Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Oct 6, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #15,346 of 36,067

Cost of the drivers I would imagine would be variable I assume depending on how many they need. Aurisonics ASG-2.5 has two BA drivers in the IEM + one dynamic driver for bass for $699. 

In the video the cost of the drivers on Digikey/Mouser is listed. It's <$50 in total for a $600 product with a ~1hr build time.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #15,347 of 36,067

A) While P1 is a great company, the particular cable shown on the VDO is inferior to the cable we use.  The braid in the video is a tripple braid & has a pull strenght of around 90lbs (still a lot and probably more than necessary) But we opted for a Quad braid.

The Quad braid offers more pull strength, and doesn't require a "splitter" to be used.  Splitters can be a weak point in a build design, as it is another soldering point that could potentially break.

B) The use of a Quad braid is not a "mystery" to this industry as a lot of companies use this design today, and P1 now offers a Quad Braid design, but certainly not at 10$

Wizard. What's the pull strength on the Noble Ultra-Thin cable?.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #15,348 of 36,067

In the video the cost of the drivers on Digikey/Mouser is listed. It's <$50 in total for a $600 product with a 1hr build time.

You're paying for the sound and R&D, not number of drivers. Although really, IMO Noble should have stated the specs for those who care vs not being transparent about it. It would have avoided someone eventually opening them up and the users finding out for themselves and telling a story around it.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #15,350 of 36,067

You're paying for the sound, not number of drivers. Although really, IMO Noble should have stated the specs for those who care. It would have avoided someone eventually opening them up and the users finding out for themselves and telling a story around it.

That probably would have happened anyway even if they did publish the specs. Personally I'm not interested in what is in the IEM only what it can do for me. As I previously posted. Bought for the sound not the components.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #15,352 of 36,067

Which since I assume is not made in the outdoors in a place which is always clean tidy,HEPA filtered and free. Instead of building(s) which require heat, light, water, food, rent to pay. 

This is true for everyone and for every business. It justifies nothing.

You're paying for the sound, not number of drivers. Although really, IMO Noble should have stated the specs for those who care. It would have avoided someone eventually opening them up and the users finding out for themselves and telling a story around it.

To be honest once that IEM gets measured you're going to realise that it ain't that great. Knowles ED29689 is used in the Etymotic ER-4 and HF5. The point is that cost of components is clearly way out of line with cost of product. If people no longer want to buy a Noble Savant for feeling like they are getting ripped off then I wouldn't blame them.

The ergonomics of the IEM would work better if it wasn't inside a bulky UIEM shell as well.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #15,353 of 36,067

To be honest once that IEM gets measured you're going to realise that it ain't that great. Knowles ED29689 is used in the Etymotic ER-4 and HF5. The point is that cost of components is clearly way out of line with cost of product. If people no longer want to buy a Noble Savant for feeling like they are getting ripped off then I wouldn't blame them.

Jason Stoddard on Measurements : http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/6990#post_11763661

"The point is that cost of components is clearly way out of line with cost of product". Name me one product that isn't

"If people no longer want to buy a Noble Savant for feeling like they are getting ripped off then I wouldn't blame them."

"I'll be ripped off". Said the packaging of my brand new Savants in a couple of months time. Noble 4 first.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #15,354 of 36,067

The ergonomics of the IEM would work better if it wasn't inside a bulky UIEM shell as well.

What do you feel are their sonic deficiencies? Just saying the ED29689 ain't that great means nothing. The Etymotic ER-4 are quite good. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #15,355 of 36,067

Jason Stoddard on Measurements : http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/6990#post_11763661

"The point is that cost of components is clearly way out of line with cost of product". Name me one product that isn't

"If people no longer want to buy a Noble Savant for feeling like they are getting ripped off then I wouldn't blame them."

"I'll be ripped off". Said the packaging of my brand new Savants in a couple of months time. Noble 4 first.

When your $600 product is cheaper and quicker to build than your cheaper products then I can see why people wouldn't want to support that.

Name me one product that isn't

It's called competition. The Magni/Modi is the cost that it is because that is close to what the ODAC/Objective2 costs as well as competitors from Fiio.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #15,358 of 36,067
I think the main beef people seem to be having is that the Savant costs more than the Noble 4 (and 5? I don't remember) despite seemingly being cheaper to build. Now, the sound may warrant it to be priced as such, but that's not the central argument. I'll admit that I was somewhat interested in the Savant but this, in combination with the fact that I had to sell off my N5 because it didn't fit me at all, is turning me away a little.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #15,359 of 36,067
  I think the main beef people seem to be having is that the Savant costs more than the Noble 4 (and 5? I don't remember) despite seemingly being cheaper to build. Now, the sound may warrant it to be priced as such, but that's not the central argument. I'll admit that I was somewhat interested in the Savant but this, in combination with the fact that I had to sell off my N5 because it didn't fit me at all, is turning me away a little.

Well the fit issue would still be there, but if u ever get a chance to listen to a pair of Savants, take them for a spin, they are also now being offered through the SLA/Budget CIEM line up.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Oct 6, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #15,360 of 36,067

I had a little trouble with the Noble 3 at first when it came to fit. Uncomfortable at first but soon got used to the IEM and the double flange tips provided works for me. Had them in my ears so far five hours and comfortable as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back