New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!!
May 27, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #272 of 559
I guess it would depend upon what you want in size. The Micro will have the enhancements of the Reference but in a smaller size though it will not have the large cap. The Micro is a remarkable amp and one of the best among portables. Wait time is anyone's guess. Back to your question, I don't know that anyone knows the final ultimate sound, not even Xin.

May 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #274 of 559
I would love to get an order in early but we can't. I am I wrong in thinking these units would be easier to assemble for Dr. Xin? That is with the PC board having less components and the board may actually be somewhat populated when Dr. Xin gets them.

^So I could order a Supermicro 4 and tell him to change it to the Reference now! Isn't that sneaky?

May 27, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #275 of 559
Xin gets the bare boards. He does all the assembly work with parts as you have seen that are very, very small. Every amp is hand built by Xin from the milling of the face plate, soldering of parts and whatever else needs to be done. I don't know how he does it day after day.

May 27, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #276 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xin gets the bare boards. He does all the assembly work with parts as you have seen that are very, very small. Every amp is hand built by Xin from the milling of the face plate, soldering of parts and whatever else needs to be done. I don't know how he does it day after day.

That just makes it all the more impressive, but not very fast.

May 27, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #277 of 559
For size comparison purposes, here from left to right are the SuperMicro IV, The Tomahawk, The Reference, The SR-71, and The Larocco PR II.

amps1.jpg

I am going to post some early impressions of the Reference, and since there is so much enthusiasm about this unit, and so few of them around, I know people are hungry for information. Please take my impressions as the experience of one person and not any definitive pronouncements.

The Reference has been burning in constantly since yesterday afternoon when mrarroyo left it with me. I have listened to it on and off getting some impressions and giving it time. I will post my impressions of the sound at this point in comparison to the post 4/11 Supermicro. I used a 4G redwine Imod, ALO cotton mini to mini, and the following headphones: K701, RP-21, UE Triple-Fi, and Shure E500. My impressions were consistent across all these phones.

First, the Reference is definitely powerful, with strong bass and good detail and a wide soundstage. You can feel a certain intensity to the sound. I imagine bass lovers would appreciate this aspect of the Reference. However, at this point, the depth of the soundstage is not as good as the width. The Micro has much better depth and texture to the soundstage, and at least to my ears, equal width. The micro does not have the bass impact of the Reference, but has excellent quality bass without the visceral impact or power that you can feel in the Reference. Considering the different power requirements, this would seem appropriate.

On the other hand, the midrange and treble of the micro sounds more liquid and extended than the Reference. The sound of the micro has wonderful depth, air, and spaciousness. The Reference doesn’t seem to have quite the sense of air and openness, or a sense of musical aliveness that the micro gives you. The micro is so damn suave and musical, you have the sense of depth and envelopment in the sound without being bombarded with it. The Reference has a heavier, more intense presentation that is big and powerful, but not as deep as the micro.

Also, I do not think the treble extension of the Reference is quite as good as the micro, the overall sound presentation is just a bit darker in color at this point. You can hear this clearly when listening to male vocalists, with the Reference giving a slight emphasis on the lower range of male voices, while if you listen to the same recording with the micro, you hear the lower elements, but also more subtle tones in higher registers of the voice that are not as evident with the Reference.

I do not know how the Reference will sound with more burn-in time, it is likely to continue to change. If it responds to burn-in like the Tomahawk did and around the 400 to 500 hour mark blooms and opens more in any way similar to the Tomahawk, the soundstage and bass impact will be humongous, because it is very wide and strong now. We will have to wait and see. It will continue burning in 24/7, until mrarroyo gets back in town and picks it up. Also, the new board will cause changes, and I hope will give it some improved treble extension.

I know there was some tendency to think of the Reference as a micro on steroids in some earlier posts, but the sound signature is more like the mini, or the Macro LE than the micro, at least to my ears. If forced to choose only one at this point, I would choose the micro for it’s overall musicality, depth, airiness, and texture.

May 27, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #278 of 559
Thank you for the review. I guess when the final version, for now, is done we will have more to know for sure. The version I have is after the one you have listened to and I find a slightly larger soundstage in depth and width than the Micro though the Micro is great. The highs are smooth and natural but again we have two different versions and two different sets of ears.

May 27, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #280 of 559
Right, exactly why I said this in the beginning of my impressions, "Please take my impressions as the experience of one person and not any definitive pronouncements."

May 27, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #281 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it would depend upon what you want in size. The Micro will have the enhancements of the Reference but in a smaller size though it will not have the large cap.

I asked this on Xins forum but no reply. If these Reference improvements are being implemented into the supermicro, when will this be? Will it be for supermicros from now on?

My order was at the beggining of April.

Thanks

May 27, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #282 of 559
Normally anything that Xin builds, since he does all the work, will have the changes made and be most current when he sends it out. This would be the case with your amp if not already built and even if it were but not shipped he would update it before he sent it.

May 27, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #284 of 559
Thanks, I had a friend who always called me tomato. Well I guess that is better than potato.

May 27, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #285 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, exactly why I said this in the beginning of my impressions, "Please take my impressions as the experience of one person and not any definitive pronouncements."

To be fair to the amp, it really is very early in its burn in period for one with a cap that large. It is approx the same size as the one in the Hornet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back