NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Oct 29, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #4,276 of 4,971
I've noticed that my tubes keep coming off the pads and this seems to be the culprit of a steady high pitch noise that starts off quiet and then gets louder as time passes until I power off and back on the amp which fixes it. What can I use to keep the tubes from coming off their pads? Any certain type of tape?

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #4,278 of 4,971
  I've noticed that my tubes keep coming off the pads and this seems to be the culprit of a steady high pitch noise that starts off quiet and then gets louder as time passes until I power off and back on the amp which fixes it. What can I use to keep the tubes from coming off their pads? Any certain type of tape?

It has been mentioned earlier in the thread, it would seem the best method is to gently bend the leads so that the tubes naturally lay at or below foam top level (I believe Schiit incorporated this into Vali production).

(Search thread for "bend leads")

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #4,279 of 4,971
I just used my Vali with my Grado SR325is for the first time in a few weeks.  I noticed some intermittent noise that I have never heard before, and I have isolated the problem to the Vali.  I have always heard a constant hissing noise that hasn't bothered me because it isn't noticeable with music playing.  This noise, however, is occasionally noticeable.  It sort of sounds like the interference noise that you hear when you plug sensitive headphones directly into a computer's headphone jack, if anyone knows what that sounds like.  Has anyone else experienced something like this?  What should I do?  I bought the Vali used here last December, so I doubt that I could get it repaired/replaced by Schiit under a warranty.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #4,282 of 4,971

Quote:

I have the same problem, and I posted my solution about this some month ago

I'm using tube damper rings to push down the tubes.

========================
I'm using tube damper rings to push down the tubes onto the pads. I put the damper rings vertically on the tubes and reassembled the chassis. (It's somewhat difficult to reassemble the chassis with rings on tubes.) After using damper rings, the ringing is much reduced though it still exists. It's much better.
========================

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #4,283 of 4,971
How many of you are using the rubber feet that come with the amp?

So far, this little guy has exceeded my expectations.  Great pairing with the HE-400i.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #4,284 of 4,971
How many of you are using the rubber feet that come with the amp?

So far, this little guy has exceeded my expectations.  Great pairing with the HE-400i.

Sure, using the supplied feet. I also put some squishy Sorbothane feet on too, to see if it would reduce the initial ringing. Didn't hurt, but not sure it made a positive difference.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #4,285 of 4,971
Got it at last!

I got the ringing on the right channel for maybe 15 seconds after I plugged in my 'phones.  No issue afterwards, I even gave it a few knocks and not a sound of complaint.  This thing looks solidly built, I like its weight.

First impressions (with HD600): Very nice highs, almost angelic.  I feel like my ears will never get tired.

AC/DC rocks hard with this.  This is my first experience with tubes, now I'm hearing what they can do to electric guitars... Yummm.

I've had it on for only 20 minutes.  Vali is now to the touch, and the warmth is getting to the sound, too - soundstage opening up nicely.  Pink Floyd's Great Gig in the Sky + Vali + HD600 + a glass of Leffe Blonde + Friday evening = a wonderful start to the weekend...

More impressions to come later...

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #4,286 of 4,971
  Got it at last!

I got the ringing on the right channel for maybe 15 seconds after I plugged in my 'phones.  No issue afterwards, I even gave it a few knocks and not a sound of complaint.  This thing looks solidly built, I like its weight.

First impressions (with HD600): Very nice highs, almost angelic.  I feel like my ears will never get tired.

AC/DC rocks hard with this.  This is my first experience with tubes, now I'm hearing what they can do to electric guitars... Yummm.

I've had it on for only 20 minutes.  Vali is now to the touch, and the warmth is getting to the sound, too - soundstage opening up nicely.  Pink Floyd's Great Gig in the Sky + Vali + HD600 + a glass of Leffe Blonde + Friday evening = a wonderful start to the weekend...

More impressions to come later...

+1, Vali & HD600!

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #4,287 of 4,971
On to classical music... Right now I'm listening to my favourite Wagner CD, that is Act 1 of Die Walküre by the Staatskapelle Dresden (cond. Janowski).

Much as I love this recording, it has always sounded somewhat grainy to me, and Jessye Norman seemed rather shrieky.  The Vali/HD600 combo has easily smoothed out these issues, which I had (rightly or wrongly) attributed to the growing pains of early 1980's digital recording.

Wagner and tubes.  Hmmm...

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #4,289 of 4,971
Does anyone else have a constant static with this amplifier? I am getting some static regardless of volume level, about 30db loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back