[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Jan 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #586 of 1,082
As always :) I'm watching my salt intake though :D

Can you comment on K2 vs PFE232 : mids?

Quote:
Take it with a grain of slat, my friend. What the EX1000/PFE232 is to me, it certainly may not be for you, or other listeners. Our good friend, lee, for instance, will tell you time and time again how horribly unbearable (
tongue.gif
) the EX1000 was for his ears, and I respect that, as he is merely telling it like he hears it, just as I've done with the way I hear the PFE232. Those that are quite content with the EX1000's highs, sure enough, the PFE232 will leave them with an even bigger smile. I tried going back to even my e-Q5 and GR10, but it wasn't the same. Not to say the latter two deserve any less attention than the PFE232, because I find them both excellent in their own right, but one listen between them and the PFE232, and you'll know just what I mean. 
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #587 of 1,082
Can you comment on K2 vs PFE232 : mids?

I would, my friend, but it's been far too long since I've heard the K2, and I sure as hell don't intend to go off of my memory, as audio memory tends to be rather misleading, more often than not. Best to ask in the K2 thread, whether or not anyone happens to own both, which as far as I know is rather unlikely since the K2 is no longer available to outside buyers.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #588 of 1,082
Quote:
They would be somewhere between transparent and lush.  The 232s do have a "fuller" sound to them.

Quote:
As per that scale, I'd place them a third of the way between transparent and lush, hence they'd be much closer to transparent. The slight hint of warmth keeps them from sounding anything but dry/cold/clinical.

Hmm... more transparent mids than the SE530, but without crossing over into cold and clinical side of things, and with more and better quality treble, but without becoming sibilant or harsh? Sounds about right to me. In fact, I listened to my SE530's just yesterday (I switch back and forth between my in-ears, whenever the mood is right), and coming back to the PFE232's was just as you've described it. 
smile.gif

Thanks a lot.  That sounds great.

One more quick thing and I'll stop bugging you.  I don't really have enough experience with higher end IEMs to know first hand if others besides the SE530/530 share this quality and I don't think I saw it mentioned in this thread but I'd assume that the PFE 232s don't give anything up to the 530's "pinpoint" imaging.  Correct or incorrect?

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #589 of 1,082
Does an external amp make any difference with the pfe232's? One review I read said it made quite a bit of difference, and describing them as feeling "limitless" amped. I'll need to dig around and see if i can find a link to it.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #591 of 1,082

Quote:
Does an external amp make any difference with the pfe232's? One review I read said it made quite a bit of difference, and describing them as feeling "limitless" amped. I'll need to dig around and see if i can find a link to it.

Well, I don't own too many amps, I'm more of a portable listener, however, using the E1, I did find that it did help out with the clarity in the mid-range a bit.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #592 of 1,082
Thanks a lot.  That sounds great.

One more quick thing and I'll stop bugging you.  I don't really have enough experience with higher end IEMs to know first hand if others besides the SE530/530 share this quality and I don't think I saw it mentioned in this thread but I'd assume that the PFE 232s don't give anything up to the 530's "pinpoint" imaging.  Correct or incorrect?

Correct. The PFE232 definitely makes no compromise, where imaging and separation are concerned. 
smile.gif

Very much so. For starters, they aren't very efficient (as compared to many other universals I own), and hence an amp really does help here. With most unamped sources, I'm forced to push them to noticeably higher volume levels than I'd normally listen at.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #593 of 1,082

Quote:

Very much so. For starters, they aren't very efficient (as compared to many other universals I own), and hence an amp really does help here. With most unamped sources, I'm forced to push them to noticeably higher volume levels than I'd normally listen at.

Great, I purchased a headstage arrow off a fellow head-fier. Hoping it pairs well with the 232's

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #594 of 1,082
Quote:
Correct. The PFE232 definitely makes no compromise, where imaging and separation are concerned. 
smile.gif

Cool.  Thanks a lot.

Now if only I could order them right now instead of having to sell some stuff to free up the cash first.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #596 of 1,082
I very much understand :) Thanks

Quote:
I would, my friend, but it's been far too long since I've heard the K2, and I sure as hell don't intend to go off of my memory, as audio memory tends to be rather misleading, more often than not. Best to ask in the K2 thread, whether or not anyone happens to own both, which as far as I know is rather unlikely since the K2 is no longer available to outside buyers.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #597 of 1,082

Users who are viewing this thread

Back