New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!!
May 26, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #241 of 559
quick question folks: how does this Reference amp compare to the larger Supermacro IV and Supermacro IV LE? Was thinking about ordering the LE but at about $100 less, the Reference may be appealing, esp. using IEMs with a Portaphile and 4g Imod. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated

May 26, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #242 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quick question folks: how does this Reference amp compare to the larger Supermacro IV and Supermacro IV LE? Was thinking about ordering the LE but at about $100 less, the Reference may be appealing, esp. using IEMs with a Portaphile and 4g Imod. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated

Not many people have heard the xin reference so I doubt you can get a good reply. I would say if you dont plan to change opamp or dont need any extra feature, pick the xin reference. Keep coming back to read the impression especially when xin keep's on altering his product design every other week. After you order, you'll be on the long waiting list but you can always change your order anytime before xin ships out.

May 26, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #243 of 559
of course Mike should be aware that Xin has already started instituting an improvement on the Reference version (has just received a shipment of new boards) which has already been garnering outstanding comments.........and he may wish to take advantage of the introductory discount by ordering now
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #244 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't get it. i am sure manufacturers of capacitors would be interested in their caps changing in performance such a short period of time. sort of a ridiculous claim.

edit: last night i had a conversation about this subject actually. i've been told that bipolar capacitors will change over short periods of time (under 1000 hours)

Well you may think it is a "...ridiculous claim." and you are entitled to your opinion. Which by the way is all any of us can do, write our opinions that is.

However I happen to be in good company with some of the posters here like Romanee, Ray, Cesar, ...

Perhaps you should buy an amp with a large cap and see how it evolves. Then you would have first hand experience of what happens or not. Just my opinion of course.
rolleyes.gif

May 27, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #246 of 559
As I stated earlier I dropped the "Reference Xin Beta Version" with Vorlon1 so he can compare the Beta version with his post 4/11 Supermicro IV. Please remember that the "Reference Xin Beta Version" does not incorporate all the various improvements brought on by Dr. Xin and which should be in the board that is on its way.

I would like to mention that I do not know how the amp was able to operate because I had one of the batteries backwards so one pair of batteries was not providing any power to the amp and I would guess it was operating in 3 volts instead of 6 volts. What a mistake!
mad.gif
Anyways now it has 4 new batteries inserted correctly and the light actually is bright when the amp is turned on! Before the light would hardly light up!
confused.gif

May 27, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #247 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There will be changes to mini that are in the Reference so you should be getting an excellent amp.

wait...how did you know that? did xin tell you?

argh...i just cannot decide!! do i keep my supermini iv order or do i switch to reference.......

May 27, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #248 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xin
There might be a RE of SuperMini-IV, but the SuperMicro-IV is already RE - there is nothing to be removed/reduced. Silver case, silver face/body and black body/face are available.

This is Xin answer to me when i asked him if there would be any Mini or Micro version of the Reference in the near future.

I'm thinking of changing my order from Supermicro to Reference now.
But I would only change my order after i read Vorlon1' review on both of them.

May 27, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #249 of 559
Apart from the one post that said "around $250-280", has there been any definite information released regarding the price? Or is it still up in the air?

May 27, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #251 of 559
biggrin.gif
Quote:

do i keep my supermini iv order or do i switch to reference.......

Get both!!
biggrin.gif
I am going to do that! I got post 04/14 supermini and love its versatility and size. If you can get various flavors of sound by doing OPAMP rolling. Bass boost and crossfeed are fun.

Xin reference is supposed to have purest IV sound without any gimmicks affecting sound quality. IMHO its still in the very early stage and will mature with time. I am going for REF too when the time is right.

May 27, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #252 of 559
My condition is worse. I've got a post 4/11 Supermacro LE, and a pre-4/11 Supermini IV...................and now the Reference version is sorely tempting. But, I don't need three portables. What to do, what to do. Is it possible there is new compulsive disorder -is it possible I can be "suffering" from Xinheadism?

May 27, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #254 of 559
What is the gain on this amp? With sensitive headphones this could be an issue if you only have two or three hours of dial usage on the volume control?

May 27, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #255 of 559
should i ask Xin for a full silver Re or just stick to black? will the silver look like portaphile silver since they are using same case? or is there any kind soul that will post their silver SuperMacro pics for me to decide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back