Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #34,681 of 36,051
Didn't hear Mentor yet, but I believe that Mentor must be compared to Ronin, not Ragnar.
How’s Ronin tuning vs. Odyssey, putting aside the Odyssey’s visceral sub-bass?

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #34,682 of 36,051
I own a Ragnar and recently got to hear the Mentor. Tuning is very very different. Mentor is surprisingly warm (warmer than I was expecting it to be), Ragnar is cold (but to me, perfect when paired with the right cable to warm it up a bit). I didn’t do a thorough a/b but my impression is that the technicalities are very roughly in the same general ballpark, but with an edge to Ragnar.

Mentor, to me, sounded a lot more like Odyssey as far as tuning, but with perhaps marginally better technicalities and notably less bass.

if you were to listen to both Mentor and Ragnar, you’d know pretty instantly which one you prefer. And it would also depend on your preferred genres.
Fully agree on that, combination of Ragnar+PWA FT cable is a bit warm, it's the best synergy I've heard so far.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #34,683 of 36,051
I own a Ragnar and recently got to hear the Mentor. Tuning is very very different. Mentor is surprisingly warm (warmer than I was expecting it to be), Ragnar is cold (but to me, perfect when paired with the right cable to warm it up a bit). I didn’t do a thorough a/b but my impression is that the technicalities are very roughly in the same general ballpark, but with an edge to Ragnar.

Mentor, to me, sounded a lot more like Odyssey as far as tuning, but with perhaps marginally better technicalities and notably less bass.

if you were to listen to both Mentor and Ragnar, you’d know pretty instantly which one you prefer. And it would also depend on your preferred genres.
Also this answer is exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much!

So Mentor and Ragnar are complementary, I like that a lot. Now, I'm curious to see if Trifecta can take on both of them and earn a place of its own - which I assume it will.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #34,684 of 36,051
How’s Ronin tuning vs. Odyssey, putting aside the Odyssey’s visceral sub-bass?
Ronin is in a completely different league in terms of sound quality. Ronin's mids are more resolving and clear, warmer, you can feel instruments and vocals with your body, it's magic, if you heard Traillii, they have a lot in common. Unfortunately Ody doesn't have it, same with treble, Ronin's treble has the same quality as Ragnar but lower in db, so that Ronin is not perceived as an bright IEM compared to Ragnar, Odyssey's treble lacks harmonics imo, I would prioritize Ody having treble similar to Odin, not EVO. Bass is stronger and hits harder in Ody of course, but I can't say that I lack bass in Ronin, there is a little more mid bass than in Ragnar, but less sub bass, but it is just as fast and textured.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #34,685 of 36,051
Also this answer is exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much!

So Mentor and Ragnar are complementary, I like that a lot. Now, I'm curious to see if Trifecta can take on both of them and earn a place of its own - which I assume it will.
Sorry mate, there is no IEM on the market that can compete with Ragnar's treble and clarity in general :)

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #34,687 of 36,051
That sounds good! :)
Just keep in mind that you need a really good seal to make them sound like everyone is describing. I couldn't get the greatest fit and really didn't hear anything except for treble. I didn't find them as "detailed" as others are describing. It was was just a lot of treble, but I actually hear more nuances with the Mentor. I wound up returning the Ragnar for the Mentor. Obviously everyone's opinion will differ. The best thing to do if you can is audition them.

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #34,688 of 36,051
Mentor and Ronin are high on my list for a next purchase. I would love anyone with both or having heard both to offer more impressions if you can. It would be extremely helpful. I haven’t heard either but will be getting a mentor tour unit after canjam.

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #34,689 of 36,051
Mentor and Ronin are high on my list for a next purchase. I would love anyone with both or having heard both to offer more impressions if you can. It would be extremely helpful. I haven’t heard either but will be getting a mentor tour unit after canjam.
I asked guys from Watercooler to compare these for me on CanJam, I'll post it here if it happens. I also consider Mentor :)

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #34,691 of 36,051
If I don't succeed finding a matching DAP for my Sultan in KL this weekend then I will move on to Singapore to compare Ronin - Ragnar - Mentor and do a write-up.

drftr

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #34,694 of 36,051
If I don't succeed finding a matching DAP for my Sultan in KL this weekend then I will move on to Singapore to compare Ronin - Ragnar - Mentor and do a write-up.

drftr
To read you 😎😉

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #34,695 of 36,051
I'm a huge fan Noble Audio generally and of Ragnar specifically, it was instant love at first listen, nothing I have outside of Noble Audio comes close to the sound, control and staging the Ragnar have on the music I like to listen to.
Other Noble Audio siblings such as Kublai Khan sound somewhat similar, but Ragnar adds depth, weight and clarity, the Sultan adds more bass (less well defined) and lacks some of the texture and clarity in the upper treble. I could have been happy with any of the 3, but you can't un-hear what you've heard. Ragnar are just incredible and seem to touch my soul every time I listen to them.

Mentor, Phönix LE and Odyssey I think all sound "similar to each other" but with varying degrees of impact.
Odyssey is visceral and full on, fatiguing ones emotion rather than fatiguing to listen to, they grab you and don't let go.
Mentor a slight step down from Odyssey slightly more balanced with a strong slightly aggressive mids presentation.
Phönix LE is vastly improved in the sub and mid bass over the OG Phönix. Easily the most comfortable and easy to listen to, yet maintains the engagement of Odyssey and Mentor. Best way I can describe them is to say they disappear into my ears and never leave me wanting.

Trifecta are on their own, I liken them to a big pair of 1980s Technics 3 way floor standers powered by a class A amp, perhaps the most "speaker" sounding IEM I've heard.
They do nothing particularly well and by the same token nothing particularly bad either, they are just a different sound to all above. I don't find them particularly engaging, it's more the difference and presentation. I think I'll tire of that difference/novelty over time.

The term complimentary is perhaps (like all things audio related) very subjective. None of these IEMs sound similar bar the Mentor Odyssey and Phönix LE grouping.
I'm in the process of choosing 3 from my audition candidates, to give me the best possible engagement with what I like to listen to.
So far it is #1 Viking Ragnar, #2 Phönix LE and I can't decide on my third choice between Odyssey for visceral impact or the lowly Szalayi for sheer value or Trifecta for something totally different. Any three would add a different sounding IEM to a collection, perhaps complementary as a collection but in their own right as different as your children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back