NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Mar 21, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #4,591 of 4,971
  I'm an EE and I can tell you that there is no reason for it to create any problems unless it is defective. If for example you are using a Schiit DAC, they have an output impedance of 75 Ohms, that's pretty low and most line inputs have an impedance of 10K Ohms. I do this all the time, go for it.

Yep, I have a Schiit Modi, and I would be running RCA cables to the Aux In of a Sansui AU-717 integrated amp.

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #4,592 of 4,971
  Yep, I have a Schiit Modi, and I would be running RCA cables to the Aux In of a Sansui AU-717 integrated amp.

The Aux input impedance is 47K Ohms, that's not going to be a problem. The link to a PDF of your owner's manual is below, that's where I got the the Aux input impedance. Don't you just love Google. 
biggrin.gif

http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10007/Sansui%20AU-717%20Owner%27s%20Manual.pdf

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #4,593 of 4,971
Hi guys,
Can somebody recommend an upgrade to Vali?
Lyr2 or bottlehead can be considered as a complete upgrade?

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #4,595 of 4,971
  Are you only looking tube amp and what is your budget?

No, I just compare amp section of my fiio x5 with vali, and found vali more pleasing. It's air suited my taste better than black background of x5's amp. So I concluded that maybe tubes are my things. I want to keep my budget as low as possible, especially below 500$. I thought about getting an ifi idsd micro as a dac/amp. But, I don't know exactly what to expect from its amp section and how it stands against vali/lyr2/or ...

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #4,596 of 4,971
Lyr2 and bottlehead are great choices . I also recommend looking at the options from Garage1217.com  
Like Schiit they are a small manufacturer who turn out high quality amps at great prices either in kit form or pre-built by them using American sourced arts labor as much as possible . 
I have a project Sunrise II amp from them and I love it. (going on about 2 years now)
One really nice thing about them is they are highly configurable allowing you to adjust the output impedance to better match your headphone. Allow both 6v and 12v tube rolling in their tube amps. They are just now starting to offer an aluminum chassis instead of the clear acrylic one in the past if that is of interest. For $200-$300 you can get a great amp built by them and delivered

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #4,598 of 4,971
  Lyr2 and bottlehead are great choices . I also recommend looking at the options from Garage1217.com  
Like Schiit they are a small manufacturer who turn out high quality amps at great prices either in kit form or pre-built by them using American sourced arts labor as much as possible . 
I have a project Sunrise II amp from them and I love it. (going on about 2 years now)
One really nice thing about them is they are highly configurable allowing you to adjust the output impedance to better match your headphone. Allow both 6v and 12v tube rolling in their tube amps. They are just now starting to offer an aluminum chassis instead of the clear acrylic one in the past if that is of interest. For $200-$300 you can get a great amp built by them and delivered

Valhalla 2 if it suits your headphones.  

Thank you. I think, I need to decide on headphone first. Currently, I'm strugling between he560 and T1. I've asked here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/12465#post_11451074

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #4,599 of 4,971
My own Personal Choices would be, (excuse the Bias because I own them) An AKG either K701 or K702, Sen HD600, ( I actually prefer them to the HD 650's that I recently sold.) and for Earphones I'm in love with my Senn IE8's with about 400 Hrs on them. I can't see needing different phones, I'm happy with these.

Yes, I know these are at totally opposite ends of the spectrum. But if I want to get clinical, I go AKG as they reveal EVERYTHING in a recording,  or for just listening the Senns with their veil.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #4,600 of 4,971

Thank you. I think, I need to decide on headphone first. Currently, I'm strugling between he560 and T1. I've asked here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/12465#post_11451074

The 560s are significantly trickier to drive.  And you wouldn't want to go with the Vali or Valhalla in that case.  Something beefier like the Lyr 2 would be in order.

The T1 would probably pair quite nicely with the Valhalla 2.

Don't be afraid to look lower for your headphones.  I'd recommend a used HE-500, personally, but there are a lot of good options out there and it all depends on your preferred sound signature.

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #4,601 of 4,971

Agree with Garage1217 amps as other option. I've beem very happy with the performance.
Match very well with hd650 using 6dj8 tube, very 3d holographic, deeeep soundstage.
Very configurable amp, tons of tube types can be used.
That's said, i am happy with both vali and ember.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #4,605 of 4,971
i have a question regarding the caps used in the vali circuit.
2 of the caps supposed to be gold in colour caps.but mine was mild blue in color..
is that Schiit was informing anything regarding this replacement of caps anywhere?
any idea anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back