Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Feb 25, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #18,331 of 36,078
I can enable ACG when I'm in SE mode and there's a noticeable difference to my ears.  May completely be a placebo, but I swear that it sounds better to me.  When using the balanced jack, I do prefer the regular "balanced" mode rather than the ACG mode.  To make sure I wasn't crazy, I just spent the last hour listening in all of the combinations (3.5mm / 2.5mm / ACG / balanced) and could definitely hear stuff.  Not such a wasted hour. :)  The sound is fantastic regardless of mode!

Every thing I've read about the DP-X1 says ACG is balanced only.

'In addition to a 3.5 mm headphone jack, the DP-X1 also features a 4-pole, 2.5 mm output that supports both BTL (Bridge-tied load) and ACG (Active Control Ground) balanced drives – the latter is said to offer greater stability, more space and dimension and a clean, crystal clear sound, with more definition in the lower registers."

Including Onkyo's own website:

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=DP-X1&class=Accessory&source=prodClass

"Balanced Drive Options

Balanced 2.5mm 4-pole output supports the more standard Balanced (BTL) drive as well as the more esoteric ACG (Active Control GND) drive.

ACG drive gives greater stability: increased S/N ratio; greater spatial dimensionality, and clean sound; greater deliniation for lower frequencies in hi-res audio, and overall robust and taut sound. BTL drive supplies increased power.

Power gains and increased sound separation associated with balanced output are repurposed to create increased stability for a clean signal and greater sound clarity, especially compared to unbalanced drive."

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #18,332 of 36,078
John, I wanted to compliment you once again on your incredible tuning of the K10s. I'm currently reviewing the Campfire Audio Jupiters and while they have created an amazing earphone, the K10 really shines in comparison thanks to your tuning. I'd say that the Jupiters are technologically / scientifically comparable, but they don't compete in the art of tuning for that natural, real-world sound you crafted with the K10s. Bravo once again

+1

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #18,333 of 36,078
I misplaced (read 'left behind on a plane', :disappointed: am still hoping some Good Samaritan turns it in, or appreciates what he's found, if he decides not to! ) my K10Us (old model) recently. So, post haste bought the Savant Us to listen on the new Onkyo DAP.

Relying completely on my audio memory here, but I do have a sneaky feeling the Savants are very, very close to the K10s, and sound even better for certain genres. YMMV and I cannot do a side by side comparison, but there's magic in its tuning.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #18,334 of 36,078
Feb 25, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #18,336 of 36,078
John, I wanted to compliment you once again on your incredible tuning of the K10s. I'm currently reviewing the Campfire Audio Jupiters and while they have created an amazing earphone, the K10 really shines in comparison thanks to your tuning. I'd say that the Jupiters are technologically / scientifically comparable, but they don't compete in the art of tuning for that natural, real-world sound you crafted with the K10s. Bravo once again

I had the K10 in my ears for 6 months(!) before posting my review. Mine were the first set to make it out of the Noble Skunkworks and I wanted to be sure that I got the review right. Everything I threw at them just sounded amazing and I found myself constantly losing focus, getting lost in the music instead of listening for details and taking notes. At first I thought it was just New Toy Syndrome playing tricks on me, but as I spent more and more time listening to them, I realised that they really were that good. By now, two years later, there may be other iems that rival the K10 on a technical level, but I don't think there's anything else out there to match that magical tuning. The work of a wizard indeed!

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #18,337 of 36,078
I misplaced (read 'left behind on a plane', :disappointed: am still hoping some Good Samaritan turns it in, or appreciates what he's found, if he decides not to! ) my K10Us (old model) recently. So, post haste bought the Savant Us to listen on the new Onkyo DAP.

Relying completely on my audio memory here, but I do have a sneaky feeling the Savants are very, very close to the K10s, and sound even better for certain genres. YMMV and I cannot do a side by side comparison, but there's magic in its tuning.
They are similar in the general signature (smooth and musical, never have any harshness anywhere), but they are also pretty different in several areas. For me the upper mids/lower treble and the bass regions have the biggest difference. Their presentation is also very different, as described by Noble themselves, Savant focuses on details retrieval and a relatively flat sound, while the K10 is about the getting you immersed in the music, that warmth, power, lush feeling.

They each have their strengths and weaknesses and they complement each other really well.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #18,338 of 36,078
They are similar in the general signature (smooth and musical, never have any harshness anywhere), but they are also pretty different in several areas. For me the upper mids/lower treble and the bass regions have the biggest difference. Their presentation is also very different, as described by Noble themselves, Savant focuses on details retrieval and a relatively flat sound, while the K10 is about the getting you immersed in the music, that warmth, power, lush feeling.

They each have their strengths and weaknesses and they complement each other really well.

Well said

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Feb 25, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #18,339 of 36,078
BTW, are there any decent photos showing the size difference between the old version vs. aluminum?

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #18,341 of 36,078
The K10U is so old now, time for something new. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Man, I had no idea its been around for 18 months or so. UPS tracking shows a package coming today, I wonder what it could be. 
cool.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #18,343 of 36,078
Tis is a wizard univ, next to k10ua, not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but almost

Thanks!

The K10U is so old now, time for something new. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Man, I had no idea its been around for 18 months or so. UPS tracking shows a package coming today, I wonder what it could be. 
cool.gif

I know, currently I am debating whether to upgrade to the new version and sell my old one, or get the Shure KSE1500.  Upgrading is a safe bet and I am sure there will be takers for my old unit, but the new Shure is just something I really want to try...

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #18,345 of 36,078

Users who are viewing this thread

Back