[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Feb 12, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #617 of 1,082
Quote:

The AKG K3003 is €1,200 not €1000. There's been only one report of a driver failure as far as I know and AKG is replacing the whole set. I wonder if there's even been anything wrong with a Mecerdes Benz, a BMW, a Rolls Royce, a Jaguar, A Ferrari, a Lexus…a JH13, a JH16, a ES5...

Yes, I guess you could say all the above products are an "utter joke".

Hmmm, they're still €1000 at Colette's, which was the first store in Europe to stock the K3003.

I actually tend to agree with piotrus-g, one shouldn't have to worry about build quality at that price level. A few days ago I let dfkt try my K3003 and while he was obviously very impressed with the sound quality, he also showed me that there's air between the upper cable and its sheath. Now, I know we have a two year warranty and I haven't encountered any problems so far, but his comments about build quality still made me feel a bit uneasy.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #620 of 1,082
@music Of course there're cases when luxury products broke and I bet that pitfalls also happen to best cars, watches manufacturers.
Though let's face it souldn't happen at this price point... I haven't heard about fails in UM, Weston or similarly priced toK3003 SpiralEar customs. Instead of looking for an excuse for shortcomings let's point companies that can meet requirements of customers

Anyways what I like about Phonak is that they simply work with their customers to improve products. I'm still a happy 111 listener. I'm sure that they will solve cable problem quickly

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #621 of 1,082
Quote:
?? Not sure I understand what you mean by that.

If I understood him correctly, the K3003's upper cable is allowed to move freely inside its sheath and he didn't think that's a proper design. Again, I haven't encountered any actual problems so far, but still felt uneasy after that comment, since he usually knows his stuff.

I agree the IE8/80 have the best (removable) cable. I haven't tried in a long time, but I believe you can wear them downwards.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #624 of 1,082

Quote:
You've obviously missed some UM QC issues lately and a few from the $950 Westone ES5. Even my $850 custom Westone ES3X had a few build-quality issues on three (yes, three!) of the 4 sets I received, as did two sets of UM3Xs (the first batch of the fixed-cable UM3Xs had quite a few units with a rattling driver as did the first batch of the removable-cable model). I haven't heard of that many Spiral Ears owners yet, so I can't comment on those. There have been QC issues reported on JH13s, JH16s & the big mess with the JH-3A as well as issues with UE customs being reported from time to time.

OBVIOUSLY, we all want companies to deliver quality products and offer first-rate CS when something goes wrong, specially when said products are very expensive (see the many terrible & embarrassing CS issues reported by many JHA customers, for instance).

BUT, you spoke of K3003 driver failures as if that was a rather common issue and, as far as I know, there's only been one case reported. Then, of course, you went on to say that was an "utter joke". To me, what you did was not only giving people wrong information, but downright misleading.

I did not hear about late UM issues. When I've ordered my UM IEMs 2 years ago their quality was top-notch.
Well, my first ever IEMs - Westone UM1 went dead after 2 months in Y-spliter area. I have reviewed and used W3 and W4 and I can't say anything wrong regarding quality. Don't know about cIEMs. What are quality issues for you? Dead driver or bubbles in shell?
I don't care much about JH for many reasons, besides CS issues with which I'm familair.
Was customers complaining about UE when it wasn't Logitech?

You can call my post whatever but I know when pay that money for earphones I want them to work and be very durable. Even if it's one time occurance of such issue.

Also EOT for me

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #625 of 1,082
I'm going to say something quickly that I saw in the W4 thread (restated in my own words), which I see applies here as well...  The ratio of people with cable problems doesn't directly relate to the ratio of total people with the 232s.  Most people complain about problems on here (and are right to do so), but many don't complain when they don't have problems (since it's expected).  So yes, 2 people with 232s on Head-Fi have cable problems.  Does this mean every person will have cable problems?  Absolutely not.  Does it mean that Phonak should look (somewhat) into this?  Of course, find out what's wrong, and fix it for the next batch (I think they did this when they released their original PFEs).  That is the bigger picture here, not the now, but the future.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #626 of 1,082
Quote:
With regards to the K3003 cable, what you and dfkt report/desribe is VERY similar, if not practically identical to the original EX1000 cable (sold only in Europe & Asia and not found on the EX600 cable), which I know you don't have with you at present, ie the EX1000 upper AND lower parts of the cable are "allowed to move freely inside its sheath". I've had no issues with my 10-month-old EX1000 cable and it remains virtually as good as new. I did notice that straight away with my K3003s on the first day and remember how much I liked that aspect of the original Sony cable.

I sincerely hope that you are right and dfkt is wrong, my friend.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #629 of 1,082

Quote:
If I understood him correctly, the K3003's upper cable is allowed to move freely inside its sheath and he didn't think that's a proper design. Again, I haven't encountered any actual problems so far, but still felt uneasy after that comment, since he usually knows his stuff.

I agree the IE8/80 have the best (removable) cable. I haven't tried in a long time, but I believe you can wear them downwards.

Haha, yeah I wear my IE80 downwards since it's wayyyyyy more comfortable that way.

On topic: Wow, didn't even notice this thread was still alive :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back