Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Feb 23, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #8,611 of 36,066
  Thank you for your reply. Close to making a decision.

There are pros and cons to both -

Universals are easier to use, especially within the first few weeks of using a CIEM for the first time. That insertion can be a bit tricky. They also have better resale value, and in most circumstances, easier to get a hold of. In this case, the K10U seems backordered, but you might get one before a custom version, which could take around 4-6 weeks (mine was around 6 weeks, which was pretty fast, considering that my order was placed on Black Friday).

Customs on the other hand take longer to receive, require a bit more maintenance (cleaning of sound tubes), and are a bit more difficult to sell. However, one factor stands above all else, and remains the number one reason why I went the custom route - comfort. Your mileage may vary, but listening to universals for just half an hour tends to leave my ears sore. CIEMs though, can stay in for close to 2 hours, and you'll barely notice they're there. Another advantage of a custom K10 is the myriad personalization options present. You'll be like a kid in a candy store designing your own.

Either way, you're getting one of the best IEMs out there, and I'm sure you'll never regret the purchase. 
smile.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #8,612 of 36,066

Universals are easier to use, especially within the first few weeks of using a CIEM for the first time. That insertion can be a bit tricky. They also have better resale value, and in most circumstances, easier to get a hold of. In this case, the K10U seems backordered, but you might get one before a custom version, which could take around 4-6 weeks (mine was around 6 weeks, which was pretty fast, considering that my order was placed on Black Friday).

Customs on the other hand take longer to receive, require a bit more maintenance (cleaning of sound tubes), and are a bit more difficult to sell. However, one factor stands above all else, and remains the number one reason why I went the custom route - comfort. Your mileage may vary, but listening to universals for just half an hour tends to leave my ears sore. CIEMs though, can stay in for close to 2 hours, and you'll barely notice they're there. Another advantage of a custom K10 is the myriad personalization options present. You'll be like a kid in a candy store designing your own.

Either way, you're getting one of the best IEMs out there, and I'm sure you'll never regret the purchase. 
smile.gif

Great summary! I'll add one more thing. With universals you can share with others.

Of course this can be both a good and bad thing. Good that others will be able to hear what you are going to be raving about. Bad that they might want to borrow them! 

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #8,613 of 36,066

smile.gif

Well said. I've always went the universal route mainly due to the added cost and time (I'm a want it yesterday dude when I really want something).  Plus, with universals you can share your enjoyment with whom every you like. 

I've never really had "comfort" issues with the universals I've had over the years...UE, Shure, Westone...Now JH Roxy and Noble K10U. I believe most of the challenge here is finding the right tips that give you comfort for the sound you like to hear.  Once you do you are set!  

I'm coming off using Westones (UM3Xs & WR4s) for the last 7 years or so, exclusively with Shure Olive foam tips; I also use stock JH foams in my Roxys with the Bass set around 10 o'clock.  When my K10Us arrived this past Friday, I immediately went for the foams and was a bit taken back; for me, foam tips make the K10Us dull and distant.  Needless to say I was a bit concerned at first, then the whole tip hunting game began.  I tried the Blue and Red silicone tips provided by Noble, the sound came back to life, but the comfort and seal were just not 100% there.  I went into my JH set of silicone tips and tried a pair on the K10s ...Voila!  The JH tips are a bit more oval (egg shaped) and extend slighly more into my ear canal to get the fit and feel just right.  So, a little time and patience may be required to get your universals just right.

As Malevolent said, you're getting one of the best IEMs out there.  I think you will be happy either way you choose.

~Enjoy!

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #8,614 of 36,066
  .With universals you can share with others. Of course this can be both a good and bad thing. 

Agreed...my 13yr old daughter wanted to listen to my K10Us; after she did she simply said, "early birthday present?"

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #8,615 of 36,066
  Agreed...my 13yr old daughter wanted to listen to my K10Us; after she did she simply said, "early birthday present?"

That would be a heck of a birthday present for a 13 year old! Maybe a Sweet 16 present? 
beyersmile.png

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #8,617 of 36,066
Feb 23, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #8,618 of 36,066
  That would be a heck of a birthday present for a 13 year old! Maybe a Sweet 16 present? 
beyersmile.png

Ha....Starting her off with my 4Rs for now. When the K20 comes out, she will inherit the K10 
dt880smile.png

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #8,619 of 36,066
  Ha....Starting her off with my 4Rs for now. When the K20 comes out, she will inherit the K10 
dt880smile.png

My 10 year old just got my Senn Urbanites that I won at the CanJam SWAG in October, upgrading from some Ety's I'd given her a while back. These kids are doing pretty well getting our castoffs! 

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #8,620 of 36,066
  These kids are doing pretty well getting our castoffs! 

This is true...but, for the few bucks I'd get for them used, I'd rather see my daughter enjoy what ever life is left in them.   

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #8,621 of 36,066

smile.gif

I listen to my K10U's for 8-10 hours a day, it is all about finding the right tips for comfort & signature. The Noble tips would hurt after a few hours, & in the end I had to adapt a 3rd party set of tips.

Now I am able to enjoy the universals to their fullest. If you need to, test as many tips as needed, it will be well worth your time.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #8,622 of 36,066

May I humbly suggest some metal for you?  

[List of RAWR]

Thank you, but no. Two of my friends like metal as well and have tried getting me on board too. I've tried several of the bands from your list and I genuinely dislike the sound of them. Some love oysters, some puke at the mere sight of them. Some love metal... I really don't. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #8,623 of 36,066
  Thank you for your reply. Close to making a decision.

Go custom brah...when you're spending this sort of money you want the best right?  If it were me I wouldn't want to be left wondering if the customs sound better.  But downfall; fitting issues may occur and resale value will plummet to somewhere around 50%-60%. 

The wait and effort of customs is well worth it! Have had my K10's on this morning during a flight and now on a train and am in my own little bubble of peace and musical goodness. Nobody's gonna break my stride, nobody's gonna slow me down...

Cheers

smile.gif

One more vote for the custom route here! I've borrowed the N4 from a friend and while I like the sound of them, I went back to my K10 after an hour, simply because customs are so amazingly comfortable. Once they're in, they just disappear and the only thing you feel is the music... the sweet, sweet music.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #8,624 of 36,066
  Thank you, but no. Two of my friends like metal as well and have tried getting me on board too. I've tried several of the bands from your list and I genuinely dislike the sound of them. Some love oysters, some puke at the mere sight of them. Some love metal... I really don't. 

HAHA, funny man. =P  That's the list that I've maintained for years, when ever someone new asks about metal i'll paste it for em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back