Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Nov 6, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #23,208 of 36,060
My k10's will be here Friday or early the week after so I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on a balanced cable that matches well with my k10's. Im purchasing the onkyo dpx1 1st but figured never hurts to go ahead and get my ducks in a row. This is my 1st real flagship ciem's so I want these babies singing! I tend to go all out with this audio stuff. I'm addicted now so thanks a lot head-fi!

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #23,209 of 36,060
My k10's will be here Friday or early the week after so I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on a balanced cable that matches well with my k10's. Im purchasing the onkyo dpx1 1st but figured never hurts to go ahead and get my ducks in a row. This is my 1st real flagship ciem's so I want these babies singing! I tend to go all out with this audio stuff. I'm addicted now so thanks a lot head-fi!

Balanced is over rated, but if you feel the need to try it, talk to ted.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695297/the-new-headphone-lounge-thread

tedallen0220@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #23,210 of 36,060

tedallen0220@gmail.com
thx Wata! The dpx1 has the balanced output so if I don't find out for myself im always gonna look down at it and say damn i wonder if I could get more out of my k10's. Im a newbie in this wonderful world of audio equipment so gotta find out for myself. Thx for always giving me advice though. Always no i can count on you whether it's a smart ass comment or not! Lol. I think Brannan would agree with me about the smart ass comments! Lol thx man

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #23,211 of 36,060
thx Wata! The dpx1 has the balanced output so if I don't find out for myself im always gonna look down at it and say damn i wonder if I could get more out of my k10's. Im a newbie in this wonderful world of audio equipment so gotta find out for myself. Thx for always giving me advice though. Always no i can count on you whether it's a smart ass comment or not! Lol. I think Brannan would agree with me about the smart ass comments! Lol thx man

I only speak the truth.
wink_face.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #23,212 of 36,060
Wata speaks the truth... Wata lie!! :wink:

I agree, I've really not heard much a difference between balanced and SE, that could have been my setup though. I just ordered a new balanced cable for a different iem, let's see this time if I wasted another $300. You think I'd learn.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #23,213 of 36,060
Wata speaks the truth... Wata lie!!
wink.gif

I agree, I've really not heard much a difference between balanced and SE, that could have been my setup though. I just ordered a new balanced cable for a different iem, let's see this time if I wasted another $300. You think I'd learn.

I can say for sure balanced was worse for my AK240 and AK120 II, the 2.5mm plug is weaker than the 3.5mm. So there were static issues with it hitting the player and causing the noise, it would kinda be grounding or something. This might not be an issue with other players though, but I sure didn't plug it in and get better sound as so many have said.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #23,214 of 36,060
I experienced a similar issue on my ak240. I was so frustrated. A number of members had the same issue. I purchased a zx2 then promptly sold my AK. I shipped it out, next day, my zx2 was stolen. I was so damn angry. After that, I think I took a break from HF, as I knew I wanted another DAP. I decided to live with the Fiio X3 for a bit.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #23,215 of 36,060

tedallen0220@gmail.com

Balanced is not overrated, if implemented well. I did notice an improvement in overall SQ with my current K10 and Sony ZX2 combo (even if it's technically pseudo balanced), several of my friends who have the same DAP have also experienced improvements when they did the same.

No idea about the Onkyo, and I would never buy an AK, so can't comment on either of those. Ted for sure is great to deal with, would definitely recommend.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #23,216 of 36,060
Balanced is not overrated, if implemented well. I did notice an improvement in overall SQ with my current K10 and Sony ZX2 combo (even if it's technically pseudo balanced), several of my friends who have the same DAP have also experienced improvements when they did the same.

No idea about the Onkyo, and I would never buy an AK, so can't comment on either of those. Ted for sure is great to deal with, would definitely recommend.

Well, I don't know why it wouldn't be implemented well with AK, the static thing was an easy fix, plenty of people on both sides  who say its better and people who didn't notice any difference.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #23,218 of 36,060
Only difference I heard with AK was the power. My X7 I don't hear a difference either, other than the power. Lots of people seem to hear a difference with the ZX2 though.

People perceive loudness as better sound, now since the AK players output is higher on the balanced its easy for them to think its better sound. Testings needs to be done at the same decibels to be accurate, which is almost impossible to verify.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #23,219 of 36,060

Depending on the device a balanced implementation may be better than the SE implementation. That doesn't mean balanced is by default a better topology to use. Many TOTL gear uses SE and measures much better than many TOTL balanced topologies. I have both SE and balanced TOTL sources and the simple fact is the implementation matters, not the connection. It's easier to get a better sound from a balanced topology, which is why it often sounds better vs SE on the same device. It's not the cable or the headphone end that sounds better balanced. It's the source topology implementation.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #23,220 of 36,060
I am thinking of getting a pair of Noble K10 customs on Black Friday. I am upgrading from JVC FX-850. Can anyone tell me how does the K10's bass compare to the FX-850? FX-850's bass is said to be near LCD-2's level. I know the Noble K10 is an upgrade in every other aspect but I wanna know about that bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back