NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Mar 20, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #4,576 of 4,971
  Are you looking for some gain, connectivity or both? If just the connectivity you could get a SYS or just a cheap switch or Y cables and use a Vali.

It would be mainly for connectivity.  And I would prefer to keep it as clean and simple as possible with my limited amount of desktop space.  I would run powered monitors when not using headphones.  I would like to use just one master volume for either the headphones or the monitors.

I could go with the Magni 2 Uber which has everything I need but am just a little heart-set on trying tubes (even as simplistic as the ones in the Vali may be).

Any feedback on if the Vali would be a worthy upgrade to the Magni 2 Uber for Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250ohm?  And I also hope to upgrade to the Sennheiser HD 650's in the near future.  I sold my HD580's last year and I would say it was a big mistake on my part...
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #4,577 of 4,971

It would be mainly for connectivity.  And I would prefer to keep it as clean and simple as possible with my limited amount of desktop space.  I would run powered monitors when not using headphones.  I would like to use just one master volume for either the headphones or the monitors.

I could go with the Magni 2 Uber which has everything I need but am just a little heart-set on trying tubes (even as simplistic as the ones in the Vali may be).

Any feedback on if the Vali would be a worthy upgrade to the Magni 2 Uber for Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250ohm?  And I also hope to upgrade to the Sennheiser HD 650's in the near future.  I sold my HD580's last year and I would say it was a big mistake on my part...
frown.gif

Then SYS + Val + powered monitors. If you like the HD600's you can save around a hundred bucks.
The Vali is not an upgrade to the Magni, it is a choice.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #4,578 of 4,971
  Then SYS + Val + powered monitors. If you like the HD600's you can save around a hundred bucks.
The Vali is not an upgrade to the Magni, it is a choice.

Right now the price difference on Amazon between the HD650 and HD600 is $11.00.

The HD650 has dropped to $290 several times now since late January.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #4,579 of 4,971
I have both the Magni 2 Uber and the Vali. I'd say I prefer the sound of the Vali slightly more, but currently have the M2U connected in my system due to the pre-outs.I run the pre-out to the Aux In on a vintage Sansui AU-717 integrated amp that powers  a pair of JBL110 speakers.

I have always questioned whether the RCA splitters would degrade the sound quality in some way. I guess for the price it would be worth a try. Or just grab a Sys and use it in reverse.

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #4,580 of 4,971
  I have both the Magni 2 Uber and the Vali. I'd say I prefer the sound of the Vali slightly more, but currently have the M2U connected in my system due to the pre-outs.I run the pre-out to the Aux In on a vintage Sansui AU-717 integrated amp that powers  a pair of JBL110 speakers.

I have always questioned whether the RCA splitters would degrade the sound quality in some way. I guess for the price it would be worth a try. Or just grab a Sys and use it in reverse.

If you used a Y cable on the Modi out, the Modi has an output impedance of 75 Ohms, the line inputs are several thousand Ohms (typically 10K Ohms) and the capacitance of short Y and RCA cables will not result in many pf which should not cause any issues with the Modi.
Nice price on those HD650's at Amazon, if I didn't already have HD600's, HE-500's, and a large number of other headphones, I'd be hitting the buy button.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #4,582 of 4,971
Off topic but why get the 650s over the 600s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on which sound profile you prefer. I prefer the 600's others prefer 650's. It takes A/B ear time to determine which floats your boat.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #4,584 of 4,971
So what is the sound profile of each and primary differences, if I could ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are very similar.
The HD600 a bit more neutral.
The HD650 a bit more bass a bit less treble.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #4,585 of 4,971
FWIW I'm with jgreen16 in owning both the Vali and the M2U and slightly preferring the Vali.  But besides the preamp outs the M2U has switchable gain (1.5 or 6 vs Vali's 4) which may be important in some situations, and the Vali has the possibility of tube microphonics. (Though mine, purchased new in 2015, seems to be one of the very non-microphonic ones and I've yet to experience this issue myself.)

Re Y cables, here is what I have used, and if it degraded the signal at all, I couldn't tell:  http://www.parts-express.com/rca-male-to-dual-rt-angle-rca-female--091-1045

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #4,586 of 4,971
  FWIW I'm with jgreen16 in owning both the Vali and the M2U and slightly preferring the Vali.  But besides the preamp outs the M2U has switchable gain (1.5 or 6 vs Vali's 4) which may be important in some situations, and the Vali has the possibility of tube microphonics. (Though mine, purchased new in 2015, seems to be one of the very non-microphonic ones and I've yet to experience this issue myself.)

Re Y cables, here is what I have used, and if it degraded the signal at all, I couldn't tell:  http://www.parts-express.com/rca-male-to-dual-rt-angle-rca-female--091-1045

IMO some folks insist upon hearing something and so they do. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #4,587 of 4,971

I think I'll grab a pair of those and try them out with the Vali. My Vali was alos very non-microphonic. I tried tapping it fairly hard, just to see what the ringing sounded like, and heard absolutely nothing. I must be the exception to your comment Stan D. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #4,588 of 4,971
  I think I'll grab a pair of those and try them out with the Vali. My Vali was alos very non-microphonic. I tried tapping it fairly hard, just to see what the ringing sounded like, and heard absolutely nothing. I must be the exception to your comment Stan D. 
biggrin.gif

My comment was about the Y cable degrading the signal, I say no.
I have an earlier Vali and it does ring when I tap on it, touching it doesn't cause any problems.

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #4,589 of 4,971
  My comment was about the Y cable degrading the signal, I say no.
I have an earlier Vali and it does ring when I tap on it, touching it doesn't cause any problems.

Yeah, I know, hence my smiley too. Before considering trying some type of splitter I did some research, and as you might imagine, there were a lot of differing opinions on whether there was any sound degradation. For $15, I may as well try this out for myself. Or, for a bit more, the Sys would look good in the Schiit stack, and act as a switch as opposed to a splitter.

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #4,590 of 4,971
  Yeah, I know, hence my smiley too. Before considering trying some type of splitter I did some research, and as you might imagine, there were a lot of differing opinions on whether there was any sound degradation. For $15, I may as well try this out for myself. Or, for a bit more, the Sys would look good in the Schiit stack, and act as a switch as opposed to a splitter.

I'm an EE and I can tell you that there is no reason for it to create any problems unless it is defective. If for example you are using a Schiit DAC, they have an output impedance of 75 Ohms, that's pretty low and most line inputs have an impedance of 10K Ohms. I do this all the time, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back