New WESTONE W-SERIES
Nov 20, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #1,381 of 1,383
@twister6, I have the W60 (I think v2), thinking about W80, is it a big upgrade?

The definition of "upgrade" is subjective, but when going from W60 v2 to W80 there is definitely a noticeable improvement in clarity and resolution to due W80 having a boost in lower treble. But their bass and mids are quite similar.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,382 of 1,383
I probably should have been more clear that I'm not familiar with W4R or W3 and W4, and only going by what I have
So the W4, W4R, and W40 (v1) were all sharing the same drivers. I kind of stopped keeping track after that as I had left the head-fi community for some time. The W40 is at least in v2 or possibly v3 now though if I'm not mistaken.

The same "number" of drivers, 4 BAs. But not the exact same drivers or the exact same tuning.

When Tyll measured the W40 (v1) they came out more or less identical to the W4R. I'd argue that those two definitely shared drivers and tuning. You can see a similar pattern to the W2 and W20 as well.

I probably should have been more clear that I'm not familiar with W4R or W3 and W4, and only going by what I have read in other impressions. At this point, it will only be a speculation. W40 v1 vs v2 and W60 v1 vs v2 have a different tuning, that I can confirm because I have each one. W80 v1/v2 have the identical tuning and drivers.
Thanks for all the great replies! I ended up getting the UW40 and have been listening to them these past few days. Too early to make definitive opinion on them but from Crappy memory they do not sound as good as my old W4's. I had multiple pairs of them so I must have really liked them. I know they are supposed to have the same quantity and quality of drivers under the hood. Maybe I need to burn them in more? Doubt it, but I will do so anyway before final opinion. But just in case, I just RE purchased an old pair of W4 and I will compare them A B side by side with multiple sources including vinyl. Don't hate on me if I like the old ones more. I will definitely update this for anyone who is interested like me. Oh one thing I for sure do not like is the cable and the fact I HAVE TO wrap it around the back of my ears. Its becoming less annoying but I never used to wear all the old ones that way. Also bummed that they didn't come with the old white triple flange tips that they used to. I would cut the last flange off and they would then fit my ears perfectly sealed. Wish I still had the w3 to throw into this comparison as well.

Damn you head fi, Just when I think I am out, you drag me back in! To be continued...

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #1,383 of 1,383
Thanks for all the great replies! I ended up getting the UW40 and have been listening to them these past few days. Too early to make definitive opinion on them but from Crappy memory they do not sound as good as my old W4's. I had multiple pairs of them so I must have really liked them. I know they are supposed to have the same quantity and quality of drivers under the hood. Maybe I need to burn them in more? Doubt it, but I will do so anyway before final opinion. But just in case, I just RE purchased an old pair of W4 and I will compare them A B side by side with multiple sources including vinyl. Don't hate on me if I like the old ones more. I will definitely update this for anyone who is interested like me. Oh one thing I for sure do not like is the cable and the fact I HAVE TO wrap it around the back of my ears. Its becoming less annoying but I never used to wear all the old ones that way. Also bummed that they didn't come with the old white triple flange tips that they used to. I would cut the last flange off and they would then fit my ears perfectly sealed. Wish I still had the w3 to throw into this comparison as well.

Damn you head fi, Just when I think I am out, you drag me back in! To be continued...
Are the W40 V1 or V2? I know the V1 and W4/W4R all measured the same, but I’ve never been sure about the V2 or any newer updates they did. Also keep in mind that tip rolling is a thing. So a different tip and even a different fit (if the housing differs) can also change the sound. I forget if Etymotic tips fit on the W4 (or W40), but if you want to try, Etymotic does make really good dual flange tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back