NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 4, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #621 of 4,971
  I'm curious as to why this little amp is supposed to be so much better than something in the same price range like the Bravo Ocean. 

Until I hear a Vali, I wouldn't know. So far I haven't heard any of the lucky folks who got a preview model, compare it to another budget-fi amp, like the Bravo's. I am very curious though, since I'm a fan of the V2's.

That being said, I personally would not buy an Ocean. You're paying for a metal chassis. Save yourself $50 bucks and buy a V2 on Amazon. Or bid on one from eBay (I got one for under $55 bucks there including shipping). For that price, they're worth it. They sound really good with pretty much any old (old meaning pre-1970's) American 12AU7, 5963, or 5814 tube (the Euro tubes are also nice but horribly pricey - and skip the Chinese or Russian tubes). Personally, I really like the replaceable tube feature. I'm a bit skeptical about a tube amp, where I can't replace the tubes.

Not going to open the can of worms re: modding a Bravo, or comparing it to other hybrids. The Bravo V2's are about the cheapest hybrid amps you can buy, already assembled. No, they're not the best sounding amps (though they have a significant fan base here, including some who mod them heavily). They're just cheap. It's hard to argue with cheap.

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #622 of 4,971

That was funny, thank you
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #623 of 4,971

Until I hear a Vali, I wouldn't know. So far I haven't heard any of the lucky folks who got a preview model, compare it to another budget-fi amp, like the Bravo's. I am very curious though, since I'm a fan of the V2's.

That being said, I personally would not buy an Ocean. You're paying for a metal chassis. Save yourself $50 bucks and buy a V2 on Amazon. Or bid on one from eBay (I got one for under $55 bucks there including shipping). For that price, they're worth it. They sound really good with pretty much any old (old meaning pre-1970's) American 12AU7, 5963, or 5814 tube (the Euro tubes are also nice but horribly pricey - and skip the Chinese or Russian tubes). Personally, I really like the replaceable tube feature. I'm a bit skeptical about a tube amp, where I can't replace the tubes.

Not going to open the can of worms re: modding a Bravo, or comparing it to other hybrids. The Bravo V2's are about the cheapest hybrid amps you can buy, already assembled. No, they're not the best sounding amps (though they have a significant fan base here, including some who mod them heavily). They're just cheap. It's hard to argue with cheap.

I will say a fully modded Bravo V2 or Indeed G3 is a force to be recockend with 

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #624 of 4,971
  I will say a fully modded Bravo V2 or Indeed G3 is a force to be recockend with 

From what I have read, I agree. For the roughly $30-$40 bucks it takes to fully mod one, they're still well within budget land too. I have 2 of them now, and one of them is going to go under the knife soon
biggrin.gif

Would you believe, I finally got a 1957 Mullard D-getter for it? I know. I'm sick that way. LOL.
basshead.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #625 of 4,971

From what I have read, I agree. For the roughly $30-$40 bucks it takes to fully mod one, they're still well within budget land too. I have 2 of them now, and one of them is going to go under the knife soon
biggrin.gif

Would you believe, I finally got a 1957 Mullard D-getter for it? I know. I'm sick that way. LOL.
basshead.gif

yea but it takes a little skill to do the mods!  There are guys building these sick Clear vertical Hybrid amps :O like literally they stand like 8 inches tall :O they look mad crazy cool [in clear plexi glass or clear something] 

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #626 of 4,971
  yea but it takes a little skill to do the mods!  There are guys building these sick Clear vertical Hybrid amps :O like literally they stand like 8 inches tall :O they look mad crazy cool [in clear plexi glass or clear something] 

Awesome. Isn't it interesting, how the whole idea of modding seems to follow budget-fi amps in general? That's one thing I'd never expect to do, on a Schiit amp. Other than maybe wanting to experiment on tube rolling a Vali.

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #627 of 4,971

Awesome. Isn't it interesting, how the whole idea of modding seems to follow budget-fi amps in general? That's one thing I'd never expect to do, on a Schiit amp. Other than maybe wanting to experiment on tube rolling a Vali.

indeed it is! Some one ought to sell Fully Modded Bravos! Dan does it it with the T50RP so there is a chance for some great profit and some awsome quality! 

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #628 of 4,971
Hmm , what if the tube inside the vali dies? Anyway to replace?

Jason already confirmed that if the tube needs to be replaced outside of warranty, you can send your amp to Schiit to get the tube replaced, for a reasonable cost.

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #629 of 4,971
6088s only have 5 pins and are easy to change if you need to but have a VERY long life so I can't see why you need to. It is likely that other components may fail first at that age. These things have a long life but when I have had to change wire ended valves in the past it is a simple operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back