Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jul 1, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #4,849 of 36,067
I was waiting for a few more reviews of the Roxanne (curious about cnet's Steve Guttenberg's upcoming review compared to his latest favorite, the Westone ES60), but now the sale price makes me want to jump on some K10s today.

Has anyone compared to the ES60 (has anyone even heard the ES60?) or can anyone give definitive comparisons to the Roxanne?

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #4,851 of 36,067
I was waiting for a few more reviews of the Roxanne (curious about cnet's Steve Guttenberg's upcoming review compared to his latest favorite, the Westone ES60), but now the sale price makes me want to jump on some K10s today.

Has anyone compared to the ES60 (has anyone even heard the ES60?) or can anyone give definitive comparisons to the Roxanne?

I have not heard the ES60's.

But I heard the universal Roxanne's at the Newport show. I had my K10's with me specifically to compare with the Roxannes. Even though it was a short listening session at a show, the differences were very obvious right away.

Both the Roxannes and K10's are good. I had to turn the bass all the way down on the Roxannes to sound acceptable to me. The Roxannes were what I would describe as "in your face". I guess that means very forward sounding. Maybe because the sound was darker and with the highs less pronounced, the mids and lows are louder. To hear the highs, I had to turn up the volume. My personal preference is for high end detail and speed, so the Roxanne sound was not to my taste. I did not get any air or space. The sound was closed and "loud".

The K10's to me are clearly much more balanced. They sound much more "open" too. I guess one would call that better imaging but I really don't hear imaging in headphones compared to speaker imaging. But I think because the highs are less dark and have more air, you can hear the details better and sounds more open.

Even if you factor out the 7, 8, or 9 month wait for the Roxanne, for my tastes, the K10 wins hands down. But I am biased since I own the K10's and not the Roxannes.

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #4,852 of 36,067
I have not heard the ES60's.

But I heard the universal Roxanne's at the Newport show. I had my K10's with me specifically to compare with the Roxannes. Even though it was a short listening session at a show, the differences were very obvious right away.

Both the Roxannes and K10's are good. I had to turn the bass all the way down on the Roxannes to sound acceptable to me. The Roxannes were what I would describe as "in your face". I guess that means very forward sounding. Maybe because the sound was darker and with the highs less pronounced, the mids and lows are louder. To hear the highs, I had to turn up the volume. My personal preference is for high end detail and speed, so the Roxanne sound was not to my taste. I did not get any air or space. The sound was closed and "loud".

The K10's to me are clearly much more balanced. They sound much more "open" too. I guess one would call that better imaging but I really don't hear imaging in headphones compared to speaker imaging. But I think because the highs are less dark and have more air, you can hear the details better and sounds more open.

Even if you factor out the 7, 8, or 9 month wait for the Roxanne, for my tastes, the K10 wins hands down. But I am biased since I own the K10's and not the Roxannes.

Thanks. That helps a lot. I'm currently using some Etymotic ER4 with custom silicon molds from Sensaphonics and looking for a step up

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #4,854 of 36,067
Well... I did it. I found myself alone at my computer, the sale had been announced, and there was no adult supervision in sight. I now await the arrival of my K10s - feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

This is for the Wizard... I'm the one who asked you to recreate a glacier :)

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #4,856 of 36,067
No Worries,Wizard Will nail it for you.
cool.gif
He's got mad skillz:D

Thanks for the reassurance... big purchase, still a little nervous. This will be my first CIEM.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #4,858 of 36,067
FYI... the glacier is a symbol for my mid-life crisis. At 51, I find myself in college again studying geology and climate change in an effort to save our species from global warming. It would have been easier to just buy a sports car :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #4,860 of 36,067
I wonder how my mid life crisis will turn out. And that discount literally pushed me to the fun side of the fence, got meself a PR... By the way, any amp or dap that can support this unique iem? 240ohm vs 30 ohm, which means I can't switch like I wish, or I will be at risk of killing my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back