NEWS: Apple acquires Beats for $3 Billion (Update: Full interview on recode.net)
May 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #196 of 303

Beats earns $1.3B a year. Apple don't have to do anything to get a return on their investment.

You just ruined my weekend, I think I'm starting to feel ill. And don't you dare say, "Good on'ya," no thanks.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #197 of 303
  Well Apple could have bought Whatsapp for $19 billion.... They were under pressure for sitting on a big pile of cash and not looking particularly innovative. In the context of that at least this make some sense on a certain level, though if it was my money I would rather have purchased Sennheiser and have them churn out fashionable headphones. Goes to show that this is more about the Beats service and getting some creative thinking and industry know how on board.

When you don't follow the trend of announcing vapourware all the time, or stuff that turns out to be far worse than hyped to be, but are instead busy working on great stuff in secret, a company certainly can look this way. 

They aren't "under pressure" from anyone -- they don't give a toss. Apple are extremely focussed. They know what they want to make and do. They could buy any of a bazillion companies, but none that people are suggesting would make sense. For example, WhatsApp. Why would they buy a messaging service when they already have a successful one?

We're so used to reading rubbish from the press, including rubbish from "market analysts" that we get used to these reactionist ideas about what Apple "should" do. 99% of the time they prove to be wrong. Apple is successful because they say "no" to this kind of thing.

May 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #198 of 303
  Apple could not afford to Buy Sennheiser nor would Sennheiser benifit from a sale, Beats run my... what two Hip Hop Producers? It much better in Appls hands, and the two guys who what owned it, Dre and that other fellow get tons of money. I doubt either of those two have a passion for the technology behind their headphones, yes the two may LOVE music, but not in the way the engineers of Sennhieser do, Beats isn't a headphone you buy for the sound... maybe in a few years it will b but it's more of a nice sound social statement [and a cash cow] 

Apple couldn't afford to buy sennheiser??? What are you talking about? 

May 30, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #199 of 303

Simple... Apple didn't buy Sennheiser because the Sennheiser 1/8" headphone plugs don't fit into the hole of the Apple iPhone 5S Case... they have a shoulder around the metal plug that is too fat... just like Grado does on their 1/4" to 1/8" converter.

And Apple didn't buy Grado either.

Q.E.D.

May 31, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #201 of 303
Haha. You're joking right?

Gee.... Makes as much sense as some other comments... But yes, I was joking.

(and I DO get irritated at headphone manufacturers who put too-fat shoulders on their plugs. Ever try to take off an iPhone 5S case? Maybe they pretend to be back in Olden Times, before there was an iPhone, before there was portable music, before the transistors, when amplifiers were based on vacuum tubes. Oh wait, that's NOW, for audiophiles!)

May 31, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #202 of 303
Apple could actually give Beats a ruler flat frequency response. :)

I would then buy a pair.

May 31, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #203 of 303
Apple could actually give Beats a ruler flat frequency response. :)

I would then buy a pair.

Ya, wouldn't that be nice? Never gonna happen though, because all the gullibles would lose their bass, yo.
It would make a lot more sense to make them that way, and then build in a software EQ to every iDevice and if people want to crank their frequencies permanently,
they could do it with the software. However that would make too much sense.

May 31, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #204 of 303
Ya, wouldn't that be nice? Never gonna happen though, because all the gullibles would lose their bass, yo.
It would make a lot more sense to make them that way, and then build in a software EQ to every iDevice and if people want to crank their frequencies permanently,
they could do it with the software. However that would make too much sense.

Around 1993 Panasonic had active portable "Shock-wave" bass headphone player that became bass head shakers at a flick of a switch. No reason they couldn't make a flat frequency response that could then be additional amp modified.

May 31, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #205 of 303
Sennheiser as a label with the general public might not have a lot of clout, but there would be nothing stopping Apple from putting on their own branding. It would be a solid entry into high-end IEMs as well. Could even be used to promote and bundle accessories with their music recording programs. This is really where I would like to see Apple regaining the innovation initiative. Also wasn't suggesting that Apple buy Whatsapp. Was just noting the general trend with tech companies splashing ridiculous sums of money on stuff of dubious value. I hope this trend is not an indication of the start of long period without real innovation happening. This crazy buying going on seems like big companies trying to hedge their bets where the next money maker is going to come from.

Apple used as a rule, to only invest in companies that would add value to them, especially in the long term. Guess it is easier making poor sounding headphones better, than trying build a brand from scratch. People were asking when Apple was going to get into the acquisition game with everybody buying companies left, right and centre. So Apple buys a very public brand with a guaranteed revenue spinner, pretty smart, though conservative, but will let the CEO keep his job and keeps the shareholders at bay for the time being.

May 31, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #206 of 303
I think Tyll's analysis over at Innerfidelity about this being about hearables is a pretty good one actually.

May 31, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #207 of 303
"Hearables" are the ultimate in why I think technology companies have run out of ideas. Just like Oculus Rift in a way. Fitness fanatics and athletes might like it, but face it, the world is not getting fitter, its getting lazier. CTOs need to watch "Wall-E" and plan accordingly.

May 31, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #208 of 303

Yea, they couldn't afford to, what could Apple offer Sennheiser... money? I think Sennheiser already has enough of that and they have what appears to be a very steady market presance, I don't see Sennhesier as a company established soley for the pourpose of making money, I think they along with Beyer and AKG have a group of employee's who are hopefully as dedicated to the pursuit of headphones and high end sound, and they've made a good buisness doing what they hopefully have a passion for

Beats on the other hand did not arrise out of a passion for sound, I mean DR. Dre was THRILLED to be the first billionare in the hip hop buisness, he's cleary more interested in money than how his headphones sound, and honestly there's nothing wrong with that. He had and still has a very prosperous buisness and he sold his buisness for a nice sum, I think for him it's a smart move

now for, Sennheiser, AKG and Beyer along with Audio Technica and the other serious audio companies, I don't think Apple has anything to offer them, a partnership maybe but an outright buy out I don't think they'll have any traction to do so 

"Hearables" are the ultimate in why I think technology companies have run out of ideas. Just like Oculus Rift in a way. Fitness fanatics and athletes might like it, but face it, the world is not getting fitter, its getting lazier. CTOs need to watch "Wall-E" and plan accordingly.

Yea I also think the Hearables is what they intend to do with it, and yea that also worries me. Not to mention when people complicate things, issue arrise. I like my headphones to simply play music 

May 31, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #209 of 303

You clearly haven't been to many places/countries or met that diverse a group of people.

May 31, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #210 of 303
"Hearables for the audibely challenged"
My ears are ringing at the thought of the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back