New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!!
May 26, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #226 of 559
Although I will get a replacement board with the latest tweaks I have continued to burn in the Reference Xin I have. Currently it has about 100 hours.

These large capacitors act funny and some of the clarity/detail I heard yesterday is kind of gone today.
frown.gif
On the other hand the soundstage has gone ultra-wide!
biggrin.gif

Vorlon1, I will either put a set of new batteries on the amp or recharge the ones in it. Since you will have the amp till Wednesday, 5/30 and I know you will continue to burn it in 24 hours a day you should have an idea of how the amp evolves over the next 100 hours or so. Although I figure it will take about 400 hors to burn-in the large capacitor.
blink.gif

May 26, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #227 of 559
I have never heard an amp go through so many changes. The one I have is the latest upgrade, for now. When I got home today I noticed the sound had again changed with more weight to a singers voice, more body, very nice for a portable.

May 26, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #229 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does it compare too in RSA land?

How does it compare? well I have not heard Xin Reference myself. But Xin Reference being a "Blown Up" version of Xin SuperMicro-IV (and I own SuperMicro-IV), I have to say that my 100 hours SMIV easily outclass a 700 hours RSA Tomahawk that I previously owned. SMIV is nothing like what I have come to expect from a portable amp - sickeningly amazing

May 26, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #230 of 559
Quote:

It depends on your listening preferences and the type of signature that you like. I prefer my supermini over the hornet and tomhawk with the exception of the Sr71. Its a beast of its own.

May 26, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #231 of 559
Quote:

Good question and one that only you at the end of the day will be able to answer. Furthermore portable amps with large caps change a lot over a long period of time. The Reference Xin I have does not have all the changes (waiting for a new board) and it only has about 110 hours of burn in (400 would be better).

Nonetheless I have compared with my Tomahawk which has well over 800 hours of burn in and maybe 1,000 hours of total use and I prefer the Reference by a good margin. The biggest difference is in soundstage and clarity/detail, the Reference has a huge soundstage and a level of detail that the Tomahwak can not match (IMO).

To be fair my wife listened to both. She stated that for some fast paced music she would choose the Tomahwak. But for complex detailed orchestral or jazz the Reference Xin would be her choice.

In honesty the true comparison should be done with the final board and with the Reference Xin with at least 400 hours of burn in. But if the new board is better then it will simply be a confirmation for me.

As always the user will have to be the determining factor.

May 26, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #232 of 559
I still haven't understood how much difference is there between the Reference and Supermicro in brute sound quality.

May 26, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #233 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still haven't understood how much difference is there between the Reference and Supermicro in brute sound quality.

Well, stay tuned I am going to drop my Reference Xin with Vorlon1 in a little while. He will be posting the differences. Be advised that the Reference Xin I have does not have all the upgrades (new board on its way) nor is it fully burned in (110 hours where IMO such a large cap needs 400 hours of burn in).

May 26, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #234 of 559
I find that I am getting out of the head sound with the Reference. With my HD650's it is creating a soundfield that is huge and goes beyond my ears and isn't all in my face but out in front and spread out. The contrlol of the frequency range is something to be heard. No matter how loud I turn the music it plays on and on low volume the details are still there. I have about 150 hours run-in now and I expect more changes.

May 26, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #235 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that I am getting out of the head sound with the Reference. With my HD650's it is creating a soundfield that is huge and goes beyond my ears and isn't all in my face but out in front and spread out. The contrlol of the frequency range is something to be heard. No matter how loud I turn the music it plays on and on low volume the details are still there. I have about 150 hours run-in now and I expect more changes.

I agree, previously I wrote that it is like having two amps working at once. One presents the bulk of the music like most amps do, in the middle. Then the "second amp" comes in and you have it surround you and immerses you with music coming out of the extreme right and left. Truly amazing!

May 26, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #236 of 559
I keep getting goose bumps when I listen to music. There is such a freedom of constraints to the sound, the amp just seems to free it of boarders. Sadly, well I do have to earn a living, I am off to work now and won't be able to listen for many hours but it will continue to burn in.

May 26, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #237 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, previously I wrote that it is like having two amps working at once. One presents the bulk of the music like most amps do, in the middle. Then the "second amp" comes in and you have it surround you and immerses you with music coming out of the extreme right and left. Truly amazing!

What headphones are you using?

May 26, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #238 of 559
I received an email that my Mini-IV, my first portable amp, will be shipping in a couple of weeks. What's the sound signature difference between that and the Reference?

May 26, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #239 of 559
There will be changes to mini that are in the Reference so you should be getting an excellent amp.

May 26, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #240 of 559
Quote:

Good question and one that only you at the end of the day will be able to answer. Furthermore portable amps with large caps change a lot over a long period of time. The Reference Xin I have does not have all the changes (waiting for a new board) and it only has about 110 hours of burn in (400 would be better).

Nonetheless I have compared with my Tomahawk which has well over 800 hours of burn in and maybe 1,000 hours of total use and I prefer the Reference by a good margin. The biggest difference is in soundstage and clarity/detail, the Reference has a huge soundstage and a level of detail that the Tomahwak can not match (IMO).

To be fair my wife listened to both. She stated that for some fast paced music she would choose the Tomahwak. But for complex detailed orchestral or jazz the Reference Xin would be her choice.

In honesty the true comparison should be done with the final board and with the Reference Xin with at least 400 hours of burn in. But if the new board is better then it will simply be a confirmation for me.

As always the user will have to be the determining factor.

Quote:

Well, stay tuned I am going to drop my Reference Xin with Vorlon1 in a little while. He will be posting the differences. Be advised that the Reference Xin I have does not have all the upgrades (new board on its way) nor is it fully burned in (110 hours where IMO such a large cap needs 400 hours of burn in).

i don't get it. i am sure manufacturers of capacitors would be interested in their caps changing in performance such a short period of time. sort of a ridiculous claim.

edit: last night i had a conversation about this subject actually. i've been told that bipolar capacitors will change over short periods of time (under 1000 hours)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back