New WESTONE W-SERIES
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #286 of 1,383
Yeah, we went through this before, my 2 complaints are 1)sized a bit larger, W4 was a better fit (as noted above), but it's manageable 2)Presentation is like 1st few rows in a theater, very close perspective, W4 goes back maybe 10-15 rows (a crude estimation) to give a better perspective. Otherwise, W40 bests W4 on the entire audiophile checklist.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #287 of 1,383
I didn't look at the measurements, frankly don't care about them. Any reviewer will tell you the measurements are a helpful tool, sometimes help explain WHAT YOU HEAR. but no measuring instrument catches everything the ear apparatus does. The W40 does indeed have a different sized nozzle; the body is also different in size/shape, slightly larger (I like the fit on the W4 better, to be honest, but can manage a fit with the 40 with some effort). Is this why it sounds better? I have no clue, does make sense it could. Now, do I care if you don't believe any of this, think the measurements are the be all and end all? Not at all. Different strokes, all that. I will say I own the W4, have the 40 on loan, strongly thinking of getting rid of the W4 and buying a W40 (have lots of other new iem's though, may hold off, got lots of good stuff to listen with). If you think it's all in my head, that's OK, that's where music enjoyment comes from. As I said, others, who believed as you do, that they are identical sounding from reading the posts, went out and listened to them after I posted I found the W40 better sounding, and agreed. One really should listen to the headphones before developing strong opinions on them, imo..hey, but that's just me, just have fun.

I agree. I believe that even if two different headphones or speakers show the same or similar frequency graphs does not have to mean they sound the same.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #288 of 1,383
Using with IPhone 4S (while awaiting DAP) I have found the foam tips (and some similar Comply I have bought) to have a warmer sound with more bass and the silicon tips to be slightly brighter and more dynamic, maybe due to less bass. Is this a normal finding? Certainly means have scope in tuning to preferred sound once my X5 arrives.

Yes, I found the same differences. Although I wouldn't say there is an actual difference in bass, only in its perception. The changes in the treble extension are quite significant between the foam and silicone tips imo.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #289 of 1,383
I didn't look at the measurements, frankly don't care about them. Any reviewer will tell you the measurements are a helpful tool, sometimes help explain WHAT YOU HEAR. but no measuring instrument catches everything the ear apparatus does. The W40 does indeed have a different sized nozzle; the body is also different in size/shape, slightly larger (I like the fit on the W4 better, to be honest, but can manage a fit with the 40 with some effort). Is this why it sounds better? I have no clue, does make sense it could.

The nozzles are different? Do you still have both on hand to take a photo of them together?

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #290 of 1,383
I do, and I just spent an hour trying to line them up and get a photo that would make it easy to see the differences. Unfortunately, the differences AREN'T really easy to see, mm or less (likely less), and photos really don't demonstrate it well. By eye, though, I can tell you the nozzle on the 40 is slightly longer, and the thickness of the nozzle walls and space inside the nozzle are slightly different. I'll try this again when I have more time to kill...I have read on the thread, though, that the measurement differences are documented by Westone, and should be findable on the site (haven't done this myself, but someplace in this thread I believe it was mentioned). I'm sure the exact dimension differences can be gotten. It's small, but so is an iem, so is the ear canal....

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #291 of 1,383
Using with IPhone 4S (while awaiting DAP) I have found the foam tips (and some similar Comply I have bought) to have a warmer sound with more bass and the silicon tips to be slightly brighter and more dynamic, maybe due to less bass. Is this a normal finding? Certainly means have scope in tuning to preferred sound once my X5 arrives.

Yes, I found the same differences. Although I wouldn't say there is an actual difference in bass, only in its perception. The changes in the treble extension are quite significant between the foam and silicone tips imo.

I have just tested between comply and silicon again and the difference in treble extension and airiness is quite dramatic. Now hearing the livelier sound from when I demoed them.

I also suspect the silicon has a better fit, I was told I have very small ear canals and the smallest foam sometimes needs withdrawing a little to bring back upper frequencies, in fact if pushed in hard sound disappears! I think the silicon are slightly shallower and have a better fit and so more consistent sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #292 of 1,383
I also suspect the silicon has a better fit, I was told I have very small ear canals and the smallest foam sometimes needs withdrawing a little to bring back upper frequencies, in fact if pushed in hard sound disappears! I think the silicon are slightly shallower and have a better fit and so more consistent sound.

It's like we have the same ear! :)

The black comply tips start getting uncomfortable after about 15 minutes, the smallest green ones are just like you said. Need sone adjusting every now and then. I'm now using the black silicones and just fell in love with the extra boost in airyness! :)

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #293 of 1,383
It's like we have the same ear!
smily_headphones1.gif

The black comply tips start getting uncomfortable after about 15 minutes, the smallest green ones are just like you said. Need sone adjusting every now and then. I'm now using the black silicones and just fell in love with the extra boost in airyness!
smily_headphones1.gif

We do!  I've just realised that the black silicones which fit me are not the smallest. They are 12 Diameter, 11 Length and there is a smaller Green Silicone 10.5D 10L.  But they feel and sound much better than the Black or Green foam.  They do not have a deep black insert as shown on Westone website, but were the original pair attached, and there were extra orange, red, blue and greens supplied in the W40 box.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #294 of 1,383
I agree. I believe that even if two different headphones or speakers show the same or similar frequency graphs does not have to mean they sound the same.

This isn't only frequency...  This is the same square wave (300 and 30 Hz), impedance, phase, distortion (shape and peaks are the same), heck, even the isolation is the same...  When I said everything, I meant everything.  You literally can't tell them apart. 

We already know that the W40 and W4R share the same drivers, please don't debate this one, it's been confirmed numerous times by Westone CS reps...  The only difference between them is the housing.  If the housings were to make ANY difference, it would show up in the graphs (specifically the time dependent ones, the 300 and 30 Hz square sine wave graphs).

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #296 of 1,383
Guys, I'm desperate to hear some feedback about the UM pro 50 and W40s. I'm looking for new earbuds which provide textured, "soft", yet thumping bass with soundstage and clarity. I'm not sure which model would provide this to me. I listen to house/electronic/classic/indie mostly. I'm not a bass head but for electronic music whenever there's bass, there also must be bass in headphones too. So can anyone recommend which one I should go with. Or should I wait for W50?

Apr 8, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #297 of 1,383
  Guys, I'm desperate to hear some feedback about the UM pro 50 and W40s. I'm looking for new earbuds which provide textured, "soft", yet thumping bass with soundstage and clarity. I'm not sure which model would provide this to me. I listen to house/electronic/classic/indie mostly. I'm not a bass head but for electronic music whenever there's bass, there also must be bass in headphones too. So can anyone recommend which one I should go with. Or should I wait for W50?

In my opinion for the type of music you are listening to and considering emphasis on electronic/bass quality, W40 will satisfy your needs, while UM50/W50 might be an overkill.  As a matter of fact, you might want to wait to hear comparison between W30 and W40 (save yourself $250-$350 :)).

Apr 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #298 of 1,383

In my opinion for the type of music you are listening to and considering emphasis on electronic/bass quality, W40 will satisfy your needs, while UM50/W50 might be an overkill.  As a matter of fact, you might want to wait to hear comparison between W30 and W40 (save yourself $250-$350 :)).

If this is the case then what's W50s addressing exactly? Also what kind of genres you think may benefit more from W40s or W50s? I'm now confused. Isn't it all about the clarity, detail and soundstage game :) 

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #300 of 1,383
  Can someone at least tell their impressions about the bass for W40s? Why is there such lack of reviews, impressions about this new series?

I am coming from the UE900 and I can say the bass is quite thick with the W40 has more of presence than that of the UE900. I am not an overkill bass head but I do love bass and W40 is great for bass if you want clarity as well for the other instruments. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back