Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Feb 24, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #8,671 of 36,064
I'm booked to hear the K10 tomorrow. It will be very interesting to finally hear if they are for me. Any listening advice? Spare me the eulogies though. Expectation bias is already at an all time high!!!

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #8,672 of 36,064
I'm booked to hear the K10 tomorrow. It will be very interesting to finally hear if they are for me. Any listening advice? Spare me the eulogies though. Expectation bias is already at an all time high!!!

Good source, some foam/silicone tips that you like, and another IEM/headphone that you know well for reference.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #8,673 of 36,064

I've been using foam tips for quite a number of years on other universals and tried the T500 foams on the K10U.  To my ears they dull the sound signature and make it quite distant. Anyone have other foam or hybrid options that work well ?  So far the best Fit/Signature I've been able to come up with are the JH silicone tips that come with the Roxys    They're a bit more olive shaped at the tip than the UE and seem to extend into my ear canal more then the stock Nobles that look to be the same shape as the UE.  Thx.

The UE tips are similar to the stock Noble (same length/diameter), but the stock Noble taper a bit more at the top & are more rigid in their core. I think this is what was causing discomfort for me.

Also, the stock appear to be a little bit thinner than the UE.

Photos show UE on left, stock Noble on right for comparison.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #8,675 of 36,064

The UE tips are similar to the stock Noble (same length/diameter), but the stock Noble taper a bit more at the top & are more rigid in their core. I think this is what was causing discomfort for me.

Also, the stock appear to be a little bit thinner than the UE.

Photos show UE on left, stock Noble on right for comparison.

If you were to stand the JH silicone tips up against the UE and Noble Reds, they would have a similar shape to the Reds (at tip) and stand a little taller (more material top to bottom) which gives me more extension into my ear canal to get the seal I need.  I'd say the JH tips are about in between the Noble Reds/Blues with respect to stiffness.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #8,676 of 36,064
  I didn't trim mine as I have no problem with it, but all you need is a sharp knife/cutter and cut off the front bit that doesn't have the supporting inner tube.  So you end up with the tip flush against your K10U's port.

I've got a Dremel tool that should do the trick.  I will give it a shot tonight, would love to get foams to work.  Thanks!

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #8,677 of 36,064

I've got a Dremel tool that should do the trick.  I will give it a shot tonight, would love to get foams to work.  Thanks!

Ah yes, forgot I about the Dremel.  But instead of cutting the front, try to sand/cut the back if you want to keep the tapered front.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #8,678 of 36,064

Ah yes, forgot I about the Dremel.  But instead of cutting the front, try to sand/cut the back if you want to keep the tapered front.

Gotcha...I think quick, even pressure, straight down with a razor knife should work well too.  Looks like I have some experiments to perform this evening after work.  Just so I understand, you want the port end of the IEM to be as close to the tip of the foam a possible? This should open and brighten things up a bit relative to the silicone tips?

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #8,679 of 36,064

Gotcha...I think quick, even pressure, straight down with a razor knife should work well too.  Looks like I have some experiments to perform this evening after work.  Just so I understand, you want the port end of the IEM to be as close to the tip of the foam a possible? This should open and brighten things up a bit relative to the silicone tips?

Yes, this way the tips will only function as a seal with nothing to deform or hang in front of the ports.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #8,680 of 36,064

Go very slowly with the dremel when you make contact.  It can twist the tip right out of the fingers your holding it with.  I about dremeled my fingerprint off one time making a similar alteration.
confused_face.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #8,681 of 36,064
  Yes, this way the tips will only function as a seal with nothing to deform or hang in front of the ports.

Thanks, that's very helpful information!

Go very slowly with the dremel when you make contact.  It can twist the tip right out of the fingers your holding it with.  I about dremeled my fingerprint off one time making a similar alteration.
confused_face.gif

Will do..thanks!

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #8,682 of 36,064
Good source, some foam/silicone tips that you like, and another IEM/headphone that you know well for reference.

Yup. I think it's important to have an IEM you're intimately familiar with. It helps to highlight key differences easily. I also play the same handful of songs on each IEM I test.

@krismusic And just enjoy. :smile:

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #8,684 of 36,064
My K10s arrived today:

I'm really happy with them. Here's the playlist I've been using to get into them. It's a wide spectrum of Jazz, Metal, Bluegrass and Pop. In particular Johanna Kurkela's "Sinä nukut siina" really shines on them, as well as Tesseract's "Resist":

Definitely recommend a listen of those to other K10 owners :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back