New WESTONE W-SERIES
Mar 29, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #241 of 1,383
Have you heard the W30?!?!?!

No yet.  I don't think anybody heard these one yet.  So, if/when I get my hands on a pair, I will definitely write a comparison to W40.  Though, as we all know, that will start a follow up question "but how do they compare to W3" lol!!!

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #242 of 1,383
  That would be awesome!! Thank You. I don't mind spending the money, I just want to make sure that the W40 or W30 is worth the extra money, since I feel like I got a really good price on the W3 ($200).  Also, I really like the sound of my Audio-Technica ESW9 headphones.  Do manufactures have the same sounding headphones and IEMs? I have seen many discussions about AT IEMs, are they not up to par with Westone, etc.

I don't have experience with ESW9, only M50 which are flat with some bass enhancement studio headphones (great for sound monitoring but not for detailed listening).  With ATs IEMs, I just reviewed their new IM02 (dual driver, analytical) and IM03 (triple driver, balanced), and they have a lot of emphasis on mids (clarity, definition, brightness, especially with vocals), where IM03 also has a great bass emphasis.  I will be honest, W40 and IM03 are two of my favorite IEMs right now, each having their own unique sound signature.  But one problem with ATs new IM series is their bulky design.  Their IM01/02/03/04 series is similar to W10/20/30/40 with corresponding number of BA drivers, but Westone was able to use the same shell design for either single or quad drivers, while Audio Technica goes up in size with each model where it will be dependent on anatomy of your ear if it's going to fit you.  IM02 had a perfect fitment for me, while IM03 is on a borderline.  I'm reading some people returning back their IM50 and IM70 because they are too big.  Westone W-series has a professional over-ear ergonomics.

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #243 of 1,383
How are the W40s bass? I am not a bass head but I do like to have some. From other reviews on the site other members preferred the W3 to the W4 because the bass was more present.  Some reviewers of the W40 mentioned that the bass was improved over the W4.  If that is true, I might be inclined to purchase the W40 as it seems that it is overall a better IEM. I just want to make sure that it has some bass.

Thanks for your input.

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #244 of 1,383
W3 has MORE bass than W4 period.  But W4 bass is more textured, more depth.

W40 has more bass than W4 but retains the depth and texture.  It's the best bass of any universal I have heard but havent heard SE846 yet.

Westone has done themselves a disservice not pronouncing the improvements of W40 over W4.  IMHO W40 has obsoleted UM3X/Pro30/W3/W4....YES, all four of those.   It takes the best traits of all of them into one IEM.

They have too many IEM's out right now.  I am absolutely floored by W40.  It is a W4 with about 25% more bass that does NOT distort when you turn it up. While there is an overall smoothness and tiny veil.....the transparency, texture and decay is unreal. Absolutely kills W3 and UM3X/Pro30 in that regard.  Best vocals as well.   The major change you hear with W40 over W4 is with drums and percussion.  It slams with authority WITHOUT the centered bass dominance and tiny bloat of UM3X/Pro30.

Without them (Westone) mentioning much of anything in terms of changes and improvements, I think W40 is the best kept secret in IEM's.  Unless you need razorsharp crystal treble...it does everything else state of the art at $400-$500 and I am certain might keep up with SE846 dues to seemingly better treble and overall transparency.  UE900 not even on the same radar.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #245 of 1,383
I agree, W40 much better sounding than W4, and I always liked the W4. Bass deeper, tighter, more textured. More "open" space, wider Soundstage with better imaging, smoother while still maintaining highs. The only thing I like better on the W4 is "listening position". The W4 sets you back a bit, maybe row 10-15 in a concert hall. The W40 puts you much closer, like being in one of the first rows of the theater, which can be less than ideal in real life, and is less appealing (to me) than having a bit of perspective and distance. Do think overall tey a big improvement. When I first posted this, I heard from people (who hasnhadn't heard the W40) that it was definitely the same sounding as the W4

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #246 of 1,383
I am really struggling tonight. Trying desperately to hold myself back from hitting the EarphoneSolutions promo for the Westone W40, with the ADV free...

Since losing one of my custom molds I've not used my UM2's and miss them. Instead I've been using the Shure SE215, with the Logitech iPhone cable, and the temptation to go for the W40 as a primary paid and the ADV for running and day-to-day use is almost overwhelming.

The only things holding me back are:
* Import duties for shipping into the UK ($499 is a great price, who knows what I might end up actually having to pay)
* Initially I did hear mutterings about a lesser build quality on the W40's from previous models. Have anyone got any contrary experiences?

Mar 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #248 of 1,383
I like the logic.  Bank balance doesn't though
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #249 of 1,383
The only thing I like better on the W4 is "listening position". The W4 sets you back a bit, maybe row 10-15 in a concert hall. The W40 puts you much closer, like being in one of the first rows of the theater, which can be less than ideal in real life, and is less appealing (to me) than having a bit of perspective and distance.

Yes, that's right....good point.  I agree and I, too, prefer the 10-15 rows back but the other improvements make up for it.

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #250 of 1,383
Agreed...haven't noted build issues on W40, but only have for ashort while, loaner, for review. Made of plastic, like the W4 and many top tier phones. Others may have more experience in this regard.

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #251 of 1,383

* Import duties for shipping into the UK ($499 is a great price, who knows what I might end up actually having to pay)

I bought the W40 a few weeks ago, one day after they arrived in UK, with a demo at Hand Held Audio. Great place to listen to these, alongside Fischers and the JH16. £399 with piece of mind that you have listened to them and they suit your preferences. Very happy with them.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #253 of 1,383

I don't have experience with ESW9, only M50 which are flat with some bass enhancement studio headphones (great for sound monitoring but not for detailed listening).  With ATs IEMs, I just reviewed their new IM02 (dual driver, analytical) and IM03 (triple driver, balanced), and they have a lot of emphasis on mids (clarity, definition, brightness, especially with vocals), where IM03 also has a great bass emphasis.  I will be honest, W40 and IM03 are two of my favorite IEMs right now, each having their own unique sound signature.  But one problem with ATs new IM series is their bulky design.  Their IM01/02/03/04 series is similar to W10/20/30/40 with corresponding number of BA drivers, but Westone was able to use the same shell design for either single or quad drivers, while Audio Technica goes up in size with each model where it will be dependent on anatomy of your ear if it's going to fit you.  IM02 had a perfect fitment for me, while IM03 is on a borderline.  I'm reading some people returning back their IM50 and IM70 because they are too big.  Westone W-series has a professional over-ear ergonomics.

Hey,

I have the FiiO RC-SE1 cable and I am having trouble connecting the cable to my W40. The portion where the wire connects with the IEM seems a little thick.

Am I suppose to click it in really hard or twist it in?

Thanks. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #254 of 1,383

Hey,

I have the FiiO RC-SE1 cable and I am having trouble connecting the cable to my W40. The portion where the wire connects with the IEM seems a little thick.

Am I suppose to click it in really hard or twist it in?

Thanks. 

The connector housing is a bit thicker than original from Westone

but it snaps in, just apply a little bit of force (no twisting, just straight snap in)

Just make sure you hold the body of earpiece firmly with two fingers, not the nozzle part :wink:  Probably the first time you do it, it will be a little harder but then it loosens up a bit.  I have done it dozens of times.

Good luck!

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #255 of 1,383

The connector housing is a bit thicker than original from Westone

but it snaps in, just apply a little bit of force (no twisting, just straight snap in)

Just make sure you hold the body of earpiece firmly with two fingers, not the nozzle part :wink:  Probably the first time you do it, it will be a little harder but then it loosens up a bit.  I have done it dozens of times.

Good luck!

Thanks buddy, will give that a try when I get home from work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back