NEWS: Apple acquires Beats for $3 Billion (Update: Full interview on recode.net)
Jun 1, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #227 of 303
You know, this and Tyll's analyses would have been viable, had it not been for the fact that Steve Jobs isn't running the show anymore. And do recall that Steve Jobs was pretty adamant against giving any greater emphasis on games on iDevices, only for that to be thrown out the window.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #228 of 303
Ill happily be lumped in with Tyll... Spending $3B and keeping folks like Reznor around (Whose all over not screwing up quality) will all help push in the right direction.

As usual, we shall see.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #229 of 303
I watched a good part of the interview, and they repeated that they loved how Beats sounded- as in, they likely aren't going to change the quality. Beats are okay headphones, but for the price, they could be improved a lot. I've been hearing about how Apple may try to implement hi-res, and if that isn't true, then they explained in the video how they want to have better audio than other companies; my point is, with headphones like these, and no improvements, the higher quality will be wasted. No, I'm not just a Beats hater, I've listened to a few pairs, and I didn't enjoy them. I was really hoping that Apple would plan to improve the SQ of Beats because Apple is a great company, and they're renowned for their quality. The streaming service might be good, but in the headphones department, it seems that it really won't be better for us who enjoy better SQ. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #230 of 303
I believe this has zero to do with headphones. I don't think they're interested in headphones, they're too personal.

I think they're interested in improving the quality of everything-but-the-headphones.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #231 of 303
I still stand by my and 1c3dog's statements, though.

Though, it would be nice to see easier access to higher quality music. The more people get into hi-fi, the more people will potentially get into the hi-fi scene, which would be great for us and the audio companies we love.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #232 of 303
  I think they're interested in improving the quality of everything-but-the-headphones.

Beats has been actively working on improving the audio in their headphones, specifically to address the common criticisms from "audiophiles". That was long before the Apple deal, and I doubt Apple is going to put an end to that. It shouldn't be too long before we see some of the results from this initiative.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #233 of 303
Got a chance to listen to the new Beats Solo2 this weekend. It's much better than the previous one....much.

It's got a problem though: Not enough bass!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #234 of 303
  Got a chance to listen to the new Beats Solo2 this weekend. It's much better than the previous one....much.

It's got a problem though: Not enough bass!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Beats fanboys is not going to like this, they hate mids.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #236 of 303
Proprietary headphone interfaces, brilliant. So let me guess, all regular headphone sockets will be removed from future models forcing Apple fan boys to buy their revolutionary new headphone technology
normal_smile .gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #237 of 303
  Proprietary headphone interfaces, brilliant. So let me guess, all regular headphone sockets will be removed from future models forcing Apple fan boys to buy their revolutionary new headphone technology
normal_smile .gif

Of course, since Apple likes to do these things. That's why the created the Apple Lossless File Format (ALAC) and made it open source and ROYALTY FREE. And why did they do that? Because ALAC is easier to decode than FLAC and gives Apple devices better energy efficiency. But they didn't stop supporting mp3 or your own CDs.

Since they produce a few hundred million headphones/headsets already every year (every iPod, iPhone etc. comes with one) they could have done that years ago. But they are not.

The headphone jack is not going anywhere. However what's possible is, that you will get better audio quality via the lightning port. Which is something you can already do now with a DAC/Amp and a camera connection kit, though it's a bit bulky. Imagine that kit being integrated in a headphone - that would be smart....

So, you want "superior" quality, you pay for it. THAT does sound more like the apple I know. :)

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #238 of 303
So now the new news from WWDC is that "Apple has introduced new specifications for manufacturers in the company's Made for iPhone (MFi) program that allow them to create headphones that connect to iOS devices via a Lightning cable rather than a regular 3.5mm headphone jack"

Put dat DAC into the Cans... I wonder whats possible here...

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #239 of 303
This out 16 hours ago. New mfi specs!

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/03/apple-introduces-mfi-specs-for-lightning-cable-headphones-support-arriving-in-future-ios-update/

The Lightning headphones will be capable of receiving lossless stereo 48 kHz digital audio output from Apple devices and sending mono 48 kHz digital audio input. The input means that the headphones will also support a microphone for audio input following Apple’s upcoming update. Manufacturers will be able to take advantage of Apple Headphone Remote controls like Volume Up/Down/etc, as well as other buttons for launching specific apps such as iTunes Radio or initiating playback controls on iOS. In addition, the headphones can be made to work specifically with a companion iOS app and launch a specific app when connected to an iOS device.

The DACs top out at 48kHz. Hopefully we will see HD DACS coming out next year.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #240 of 303
There's a lot possible here....a LOT!!!

In fact, in this article I wrote prior to the Lightning cable announcement, I propose that headphone jacks on portable devices might simply go away.

It is the most common failure point on those devices; hand-held manufacturers must hate those things.
Apple patented a flexible 3.5mm plug to reduce jack strain when inadvertently yanked out.

In 20 years (and likely a lot less) a headphone with a cable on it is going to look just as obscure to the common person as a turntable or open-reel deck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back