NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 17, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #4,306 of 4,971
  is there anybody here that uses grado?

i have the prestige series low-end model, grado sr80(e)to be exact... im having difficulty deciding between magni solid state and vali hybrid tube...

i've never heard tube sounds, so i dont know how that sound really. anybody have opinions on this...?

by the way, im using fiio e10k usb dac/amp at the moment. since grado sr80 is very efficient to begin with... will i notice a change from the <$100 fiio e10k to a magni / vali?

ps: i have to pay 45% import tax to buy schiit product. so.... there's no way i can buy both and try even if i return it, it's better value to just keep both, which i cant afford...

so,,, any opinions?

cheers

Am listening with the Vali/SR225 (woodied) combo now as I type. The typical Grado's aggressive sound is still present but with vocals, there is a slight lushness with a very pleasant reverb to the tone. With the Magni, you still get a very dynamic sound with the Grados but they lack the organic hint of tubes in the overall tonality. Depends what you prefer really.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #4,307 of 4,971
Just picked up a Vali from the amplification F/S thread, and so far I'm very happy. It's my first foray into the tube world, albeit a hybrid one. Compares very favorably with the Asgard 2 I previously owned.  

I'll post up some further thoughts once I've been able to give it an extended listen. I'll also be able to compare it to the hp out on my vintage Sansui AU-717 vintage integrated amp.

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #4,308 of 4,971
  is there anybody here that uses grado?

i have the prestige series low-end model, grado sr80(e)to be exact... im having difficulty deciding between magni solid state and vali hybrid tube...

i've never heard tube sounds, so i dont know how that sound really. anybody have opinions on this...?

by the way, im using fiio e10k usb dac/amp at the moment. since grado sr80 is very efficient to begin with... will i notice a change from the <$100 fiio e10k to a magni / vali?

ps: i have to pay 45% import tax to buy schiit product. so.... there's no way i can buy both and try even if i return it, it's better value to just keep both, which i cant afford...

so,,, any opinions?

cheers

My Grado SR125i sounds very good with the Vali.

I also have an O2, which, as far as I know, sounds almost the same as the Magni... In my opinion Vali sounds much better. But, as the user Rossliew above said, depends on preferences.

(Btw the import tax here is 60% over the product+shipping prices... but I still think it was VERY worth.)

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #4,309 of 4,971
  It has been mentioned earlier in the thread, it would seem the best method is to gently bend the leads so that the tubes naturally lay at or below foam top level (I believe Schiit incorporated this into Vali production).

(Search thread for "bend leads")

Was going to attempt to do this today as both were off their pads again, but the leads seem so thin that I'm scared I'll pull them off lol. To those that bended them, what did you use? Plyers? Did you bend them near the tube or the board?

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #4,310 of 4,971
darinf posted some pictures a bit back which showed how schiit does it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp/3765#post_10474289

Anyone know what the new pads are made of? I purchased the Vali on day one and it does ring quite a bit. I'd like to help it in any way possible. 

Apparently my repaired Vali is nowhere to be found. So they sent me a new one overnight.

This one rings a LOT less that my previous one. There is still a tiny bit of ringing, but nothing like my original unit which was one of the early shipping units.

As promised, here's the photos of the tubes inside.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #4,311 of 4,971
I'm currently waiting for mine to be shipped but curious, what sub-$100-150 cans are good with the Vali? I already have a HE-400i but I'd like to get another can to change things up a bit. No grados, or beyers, I'm just not a fan of either's sound sig.

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #4,313 of 4,971
Everything I have is good with the Vali. Try the 15 dollar Koss KTX Pro 1 with the Vali, it's amazing!

Thanks, any recommendations for over the ear? 

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #4,316 of 4,971
Sony MDRV6. A classic, and only $85.
I'm currently waiting for mine to be shipped but curious, what sub-$100-150 cans are good with the Vali? I already have a HE-400i but I'd like to get another can to change things up a bit. No grados, or beyers, I'm just not a fan of either's sound sig.

Thanks!

Sony MDRV6. A classic and only $85.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #4,317 of 4,971

Thanks!

Consider the impedance and efficiency of any cans you will use on the Vali. I'm a fan of it but it's best with high impedance headphones. I tried a grado on it and the turn-on "ting" and the background hiss was pronounced. However, Vali is perfect w my 300 ohm Senns.
I see posts above that say they get good results with their Grados. Good for them, but didn't work out for me.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4,318 of 4,971
Between the Vali and Magni, which would better complement my cans?
• HD 600
• Fidelio X1
• ATH-M50
• MDR-V6

I'd greatly appreciate feedback from anyone who's tried any of these cans with the Vali and/or Magni.

I'm also curious if any E12 owners could give their thoughts on how the E12 compares to the Vali and/or Magni, with respect to sound quality. I'm guessing that for the E12, I'd be paying a premium for portability, correct? Would I be right to assume the Vali offers better sound quality than the E12, for the same price?

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #4,319 of 4,971
Consider the impedance and efficiency of any cans you will use on the Vali. I'm a fan of it but it's best with high impedance headphones. I tried a grado on it and the turn-on "ting" and the background hiss was pronounced. However, Vali is perfect w my 300 ohm Senns.
I see posts above that say they get good results with their Grados. Good for them, but didn't work out for me.

Yeah I'm aware of that, I've read somewhere on this thread where someone had said that the higher the better but they only recommended 50-75 ohm cans. My 400i is 35 ohms which may be a bit of an issue but I have yet to hear it when my Vali arrives. I'm assuming you are talking about the HD650 having 300 ohms?

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #4,320 of 4,971

Yeah I'm aware of that, I've read somewhere on this thread where someone had said that the higher the better but they only recommended 50-75 ohm cans. My 400i is 35 ohms which may be a bit of an issue but I have yet to hear it when my Vali arrives. I'm assuming you are talking about the HD650 having 300 ohms?

Man cannot judge by ohms alone.

The 400i is a great match with the Vali.  Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back