New WESTONE W-SERIES
Apr 1, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #256 of 1,383
Don't worry about the W40 build quality, that's why they're giving you the ADV :wink:

So, obviously I ended up ordering the W40's. Would have been criminal to pass up the chance of a free pair of the ADV Alpha too.... :D

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #257 of 1,383
So, obviously I ended up ordering the W40's. Would have been criminal to pass up the chance of a free pair of the ADV Alpha too....
biggrin.gif

I would have ordered the W40+ADV pair, but I ordered UE900 and ADV separately last week.

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #260 of 1,383
The connector housing is a bit thicker than original from Westone

but it snaps in, just apply a little bit of force (no twisting, just straight snap in)

Just make sure you hold the body of earpiece firmly with two fingers, not the nozzle part :wink:  Probably the first time you do it, it will be a little harder but then it loosens up a bit.  I have done it dozens of times.

Good luck!

I've been wondering if it would be worth upgrading the cable on my W40's.

What are some of the differences you've noticed?

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #261 of 1,383
I've been wondering if it would be worth upgrading the cable on my W40's.

What are some of the differences you've noticed?

Noticeable sound improvement.  The sound is louder (pure cable material, less resistance, less voltage drop, higher output signal), the sound is brighter with more sparkle in treble (an improvement considering slightly darker/warmer signature with original cable), and overall the sound is tighter (especially in low end).  And you get... more microphonics :)  Yeah, will have to live with that.

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #263 of 1,383
Noticeable sound improvement.  The sound is louder (pure cable material, less resistance, less voltage drop, higher output signal), the sound is brighter with more sparkle in treble (an improvement considering slightly darker/warmer signature with original cable), and overall the sound is tighter (especially in low end).  And you get... more microphonics :)  Yeah, will have to live with that.

When I got my W40's I was able to exchange the stock cable for their UM series one, which is essentially the same, just with the rubber around the ear instead of pure cable, so literally no microphonics and better comfort. I also use the silicone tips because my ears don't like comply tips and the sound is MUCH brighter. Paired with my PA2V2, the bass also gets tighter and volume pushed up, so it seems I have no real need for upgrading the cable. :)

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #264 of 1,383
Right ear piece by the W40 where you plug in the cable cracked a little bit. I think it might of been have from me trying to hook up the FiiO cable. I called up EarphoneSolutions and will be getting a replacement soon. I had to send my old one back which will get there on Tuesday and hopefully they send out a new one on Weds.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #265 of 1,383
For those tempted to buy the W40's, I just received my brand new pair from an eBay seller for $389 including free courier thru DHL to the UK from Hong Kong (marked as gift to avoid tax). I suspected these would be knockoffs like a pair of IE8's I bought a few weeks ago but they weren't! These are my first genuine IEM's so can't compare them to others but they are very evidently a genuine product. Really pleased!

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #266 of 1,383
  For those tempted to buy the W40's, I just received my brand new pair from an eBay seller for $389 including free courier thru DHL to the UK from Hong Kong (marked as gift to avoid tax). I suspected these would be knockoffs like a pair of IE8's I bought a few weeks ago but they weren't! These are my first genuine IEM's so can't compare them to others but they are very evidently a genuine product. Really pleased!

Do you have the link?

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #270 of 1,383
  Right ear piece by the W40 where you plug in the cable cracked a little bit. I think it might of been have from me trying to hook up the FiiO cable. I called up EarphoneSolutions and will be getting a replacement soon. I had to send my old one back which will get there on Tuesday and hopefully they send out a new one on Weds.

Sorry to hear that, I have plugged mine in and out so many times, never a problem.  Maybe just stick to stock cable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back