se out......

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #16,174 of 36,135
Theoretically and scientifically speaking, I completely agree with you...and would have continued agreeing with you, until I actually tried different cables with my K10s and heard subtle but consistent differences between them. (For example, my Linum Music cable produces a clearly lower volume with my K10s than all my other cables). I would have to be insane to ignore what I hear clearly with my ears because it does not comport with the current state of the science (or what passes for science) on this subject.

I've heard all kinds of "improvements" over the years only to realise later that I was experiencing placebo and expectation bias.
The brain is a phenomenal organ.
It's got to the point where the last thing I trust is my ears!
John is quite right. This is not the place for a debate.
I just wanted to put an alternate opinion.
If anyone wants to continue to discuss the cable controversy please feel free to PM me. :)

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #16,175 of 36,135
I've heard all kinds of "improvements" over the years only to realise later that I was experiencing placebo and expectation bias.
The brain is a phenomenal organ.
It's got to the point where the last thing I trust is my ears!
John is quite right. This is not the place for a debate.
I just wanted to put an alternate opinion.
If anyone wants to continue to discuss the cable controversy please feel free to PM me. :)

Are we talking about music or Kantian philosophy?

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #16,177 of 36,135
yeah but that's because your Linum Music has 2 Ohm Impedance that's why you get reduced volume. Even the normal BaX has 1.5 Ohm which is still high. That's why the Super BaX's long awaited (0.75 Ohm).

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #16,178 of 36,135
yeah but that's because your Linum Music has 2 Ohm Impedance that's why you get reduced volume. Even the normal BaX has 1.5 Ohm which is still high. That's why the Super BaX's long awaited (0.75 Ohm).

I was aware of that. My larger point was that the attributes of a cable can affect the sound it produces. Depending of the price of the Super Balanced BaX when it finally comes out, I might finally spend over 80 bucks on a pair of cables...nah. Despite my belief that different cables can sound different, I have never bought a pair of cables for either iems or headphones for the sound. Almost always comfort, length, or durability.

I'm willing to discuss Kant!
Probably on even shakier ground than with my cable theory knowledge but I'll give it a go if you PM me.
wink.gif

Hahaha. I just might take you up on that offer one of these days 
beerchug.gif

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #16,180 of 36,135
  I haven't had the chance to listen to the 8's, but I really like the 6's, even when the K10's are my everyday CIEMs. If you didn't like the highs on the 8's the 6's would likely be a good choice as they describe the 8's as having "a slight increase in high frequency response". Can't go wrong either way thought IMHO. Cheers 

Thanks @mscott58.  I will ask the shop if they can get 6's to try the out. Can anyone else shed some light ?. I listen all types of music from instrumental, rock, alternative, hiphop etc just really depends what mood I am in.

Also would i need an amp for them, I listen to my music on iphone6 when i am on the go.

thanks heaps 

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #16,181 of 36,135
  Thanks @mscott58.  I will ask the shop if they can get 6's to try the out. Can anyone else shed some light ?. I listen all types of music from instrumental, rock, alternative, hiphop etc just really depends what mood I am in.

Also would i need an amp for them, I listen to my music on iphone6 when i am on the go.

thanks heaps 

I haven't listened to any that NEED an amp, its more of do you want an amp to change the sound. It also depends how loud your source can play.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #16,183 of 36,135
Not to beat a dead horse, but the whole you will or might like it better over time really makes me feel burn in for gear is such complete BS. YOU adjust to the gear, when I first got my K10, the track I had going did not sound good to me. The next track did, when I went back to the first track I had playing, I no longer felt it didn't sound good. Hearing and sound impressions are a funny thing.

My burn in experience with BA earphones has been extremely iffy and inconclusive at best. With dynamics, however, depending on the earphone, it can range from being barely noticeable (read I don't know if it's there) to strikingly obvious. These conclusions were not drawn from my auditory memory though, I had the fortune of comparing certain dynamic units in their burnt in and brand new state side by side on multiple occasions. In some occasions, it was night and day, others not so.

In fact, I believe Tyll has an article on this, and he did some measurements to conclusively show the existence of transducer burn in (there was a noticeable change in the FR) at least with dynamic transducers :)

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #16,185 of 36,135

I haven't listened to any that NEED an amp, its more of do you want an amp to change the sound. It also depends how loud your source can play.

It's not a iPhone but with my iPod Touch the Noble 3U and 4U that I own are very sensitive. At the moment with Dazed And Confused playing, I just need to press the volume control once and the music is fairly audible. After that I may need to whack it up a couple of notches depending on the track but I never have it more than about a quarter, maybe a fifth of total volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back