[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Feb 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #647 of 1,082

Quote:
CK10 sounds a bit metallic compared to 232.

I'm going to add to this, but comparisons are with B2s (which have been said to be extremely similar to the CK10).  Like said above, they are still more metalic compared to the 232.  The midrange clarity does have a slight increase though, but the timbre on the 232 outdoes that on the B2 slightly.  Soundstage is the same way, this time around, it's no competition.  The bass on the 232s is bigger, better, and just outright outdoes that of the B2.  The B2s fatality comes with the punch which the 232s do greatly with great impact and body while the texture is just goreous on the 232s, the B2s have texture, but can't compete with the 232s.  THe B2 treble can be sibilant and harsh at times while the 232s may be walking the line heading that direction, they never reach sibilance or harshness.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #649 of 1,082
CK10s are vividly painful
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #650 of 1,082
Got my 232s back today (well a different pair)
regular_smile%20.gif
  Back in audio nirvana
tongue_smile.gif
  Back to listening to ma tunes
etysmile.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #653 of 1,082
and I'm done.. No seriously...
ksc75smile.gif
 My seemingly endless journey of searching for a universal IEM is over.  It ends here with the PFE 232's.  They are everything I hoped they would be and more.  Detailed, but not overly analytical and definitely the best bass from a BA IEM that I've heard to date.  I only kick myself for not buying them sooner.  They are a great compliment to my Q701's and only sacrifice in soundstage, at least on first listen.  Ok, back to listening I go.. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #654 of 1,082

Quote:
and I'm done.. No seriously...
ksc75smile.gif
 My seemingly endless journey of searching for a universal IEM is over.  It ends here with the PFE 232's.  They are everything I hoped they would be and more.  Detailed, but not overly analytical and definitely the best bass from a BA IEM that I've heard to date.  I only kick myself for not buying them sooner.  They are a great compliment to my Q701's and only sacrifice in soundstage, at least on first listen.  Ok, back to listening I go.. 

It's definitely the best I own right now.  Even in comparison to the Westone 4Rs, just the slight differences make the big picture. I do want slightly more clarity that the Westones give in the midrange, but the increase in quality in the bass and highs do make me like the 232s better although the 4Rs are technically better.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #655 of 1,082

Quote:
It's definitely the best I own right now.  Even in comparison to the Westone 4Rs, just the slight differences make the big picture. I do want slightly more clarity that the Westones give in the midrange, but the increase in quality in the bass and highs do make me like the 232s better although the 4Rs are technically better.

It's been so long since I owned the W4's, that they are now only a very fond memory.  Thankfully the 232's are filling the void that they left behind, and then some..  I know what you're talking about regarding the mids, but the 232's are only slightly behind.  If my memory serves me correctly, the 232's do have the edge with snare drum and cymbal realism, at least from memory.  Just like the W4, the 232 doesn't do anything blatantly wrong, but it's strengths make all the difference for me. One thing I've noticed so far is that I don't need volume for detail retrieval. I can listen at lower volume levels and pick out all the little things that required more volume with other IEM's. By the way, which filter do you prefer?  I just tried the black, but I've gone back to the grey.  The grey is my preferred filter with the 112, and seems to be my favorite with the 232 as well.  

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #656 of 1,082

Quote:
 It's been so long since I owned the W4's, that they are now only a very fond memory.  Thankfully the 232's are filling the void that they left behind, and then some..  I know what you're talking about regarding the mids, but the 232's are only slightly behind.  If my memory serves me correctly, the 232's do have the edge with snare drum and cymbal realism, at least from memory.  Just like the W4, the 232 doesn't do anything blatantly wrong, but it's strengths make all the difference for me. One thing I've noticed so far is that I don't need volume for detail retrieval. I can listen at lower volume levels and pick out all the little things that required more volume with other IEM's. By the way, which filter do you prefer?  I just tried the black, but I've gone back to the grey.  The grey is my preferred filter with the 112, and seems to be my favorite with the 232 as well.  

You nailed it, even with your fond memories
regular_smile%20.gif
  The 232s are only slightly behind in the midrange, but everything else is just much better.  The highs have more of a delicacy to them compared to the W4Rs and more of a sense of realism.  I feel that at a low volume, both IEMs doe equally well with details.  The only thing that the W4s really destroy at is isolation.  I, too, use the grey filters.  On the 022s I use the grey filters as well (but at times feel the blacks do do justice). 

The thing I love about the 232s is that they aren't the least bit offensive to my ears.  The balance is just wonderful, the package as a whole a whole level higher as well.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #659 of 1,082
I got a chance to listen to the PFE232 and I was caught off guard. I didn't expect them to sound that good. I only listened to them with the grey filters but it was enough to get me hooked. This hobby is too expensive. I guess it's time to sell off some more gear...

I have the ASG-1 and according to my ears, the PFE232 obliterates them. The hyperbole I just used is not an exaggeration. For me, it's a sublime sound signature. Kudos to Phonak for creating this little beauty
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #660 of 1,082

Quote:
I got a chance to listen to the PFE232 and I was caught off guard. I didn't expect them to sound that good. I only listened to them with the grey filters but it was enough to get me hooked. This hobby is too expensive. I guess it's time to sell off some more gear...

I have the ASG-1 and according to my ears, the PFE232 obliterates them. The hyperbole I just used is not an exaggeration. For me, it's a sublime sound signature. Kudos to Phonak for creating this little beauty
biggrin.gif

Yeah Rip, I hear them the same way and agree with your description.  I gave up the fight, ordered the 232's and I couldn't be happier.  The only IEM that I've owned that come close to the 232's was the W4, but the more I listen to these, the less I remember about the W4..
ksc75smile.gif
  Heck, I like the 112's more than the ASG's, but that's a story for another day. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back