Newbie: iBasso D10/Predator/Pico for Grado 325is
Dec 30, 2009 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

grif82

New Head-Fier
These are my first pair of "real" cans. Debating on which portable amp to use with them. I mainly listen to music through a laptop, so a DAC is a must. Appreciate any help, thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 10
The D4 is of the same musical brilliance as the D10 with topkit, so unless you need optical in, I would recommend the D4 which is on par with the PICO DAC/AMP but much costlier.
I don't fell the Predator comes close to either the Pico or the D4.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 10
I am also in the same position, but with my portable setup. Yeah, I used to only use my Grado's at home, but music just got so dull without them... so now i wear this HUGE beanie over the cans to keep them from falling off my head while skating around campus.

anyway, the headphone jack is about to break on my iphone, so I was thinking about snagging a T4 so I could run from the LOD to an external amp and never worry about apple's ****ty Jacks again. the T4 seems like a good fit for 325i's because IMO(and in most of yours) the grados need a bit more bass presence and less shrillness on the high end, but I'm still not sure. I really want to get an external amp so I could use my 30gig video (that jack broke long ago) instead of my 16gb phone. But I'm still unsure as to which amp is right for my setup.........

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 10
I am currently running the 325is from my D4 (X1060 as the source) and loving every minute of it. Big downside is battery life, but there are tips on that in the D4 thread.

estreeter

(Trippie, I didnt enjoy the results when I hooked my 160GB ipod up to the D4, but thats just me - you might be happier with the warmer Wolfson iPods)

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip.Rock.Post.Hop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also in the same position, but with my portable setup. Yeah, I used to only use my Grado's at home, but music just got so dull without them... so now i wear this HUGE beanie over the cans to keep them from falling off my head while skating around campus.

anyway, the headphone jack is about to break on my iphone, so I was thinking about snagging a T4 so I could run from the LOD to an external amp and never worry about apple's ****ty Jacks again. the T4 seems like a good fit for 325i's because IMO(and in most of yours) the grados need a bit more bass presence and less shrillness on the high end, but I'm still not sure. I really want to get an external amp so I could use my 30gig video (that jack broke long ago) instead of my 16gb phone. But I'm still unsure as to which amp is right for my setup.........

T3

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 10
t3 has gotten better reviews than the t4,

also whats your budget. that might help me help you more.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 10
I'll spend 300(more for a portable tube) if I thinkits worth it. But since these gratos are low impedence, I don't think I really need a lot of drive, just a complementative sound signature. I'm def gonna use it with the 5G video... Was thinking about diymodingit, but decided to leave it because I hear it makes for a bright tone, not what I need for these cans. I don't really have much premise/experience for this train of thought, so Is that sound audiophile logistics?

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 10
I agree that you do not want a bright source with the Grados. That was my imediate feeling with the Classic vs the warmth of my Sony.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 10
Spent a bit of time with the Classic plugged into my T3 this afternoon, and its definitely an improvement in terms of power for the 325is. The benefit of amplification goes beyond adequate volume and I think the T3 does a good job of bringing out the detail in high bitrate music : the 325is is a headphone that will shine a light on said detail. Still prefer the sound sig of the Sony player tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back