Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Sep 29, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #22,231 of 36,135
  So I've found myself with a bit of a problem since getting my K10's, hopefully you guys can help. I typically just stream from tidal but have currently run out of ideas of what to listen to and looking for something new because I want to keep listening to them. So typically listen to a lot of EDM/modern music. Open to try anything except Metal and Jazz

Think this may be a bit of a first world problem, can't work out what to listen to on my $2000 CIEMS.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. and big thanks to everyone at Noble who were amazing during my purchase and for a great product 
beyersmile.png

Some of the albums I have in heavy rotation are:
Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase (prog rock, superb sound quality)
Röyksopp - The Inevitable End (EDM/Electro)
Opeth - Pale Communion (Prog rock)
Skunk Anansie - An Acoustic Live in London (rock, great live album)
Hans Zimmer - soundtracks to Interstellar and The Dark Knight Rises
Fink - Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet (chill rock, live album)
Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein - Stranger Things Soundtrack (Synthwave)
Agnes Obel - Aventine (Female vocal, piano, strings)
Radiohead - In Rainbows (Prog/alt rock)

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #22,232 of 36,135
Oh I'm not claiming that K10/Katana is THE BEST. At this level it pretty much comes down to taste anyway, so I don't think anyone can say that one TOTL (C)IEM is objectively THE BEST. What I meant was that you'll be happier in the long run if you get the one you really want, not just the one you can afford right now. The most expensive isn't always the best (for you), but don't let the price tag deter you. You'll spend some more time saving up, but you won't spend any time regretting your purchase later on...

Completely agree with this BTW.

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #22,233 of 36,135
It's been a week since my K10Us arrived and I'm having a blast rediscovering old (and new) music.  I love my HD600, but it can come off as anemic or polite for bass heavy music.  In the past, I would have to crank the knob on my Predator to squeeze out any enjoyment from heavy metal or edm, but that came at the cost of sibilance and some major headaches.

The Andromedas I had on loan had great mids and highs but lacked the punch that my TFZ S5 gave.  Unfortunately, the TFZ (after mods) still lacked that extra clarity to really push vocals.  The K10U is the first iem that delivers on every department with zero compromises.

I'm listening to Mick Gordon's work and it's absolutely bonkers on the K10U.

At Doom's Gate made me grow chest hair and simultaneously burned the hair off my eyebrows.

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #22,234 of 36,135
After going through a number of ToTL IEMs, I finally decided to pull the trigger on the K10 customs. Ordered with a Wizard reprint design just now, and will be doing + sending impressions in early next week. Fingers crossed for the fit! And the long wait begins...

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #22,235 of 36,135
After going through a number of ToTL IEMs, I finally decided to pull the trigger on the K10 customs. Ordered with a Wizard reprint design just now, and will be doing + sending impressions in early next week. Fingers crossed for the fit! And the long wait begins...

Good luck! Did you get to hear them before ordering?

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #22,236 of 36,135

Good luck! Did you get to hear them before ordering?

Thanks! I did not hear them before ordering, being CIEMs. I've heard numerous people say that the aluminum universal K10Us actually do sound noticeably different (especially in the treble region), so I'm not sure if it will be indicative of the K10 customs anyway.

I based my decision on all the comparison reviews I've read (since I've been through some other ToTL IEMs that people have compared the K10s to). I'm looking for essentially the SE846s but a bit more treble extension (and detail) and a bit less bass. So overall warm, detailed, and still with a bit of bass/mid-bass emphasis, and seems like the K10s fit the bill perfectly.

anyway, still kind of a risky buy though especially considering the price, but hopefully they will not disappoint.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #22,237 of 36,135
Thanks! I did not hear them before ordering, being CIEMs. I've heard numerous people say that the aluminum universal K10Us actually do sound noticeably different (especially in the treble region), so I'm not sure if it will be indicative of the K10 customs anyway.

I based my decision on all the comparison reviews I've read (since I've been through some other ToTL IEMs that people have compared the K10s to). I'm looking for essentially the SE846s but a bit more treble extension (and detail) and a bit less bass. So overall warm, detailed, and still with a bit of bass/mid-bass emphasis, and seems like the K10s fit the bill perfectly.

anyway, still kind of a risky buy though especially considering the price, but hopefully they will not disappoint.

Would of been nice if they let you demo one without some ridiculous percentage $ just to *restock* them huh?

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #22,238 of 36,135

Would of been nice if they let you demo one without some ridiculous percentage $ just to *restock* them huh?

you can't rly demo or return CIEMs though, and for their nature, i dont blame them. they take a while to make and need to fit your ears.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #22,240 of 36,135

Holy sour grapes Batman. Is it you want a pair but are unwilling to pull the trigger? Noble's policies are well within industry standards. There a gripe thread if you want to rant. Hey in fact I started it! Need a link?

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #22,241 of 36,135
Holy sour grapes Batman. Is it you want a pair but are unwilling to pull the trigger? Noble's policies are well within industry standards. There a gripe thread if you want to rant. Hey in fact I started it! Need a link?

I've had plenty of demo units from multiple Manufacturers, while they all want shipping and a deposit of course, they don't want 20 percent restock fee.

Anyways getting one from a friend and will post some impressions after about 5 days, I can't do them justice for a full review with just 5 days, but it's the aluminum universal version

Let's see what its all about

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #22,242 of 36,135

Hopefully you will like them as much as I do. I only had a vague idea from hearing the old universal. I think they were ABS. Anyway. You only really know when you get a perfect seal.
I looked on the wait as character building. :wink:

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #22,243 of 36,135

Hopefully you will like them as much as I do. I only had a vague idea from hearing the old universal. I think they were ABS. Anyway. You only really know when you get a perfect seal.
I looked on the wait as character building.
wink.gif

thanks! yeah i figured since with CIEMs i'll most likely order blind, can't go wrong with the #1 rated custom on head fi lol. i have yet to see a single non-positive review for the k10s

btw what does ABS mean?

Sep 29, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #22,244 of 36,135
thanks! yeah i figured since with CIEMs i'll most likely order blind, can't go wrong with the #1 rated custom on head fi lol. i have yet to see a single non-positive review for the k10s

btw what does ABS mean?

ABS -Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (OK. I admit. I had to look it up!)
A hard high strength plastic.
Yes. Hopefully you can't go far wrong. I can't help wondering about those damn Katanas though! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back