New WESTONE W-SERIES
Mar 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #214 of 1,383
  It really has nothing to do with the price of the item.  I'm not saying twister6 did anything to his W40 and I'm not referring to him, but I would say...generally...people are lazy and don't really take good care of their stuff after the first few days.  Misuse and abuse is common and the IEM company needs to be smart and prudent about how they handle "problems."

Got the replacement faceplate pair last week, they actually sent me L/R pair instead of one piece.  LIke I said, excellent support.  Doesn't matter what is the price of the product.

Regarding what happened with mine, since I really baby all of my headphones.  The faceplate is not a snap on but has a hex screw to hold it in, and you have to apply just the right amount of force when tightening it.  The crack started next to the screw, so that explains it.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #215 of 1,383
Are you saying this based on the gajillion press releases placing it alongside other models, or did you hear about this somewhere else?

He really does know what he's talking about :wink: http://noydcom.com/client.php

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #217 of 1,383
Got my W40 yesterday from Earphonesoultions. I am using N5 as my source and I can say the W40 sounds amazing compared to my UE900. The bass is a lot better, the W40 has the thump I was looking for and the vocals are very clear. The fit is amazing and the isolation is quite good. 

I am not a fan of the stock wire, I have a FiiO cable but haven't used it so far want to use the stock and then see the improvement with the FiiO cable. 

The protective case Westone provides is very sturdy, however it can be a pain to put the headphones in the case or maybe I am just doing it wrong. Instead I am using the UE900 case to keep me W40 protected. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #219 of 1,383
I had a dream about the W30 last night... 
ph34r.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #221 of 1,383
  Got my W40 yesterday from Earphonesoultions. I am using N5 as my source and I can say the W40 sounds amazing compared to my UE900. The bass is a lot better, the W40 has the thump I was looking for and the vocals are very clear. The fit is amazing and the isolation is quite good. 

I am not a fan of the stock wire, I have a FiiO cable but haven't used it so far want to use the stock and then see the improvement with the FiiO cable. 

The protective case Westone provides is very sturdy, however it can be a pain to put the headphones in the case or maybe I am just doing it wrong. Instead I am using the UE900 case to keep me W40 protected. 

Agree on every count.  W40 blows UE900 out of the water, especially when it comes to bass (that mid-bass punch, something ATH-IM03 missing as well).  Stock wires are good, but use them a little longer - you will appreciate FiiO RC-SE1 replacement cable a lot more.  The same with case, I mentioned it before and posted some pictures in this thread.  Westone Vault is as tough as Pelican cases (makes me wonder if it was actually designed/manufactured by Pelican?), and it's great when traveling.  For everyday basic use, any 3" round or square case will work.

One suggestion, at least it worked for me, use a red faceplate on a Right earpiece - will make it easier to id it :wink:

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #222 of 1,383
  I had a dream about the W30 last night... 
ph34r.gif

Hey, 

I'm brand new here, so forgive me if I'm missing something...

I've been rather interested in the W30 too. Have you seen that it's on Westone site now, and 'in stock' on their online store? 
http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/w-series/westone-w30.html
http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-w30-earphone.html

So keen to see a comparison of these to the W40!

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #223 of 1,383

Agree on every count.  W40 blows UE900 out of the water, especially when it comes to bass (that mid-bass punch, something ATH-IM03 missing as well).  Stock wires are good, but use them a little longer - you will appreciate FiiO RC-SE1 replacement cable a lot more.  The same with case, I mentioned it before and posted some pictures in this thread.  Westone Vault is as tough as Pelican cases (makes me wonder if it was actually designed/manufactured by Pelican?), and it's great when traveling.  For everyday basic use, any 3" round or square case will work.

One suggestion, at least it worked for me, use a red faceplate on a Right earpiece - will make it easier to id it :wink:

I plan on using the stock wire until Friday and then use my FiiO cable. I am probabaly going use my UE900 case for everday and when I am on the road or anything use the case that Westone provided which is very well built.

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #224 of 1,383

I plan on using the stock wire until Friday and then use my FiiO cable. I am probabaly going use my UE900 case for everday and when I am on the road or anything use the case that Westone provided which is very well built.

Once you switch to FiiO cable, which btw looks like this (using red faceplate for Right side :wink:):

you will realize that UE900 storage box going to be too tight because RC-SE1 connector is bigger, and cable is thicker and more springy.

Get any $5 hard shell round zipper case from amazon or ebay (those 3" in diameter) and it will work great for traveling or everyday use.  With a mesh pocket inside, I typically wrap the wire (the usual 3-finger wrap) and stuff the wire and connector inside of the mesh pocket, while W40 headphones are on outside so they are well protected from rubbing against wires or connector.  W40 gets VIP treatment :wink:

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #225 of 1,383

Hey, 

I'm brand new here, so forgive me if I'm missing something...

I've been rather interested in the W30 too. Have you seen that it's on Westone site now, and 'in stock' on their online store? 
http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/w-series/westone-w30.html
http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-w30-earphone.html

So keen to see a comparison of these to the W40!

That is awesome news!!!  Can't wait to test it out, if I get a chance, to compare to W40.  If I learned anything from a recent test/comparison of ATH-IM02 and ATH-IM03, 2-driver vs 3-driver BA design could mean a completely different sound signature.  With 4-driver vs 3-driver on W30, there could be a similar surprise :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back