News! Colorfly how a awesome new DAP!
Feb 15, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #61 of 272
You guys are killing me with the insights. If it sounds better than the DX200 with Amp8... I wonder how it sounds against A&K offerings.

Romi Audio told @jmills8 they rate it above the Astell&Kern SP1000 SS Ultima which is quite an achievement, plus you not only have a working EQ (lol sorry A&K), you have a 32 band PEQ and a 7 band professional PEQ.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #62 of 272
Better, equal, as good ? Not easy to say because some people will love a brand, or look or whats the most expensive or the most hyped product. I had the SE1000 , Lotoo Paw Gold but sols them not cause they were bad but I wanted a bit more emotions from my music. I found it with the Cayin N8 , Pleneu L and the U8. With the U8 if you going to use high end well recorded music it will easily match or sound better than the most expensive daps. My focus now is how well will it sound on average recorded stuff, seems the U8 will give you want you give it.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #64 of 272
Better, equal, as good ? Not easy to say because some people will love a brand, or look or whats the most expensive or the most hyped product. I had the SE1000 , Lotoo Paw Gold but sols them not cause they were bad but I wanted a bit more emotions from my music. I found it with the Cayin N8 , Pleneu L and the U8. With the U8 if you going to use high end well recorded music it will easily match or sound better than the most expensive daps. My focus now is how well will it sound on average recorded stuff, seems the U8 will give you want you give it.
Agreed I can't say either way as I've never heard any A&K i've always stayed clear because of the reports of the EQs not making much of a change. I always EQ everything so need a good EQ (must be my ears :gs1000smile:)

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #67 of 272
Agreed I can't say either way as I've never heard any A&K i've always stayed clear because of the reports of the EQs not making much of a change. I always EQ everything so need a good EQ (must be my ears :gs1000smile:)
AKs eq is garbage.AK mainly for as is sound.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #69 of 272
@jmills8 how much of a difference between the modded and stock U8?
Just got it. Seems with mod it has an extrrnal amp inside so TH900 and HD800 works directly on the U8.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #70 of 272
Just got it. Seems with mod it has an extrrnal amp inside so TH900 and HD800 works directly on the U8.

Did they mention if battery life would be reduced after the mod? im guessing it will depend what its driving. Would love to know what they changed so I could mod mine.
It wouldn't be worth posting there and back, unless I can get a new one from HK modded then shipped.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #71 of 272
Did they mention if battery life would be reduced after the mod? im guessing it will depend what its driving. Would love to know what they changed so I could mod mine.
It wouldn't be worth posting there and back, unless I can get a new one from HK modded then shipped.
Understood, Ill give it more time with it and get more details about what was changed/added. Shipping to UK to Hong Kong might be like 12 USD but Hong Kong to UK due to battery you will need to us DHL which is around 50 USD.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #72 of 272
Understood, Ill give it more time with it and get more details about what was changed/added. Shipping to UK to Hong Kong might be like 12 USD but Hong Kong to UK due to battery you will need to us DHL which is around 50 USD.

Cool thanks, I do have a contact in HK where I got my U8 so he may send a new one to Romi Audio for me and then ship.
I'll open mine up this weekend to have a look around as I also want to see if there is room to fit a 4.4mm pentaconn in there.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #73 of 272
Cool thanks, I do have a contact in HK where I got my U8 so he may send a new one to Romi Audio for me and then ship.
I'll open mine up this weekend to have a look around as I also want to see if there is room to fit a 4.4mm pentaconn in there.
Oo a 4.4 would be great. Ha he said they actually put a bigger battery once.

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #75 of 272
Romi Audio told @jmills8 they rate it above the Astell&Kern SP1000 SS Ultima which is quite an achievement, plus you not only have a working EQ (lol sorry A&K), you have a 32 band PEQ and a 7 band professional PEQ.

Well it's so subjective isn't it when something is "better" than another. But it does intrigue me that the U8 sounds better than the SP1000 in some way. I preferred the SE100 than the SP1000.

Currently own the AK70ii. I reckon the U8 would fit nicely with natural/neutral sounding IEMs. It's hard to discern whether I should go for it because I would rather much like to test products rather than go pull the trigger instantly.

Not an eq type of person, always a plug and play. When I read headfonia's review the words that struck me the most was regarding the treble. Have not heard someone describe it that way in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back