NEWS: Beats in a lawsuit with Yamaha
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #46 of 493
you know, im rather surprised there's so little beats hate considering how the brand has become head-fi's whipping boy as of late.

but back on the topic, i believe that this is a ploy by yamaha to score some attention from the public, because i highly doubt that such a well-established company would be as stupid as to just copying another company's models. but then again, stupidity is not uncommon...

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #49 of 493
i dont think that is possible, its impossible to track those kind of people in China.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #50 of 493
Quote:
you know, im rather surprised there's so little beats hate considering how the brand has become head-fi's whipping boy as of late.

but back on the topic, i believe that this is a ploy by yamaha to score some attention from the public, because i highly doubt that such a well-established company would be as stupid as to just copying another company's models. but then again, stupidity is not uncommon...

We tend to... take things maturely in public 
wink.gif
 or at least hold things in

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #52 of 493
if i were a consumer that is interested in both the beats headphone design and the sound quality i am receiving from them.

then this piece of news is only good news and gives me a good direction for purchase. 

obviously beats feels threatened here and is retaliating and when someone  retaliates to a threat, it means there is serious contesting going on. if the yahama design pulls it off well enough in my preference and offers better sound quality upon auditioning both, then why not go with the yamaha? 

haha, it's a win for me as long as the yamaha product is still on shelves in stores.

and of course i must not be a fanboy for either brand to benefit from this comparison.

lawsuit wise there is nothing worth commenting on as it's a total waste of time. try to look at it as another hobby of the filthy rich.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #53 of 493
Quote:
I think Yamaha took the design similarity to another level as evidenced by their own ad referenced in post #6 that practically taunts Beats.

If that's the case, the advertisement cited could very well get Yamaha Corporation in trouble with the British Broadcasting Corporation, who holds copyright on "Doctor Who" (originally filed for in 1967 for the BBC's ongoing sci-fi drama), in addition to the suit launched by Monster Cable and Dr. Dre on specification infringement.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #56 of 493
Several people have made the comparison between this lawsuit and Apple v. Samsung, and without opening a can of fanbois, I have to say that I find these two cases differing greatly in merit. In the overall look, it seems pretty obvious that Yamaha was knowingly imitating Beats, which could reasonably be said to cause confusion in the marketplace. (This is, of course, setting aside very valid points about whether Beats ripped off Shure or other companies themselves, among many other issues). 

However, I found the Apple v. Samsung comparison to be almost wholly lacking in merit. The summaries and breakdowns presented on Ars Technica really made it seem like Apple was grasping desperately at straws, and I don't think anybody with even a rudimentary knowledge of either operating system (even with Samsung's goddawful TouchWiz interface) would even momentarily confuse one for the other. They are just too vastly different, and any arguments about their similarities could just as easily be made to a number of other products to further underscore the ludicrousness of Apple's position, in my opinion. 

But nobody ever introduced me with "His Right Honorable..." in front of my name, so my thoughts here are worth pretty much horseapples. Boo bears. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #57 of 493
Feb 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #59 of 493
Quote:
I didn't get the "Dr.... who?" thing until now. LOL. Way to go Yamaha. 
As for suing... meh. I wouldn't blame either of them. Yamaha was kinda asking for it w/ the "Dr... who?" ,which IMO is really hilarious, and the mainstream like for beats is outrageous. 
I even advised a guy in my class to go the head-fi, but nope, he just went straight ahead and bought beats.
Overall, it's kinda boarder-line grey.

Edit:
But this:

I would love it if Yamaha tapped David Tennant or Matt Smith to wear their headphones. It would fit with the tagline and be a big "neener neener" to Beats because it's a perfectly valid ad then. 

Quote:
^This I'm surprised only one person has said this.  Even if beats loose their case they still win because of all the attention they're getting.

See, I'm fully expecting Yamaha to make a *big deal* out of this. Beats at this point doesn't really need publicity, or the gains there would be marginal. But if Yamaha makes a big public fuss and has their defences geared to go, they can only go up from there because public awareness in terms of lawsuits is kinda anti Beats anyways due to affiliation with Monster (oh they're suing somebody again?)

Or maybe I'm just being overly academic here and assuming too much of the public. After all, an educated public wouldn't have been such sheep to begin with right?

/sigh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back