New WESTONE W-SERIES
Apr 6, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #272 of 1,383
Apr 6, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #273 of 1,383
Apr 6, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #274 of 1,383
Worse distortion than W4, but wow...W40 is in phase? Very Weird................

That's a first for a multi-BA that isn't marketed to be "in-phase" edit:actually Shure SE846 is in phase as well

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #276 of 1,383
  Worse distortion than W4, but wow...W40 is in phase? Very Weird................

That's a first for a multi-BA that isn't marketed to be "in-phase" edit:actually Shure SE846 is in phase as well

Are you basing this purely on Innerfidelity headphone measurement charts or your hands'on experience?  Although I love and respect Tyll's charts, I trust my ears.  Plus, so many times Tyll said it himself that charts don't do the justice :)  Again, I'm making an assumption that your reference to distortion is based on those charts.  I have been using W40 with my laptop, Note 2, Note 2 + E18, and directly from X5, playing mp3s from 192kbps to 320kbps and FLACs, and don't hear any distortion.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #277 of 1,383

Are you basing this purely on Innerfidelity headphone measurement charts or your hands'on experience?  Although I love and respect Tyll's charts, I trust my ears.  Plus, so many times Tyll said it himself that charts don't do the justice :)  Again, I'm making an assumption that your reference to distortion is based on those charts.  I have been using W40 with my laptop, Note 2, Note 2 + E18, and directly from X5, playing mp3s from 192kbps to 320kbps and FLACs, and don't hear any distortion.

Hi Twister, I'm waiting X5 delivery but have purchased the W40 in advance after a demo of 4 IEMs. Do you consider it a good match? How does it compare with your EU900s which was one of my other considerations? (I know favoured choice is a personal thing, but be interested in your views pairing with X5).

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #278 of 1,383

Hi Twister, I'm waiting X5 delivery but have purchased the W40 in advance after a demo of 4 IEMs. Do you consider it a good match? How does it compare with your EU900s which was one of my other considerations? (I know favoured choice is a personal thing, but be interested in your views pairing with X5).

It pairs up really well.  X5 has a very neutral/uncolored sound, and out of the box it's great with a normal/flat EQ setting.  Regarding W40 vs UE900, I prefer Westone - more detailed bass and better vocal presentation (sounds more natural).  Plus, W40 sounds warmer which I personally prefer over brighter sound of UE900.  But, it's a personal preference.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #279 of 1,383
with very slight deviations, it pretty clear the W40 and the 4R are exactly the same product

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/WestoneW40.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/Westone4R.pdf

Have to differ on this...as one who actually has both the W4 and W40 in house, I can say imo the W40 is a better sounding headphone (you can go back through this thread, I've posted this a number of times, and others have too. I have also had feedback from other Head-Fiers who didn't believe this, as the conventional wisdom is that they are the same. When they listened, they heard it as I heard it). Is it a day and night, say, AT vs Shure (to pick 2 presentations of the top of my head that seem quite different) difference? Nope, but the W40 does most of the things on the Audiophile Checklist a bit better that the W4, the little upgrades add up to a better sounding iem, imo (post any other 3 letter abbreviation here, LOL)

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #280 of 1,383
I got a new pair for Westone W40 for a friend and I've been comparing to mines (3 months of use) and they sound identically right out the box. So for those who think that IEMs burn in... don´t lose your time :). It´s actually the brain that gets used to the sound!

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #281 of 1,383
Have to differ on this...as one who actually has both the W4 and W40 in house, I can say imo the W40 is a better sounding headphone (you can go back through this thread, I've posted this a number of times, and others have too. I have also had feedback from other Head-Fiers who didn't believe this, as the conventional wisdom is that they are the same. When they listened, they heard it as I heard it). Is it a day and night, say, AT vs Shure (to pick 2 presentations of the top of my head that seem quite different) difference? Nope, but the W40 does most of the things on the Audiophile Checklist a bit better that the W4, the little upgrades add up to a better sounding iem, imo (post any other 3 letter abbreviation here, LOL)

So you're saying the measurements are wrong?  They share the exact same drivers.  The only differences between the W4R and W40 are the fact that the nozzle could be different (confirmed by Westone CS).  Tyll's measurements show that that this hasn't created any major differences between the two models, they are identical.  The only main difference between the two models is a slight difference in distortion (the 40 that Tyll got has slightly more distortion).  That and the fact that the 40 isn't matched as well as the 4R. 

That said, any difference you hear is due to driver variance and that only.  The fact that it sounds better could be due to preference or psychological effects and/or burn in. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #282 of 1,383

This doesn't even make sense with all due respect, you don't need "your ears" for the stuff I mentioned. The chart is not wrong, it's a fact the W40 used had more distortion but surprisingly is in phase which is very rare for a multi BA. I never said one is better than the other, if anything they seem about the same.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #283 of 1,383
I didn't look at the measurements, frankly don't care about them. Any reviewer will tell you the measurements are a helpful tool, sometimes help explain WHAT YOU HEAR. but no measuring instrument catches everything the ear apparatus does. The W40 does indeed have a different sized nozzle; the body is also different in size/shape, slightly larger (I like the fit on the W4 better, to be honest, but can manage a fit with the 40 with some effort). Is this why it sounds better? I have no clue, does make sense it could. Now, do I care if you don't believe any of this, think the measurements are the be all and end all? Not at all. Different strokes, all that. I will say I own the W4, have the 40 on loan, strongly thinking of getting rid of the W4 and buying a W40 (have lots of other new iem's though, may hold off, got lots of good stuff to listen with). If you think it's all in my head, that's OK, that's where music enjoyment comes from. As I said, others, who believed as you do, that they are identical sounding from reading the posts, went out and listened to them after I posted I found the W40 better sounding, and agreed. One really should listen to the headphones before developing strong opinions on them, imo..hey, but that's just me, just have fun.

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #284 of 1,383
  It pairs up really well.  X5 has a very neutral/uncolored sound, and out of the box it's great with a normal/flat EQ setting.  Regarding W40 vs UE900, I prefer Westone - more detailed bass and better vocal presentation (sounds more natural).  Plus, W40 sounds warmer which I personally prefer over brighter sound of UE900.  But, it's a personal preference.

Using with IPhone 4S (while awaiting DAP) I have found the foam tips (and some similar Comply I have bought) to have a warmer sound with more bass and the silicon tips to be slightly brighter and more dynamic, maybe due to less bass. Is this a normal finding? Certainly means have scope in tuning to preferred sound once my X5 arrives.

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #285 of 1,383
Without trying to over simplify and gloss over some things, the W40 is like a W2, W3, UM3X all wrapped into one.

If I had one solitary complaint I would say I wish the presentation were not as close and intimate.  Other than that, it is best in class at everything for it's pricepoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back