Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jan 26, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #8,071 of 36,064
  Damn, I thought I was a patient person. The wait for my K10 is agonising, especially with all the spectacular 'reveals' in this thread 
eek.gif

Me too man, me too. I'm in a constant state of edge-of-my-seat-ness. It doesn't help that my SM3's cable gave out a few weeks ago either, so I've got to live with Carbo Tenores until the K10s arrive...

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #8,072 of 36,064
...Welp, there went the left ear cup on my beloved SRH-940.  It's like the plastic on these things literally dissolved.  They didn't just fail, they failed catastrophically.  Everywhere. 
blink.gif
  If you're going to buy something at $300 that you specifically want to last more than one year, don't go with the aforementioned pair. 16 months and are now in two physical pieces.

Yep.  Now we sit back and wait for the IEMs to make their way back to me from the guys at Noble.  *starts whistling a sad tune*

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #8,073 of 36,064

There is no imbalance at low levels with the Pure II.  However, even on low gain, about 9:00 on the volume is about as loud as I like it.  I'm sure many listen at louder levels than I do, I'm just suggesting that the K10's sensitivity is such that you don't have a lot of play with the volume knob, if that sort of thing bothers you.  As I said, I often listen at lower levels and I've never had a problem with volume adjustment or channel imbalance.

What source are you using with the pure? My GO100's line out is 1.3vrms. That may give me more range on the volume pot...

The Pulse does have a lot more going for it power-wise, and I find the sound to be more open.

However, the GO 100 IEM does sound very good for its size and price compared to the Pulse.

It really comes down to the overall feature set you want, and your budget.

I would be interested to know if the differences in the DAC section have anything to do with that, as opposed to just the amplification...

I just jumped ship - From a DX90 w/ PB2 to an Astell & Kern AK120 II. The funny thing about the K10 is that they sound great straight from my phone, but will just keep scaling with whatever I put in front of them. They really like going balanced, but they don't need gobs of power.

Yeah, even though I haven't received or listened to them yet there is that feeling of 'am I giving them what they need?' (without going completely overboard... I'm looking at you Headamp GS-X MKII & Cavalli Liquid Gold)

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #8,074 of 36,064

Yeah, even though I haven't received or listened to them yet there is that feeling of 'am I giving them what they need?' (without going completely overboard... I'm looking at you Headamp GS-X MKII & Cavalli Liquid Gold)

Look at it this way instead: They're going to sound awesome. Then, when you feel the itch to upgrade, the headphones won't be holding you back. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #8,077 of 36,064

What source are you using with the pure? My GO100's line out is 1.3vrms. That may give me more range on the volume pot...

I would be interested to know if the differences in the DAC section have anything to do with that, as opposed to just the amplification...

7th gen iPod Classic and CLAS.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #8,080 of 36,064
Does the K10U have the same tuning as the K10?

The shorter length of the tubes of the K10U will affect the sound but if anything else had been changed.

Having heard the K-10U's a number of times and now owning the custom K-10's I didn't see much of a difference in SQ. Cheers

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #8,081 of 36,064
  Does the K10U have the same tuning as the K10?

The shorter length of the tubes of the K10U will affect the sound but if anything else had been changed.

The drivers and tuning should be 100% the same, so given a perfect seal from both, they should sound identical.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #8,082 of 36,064
Hmm having heard both they are slightly different, i cant tell you exactly what the differences are though because i only tried the k10u very briefly, but it is slightly different. Also, even with the driver tuning the same the length of the tubes do make a difference. The presence of silicone tips, or whatever you choose to use, also affects the sound by virtue of the acoustic properties of different materials forming the bore of the tip. Different sized tips would affect this too.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #8,084 of 36,064
  The drivers and tuning should be 100% the same, so given a perfect seal from both, they should sound identical.

Yes and No

The issue is ear canal resonance will change per product (CIEM v/s IEM).  

Quick example.

Take 3 glasses (same in size and make)

1 glass empty

1 glass 1/4 full

1 glass 1/2 full

Tap each glass, you will hear a difference in tone quality.

That tone qulaity represents the natural resonance of the glass in a certain condition, empty, 1/4 full, 1/2 full

The glass represents the ear canal, the water represents CIEM canal length/ material, and it also represents the IEM canal/ear tip

So the point is, even if the sound is the same mearsured at the mouth of the CIEM or IEM, due to the canal resonance being impacted differently by either a CIEM or an IEM, there very well may be a difference in percieved sound quality.

Now, does that mean that a CIEM sounds better than an IEM?

Nope, just because there may be or  may not be a percievable difference, only the listener can determine which sounds better to them.

They may feel that the IEM sounds better......   or may feel that the CIEM sounds better.

Different strokes for different folks.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back