Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jul 22, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #13,231 of 36,066
Jul 22, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #13,232 of 36,066
  Love it. Nicely played. 

That actually turned out rather well, didn't it?
beerchug.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #13,234 of 36,066
Jul 22, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #13,236 of 36,066
Jul 22, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #13,237 of 36,066
The original iPod Shuffle was one of the best sounding daps made due to its push-pull amplifier...

Bested by the cream of the crop today, but apple definitely knew what they were doing...

Wonder if anyone with Noble (C)IEMs run them from a shuffle :wink:

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #13,239 of 36,066
What mid-to-high end DAPs have you owned that have led you to the conclusion that i-devices sound just as good? I'm curious.

Unfortunately I have not owned any other DAP than Apple.
I would be very interested to hear and hope to at CanJam.
Although these days I almost exclusively use Spotify.
I have been caught out plenty with other gee gaws such as cables and amps though.
Once bitten and all that.
I agree with your very well balanced view.
Can't resist mentioning placebo but am happy to leave it there! :)

It's funny. If you in around Head-Fi long enough, it's the same tired arguments over and over, isn't it?

I admit I was being "controversial" for the sake of it.
I don't think it's a bad thing to reiterate to new members to be aware that improvements claimed to be "night and day" often turn out to be very small differences in reality.
Basically you don't need to spend a kings ransom to get superb sound. IMHO and IME.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #13,244 of 36,066
What mid-to-high end DAPs have you owned that have led you to the conclusion that i-devices sound just as good? I'm curious. I do think you're right that there's a lot of BS out there. A lot. There's only so much the ear can hear, and generally speaking, I trust science over subjective experience. But I also doubt that measurements tell the full story of the complex nature of sound. My subjective experience, placebo or not, is that other DAPs and AMPs sound more refined and realistic with my K10s and HD-600s than i-devices. And this is coming from an Apple fanboy. Don't get me wrong, I think my iPhone 6 sounds great with the K10s, and is perfectly fine when I'm out and about. But when I'm in a quiet room listening, I can hear a difference in almost every aspect of the sound. Compared with my external amp/dac, the soundstage is very 2D, the location of instruments/voices are less precise and more smeared/spread across the soundstage, the bass isn't as tight, voices sound more grainy, etc. Everything just sounds more clear and natural with my other gear. I suppose it could be argued that these aren't necessarily improvements, just different sound signatures?

Only wanted to add that idevices would only be adequate for low impedance/high sensitivity stuff.  Your HD 600's don't count :p I've used my HD 650's and HD 800's with my iphone 6+, no problem, and they get loud enough, but it definitely doesn't have what it takes to get the most out of them. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #13,245 of 36,066
My head! My head!  What the hell is everyone talking about?! 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back