NEWS: Apple acquires Beats for $3 Billion (Update: Full interview on recode.net)
May 31, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #211 of 303
I've never understood why the iPhone/iOS doesn't offer equalization like the iTunes app does. Seems like the hardware on the iPhone would be up to the task, no? When listening using iTunes I will sometimes tweak a little depending on which phones I'm using and if there is a particularly heinous-sounding recording I'm listening to. No way to do this on an iPhone.

May 31, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #212 of 303
I've never understood why the iPhone/iOS doesn't offer equalization like the iTunes app does. Seems like the hardware on the iPhone would be up to the task, no? When listening using iTunes I will sometimes tweak a little depending on which phones I'm using and if there is a particularly heinous-sounding recording I'm listening to. No way to do this on an iPhone.

Use the Denon Club app, never look back. I prefer it infinitely more than the stock music app. Costs $1.99 for eq.

May 31, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #214 of 303
Isn't it ironic that Apple, never known for high audio quality 'phones/buds, has acquired a company that also makes less-than-optimal audio quality 'phones?

I can only hope that perhaps the Beats line will come out with models geared to listeners with discerning ears. (Not that I will probably ever considering buying Beats phones. I value sound quality way more than making a style statement with trendy, overpriced bling.)

May 31, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #215 of 303
  Isn't it ironic that Apple, never known for high audio quality 'phones/buds, has acquired a company that also makes less-than-optimal audio quality 'phones?

I can only hope that perhaps the Beats line will come out with models geared to listeners with discerning ears. (Not that I will probably ever considering buying Beats phones. I value sound quality way more than making a style statement with trendy, overpriced bling.)

I know right, quality of music reproduction has never been Apples First priority, and it won't be. Apple needs and wants to give their customers the best of everything, the simplest solution to any problem, it's that simplicity and elegance that leaves consumers LOVING or HATING apple.

Beats is a very friendly company for Apple to intergrate into it's overall concept, going back to Seenhesier, what would Apple do with 3-4 headphones that work best with an amp? Sennhesiers buisness isn't "Apple Friendly" the solve the problem of "high quaity qudio reproduction" with a some what complicated answer, IE get the best Headphone and pair it with equally GOOD Dacs, Amps ect...

Apple on the other hand, solves the problem of "high quality Audio reproduction" with a sufficent and effiecient solution, IE use high quality wolfson Dacs, and optimize play back for use with low impdeance headphones oh and it HAS TO BE SEXY, beats is just that. Low impdeance, easy to drive and it looks good, all Apple has to do now is tune them a little differently which Beats old parent company Monster, has been doing with it's own headphones. 

I think Apple stands to give Monster some compeition, 

May 31, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #216 of 303

May 31, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #217 of 303
Your just witnessing the beginning of the demise of Apple. Without the former head and focused direction? Mistakes were bound to be made............

May 31, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #218 of 303
  Your just witnessing the beginning of the demise of Apple. Without the former head and focused direction? Mistakes were bound to be made............

Isn't it nice to be able to blow $3B, piss off your stockholders and still have about $150B left over?

May 31, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #219 of 303

There is built in equalizer with profiles in the settings app in iOS.
Also you can use free apps that allow you to customize your settings even according to your headphone (they have a database of headphones and best profiles for them). I use Groove which is great for me, but you can use Beat, Denon, Onkyo  and about thousand others you may wish

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #220 of 303
There is built in equalizer with profiles in the settings app in iOS.
Also you can use free apps that allow you to customize your settings even according to your headphone (they have a database of headphones and best profiles for them). I use Groove which is great for me, but you can use Beat, Denon, Onkyo  and about thousand others you may wish

I hope that we may see EQ in iOS8 being released maybe tomorrow?

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #221 of 303
Now, while Apple's own earbuds not bad at all (some say even one of best in their price category), there is a lot of room for improvement. Apple surely would need some help in this field, and best probably would be to OEM Beats IEMs, but with better, not bass-heavy sound. Beats Tour IEM with active noise canceling have very good reviews on amazon, I would imagine something like that might be incorporated in Apple earbuds. Also 

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #223 of 303
Man, you already have hundreds of apps for iOS with equalizer and built in equalizer in OS7 works too. Not sure what you asking for, its already there.

The original post was just asking for a multi band in an iOS phone or iPod playback. Just a statement that it may become a reality. I know aftermarket apps do it now.

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #224 of 303
   and best probably would be to OEM Beats IEMs, but with better, not bass-heavy sound.

I don't know if they would ever want to bundle beats products with their phones/tablets.  I think so much of their brand image would be lost doing that with every phone sold.  Buy a mac book and get a free pair of beats? Sure that would seem acceptable by their standards but I'm sure designers/marketing at apple take pride in seeing all these people walking around the streets with ibuds (or whatever you call them) hanging out of their ear.  

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #225 of 303
Apple buys Beats.

I groan... indication that Apple is even less interested in good music quality than aI thought....

But then last night I listen to the entirety of the interview on Re-Code...

Take a look at the whole interview on Re-Code and listen carefully to what is said... You'll be horrified that Eddy Cue says Beats built "incredible headphones"... we need to take him to task on twitter for that one (@Cue) ... but keep going, most of the discussion is not about headphones, but rather around music, the industry and what Beats brings to Apple.

This is another Pono'esque indication that the industry understands there is a desire for better quality out there.

What was said that resonated with me:
  1. Apple just spent a lot of money (3B) to improve Music on their platform. They're serious.
  2. They bought people with "Ears" who can listen critically and help Apple's engineers make their hardware sound better.
  3. They bought a discovery/curation service run by true professionals -  people who know music.

So, for the vast majority of users out there this will hopefully lead in a year or three to a new line of Macs, iDevices and iTunes which will significantly improve the DACs etc, and provide a much better way to discover new music.

Iovine is also looking to "fix" the implosion of the music industry by reinvigorating it ala Neil Young.... which may be a taller order.

Apple is clearly looking to innovate around the Music experience. Good for us.

Pretty sure Iovine and his boys don't listen on Beats.... and pretty sure they'll push for the entire music delivery from encoding to sound-waves to suck a hell of a lot less... 3B less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back