Newbie has a few questions about low-budget system
May 22, 2011 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nfs924

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm just getting into the high-quality aspect of music. This awesome website is full of information and it's a bit overwhelming right now. 

Most of my library is in on my PC, in 192/320kbps format, with some FLACs thrown in there. 

I'm a bit new to shopping for amps/headphones, so I have a few basic questions. 

I *think* I've decided to go with the Matrix M-stage. I'm going to pair it with Senn HD600s, or AKG K701/702s.

My only other consideration for an amp is the Little Dot MKIII.

Would this be a decent combination? My budget is around ~$600, and since that's a bit on the low side I'm going to hold off on a DAC for a little while. I'm also going to hold off on any DIY modifications. I'm a DIY-kind of guy at heart, but this is going to be my first amp; so I don't want to mess around with anything quite yet. 

I'm mainly a music listener, with a few games and movies every once and a while. If you have any suggestions on what would be a better purchase for around $600, let me know.

Thanks for the help!

May 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
You don't like hd650s? K701s have no bass. If want some bass better go for other cans. I will pick hd600s if choice is to be made among three of them.

The 650s are just a little out of my price range (looks to be around a $120 difference in price).

If the difference is that noticeable, perhaps I should wait a little longer and spring for the 650s. 

May 23, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 5
How about this one?

May 23, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 5
If you're a DIY kinda guy, have you considered building your amp (and DAC)? The M^3 is supposedly a fine amp. Also, there is a Millett Hybrid MiniMax kit for around $220. If I'm not mistaken, both amps pair well with the HD600s. You should be able to get the hps, and parts/kit for an amp and DAC for under $600.

Also, have you considered the Schiit Asgard? My first impressions of it are really good with Grados, and I've heard good things about it with the Senns too (I will be pairing it with 600s myself sometime soon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back