NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 8, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #4,291 of 4,971

I have found that the Vali is quite sensitive to any other transmitter type electronics in close proximity to it. Examples would be a cell phone, wireless modems, etc. Since relocating my Vali away from these sources it has become a lot less noisy and has a much more quite background. It is still not absolutely quite but mine is a very early production model and has the "horny" tubes that stand up.  I just don't use IEM's with it as I couldn't be bothered to send it back to Schiit as I would miss it too much as I use it almost every day. It is quite sublime with the Modi DAC fed from my iMac with high res files and listening with my HE 400i headphones. AC/DC has never sounded this good!
Enjoy the music. 
P.S. I must mention that when I met Jason at the Head-Fi meet in March, he offered to sort it out with a little mod they have but I never sent him my mailing info so it's my bad and NOT a reflection of the outstanding Schiit customer service. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #4,293 of 4,971

I use both low and high impedance cans with the Vali, it doesn't seem to care. My favourite cans with the Vali are HE400i, Q701, HD650 and T90. They all sound great with the Vali. I believe that a well designed and engineered amp doesn't really care too much about the headphone impedance and should work well with most headphones as the Vali DOES! I am a music enthusiast, not a bloody engineer so the gear I buy should be able to be used with a wide variety of headphones and the Vali can be used this way and I am very happy with it and highly recommend it to both "newbies" as well as "old salts". The gear just works. This is as it should be. I am definitely a Schiit fanboy because those guys do it right IMO.

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #4,294 of 4,971
Does anyone else have a constant static with this amplifier? I am getting some static regardless of volume level, about 30db loud.

As previous replies have suggested, it is likely one of two possibilities.  If you are using low-impedance headphones, you will hear a low-level constant hissing noise when no music is playing.  I hear this with my Grado SR325is, but not with my K612, HD600, DT880, or HE400.  Alternatively, if it is an intermittent interference-type noise that may be audible even while music is playing, it is likely being caused by electronic interference.  For me, this occurred when my cell phone was within about a foot of the Vali.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #4,295 of 4,971
  As previous replies have suggested, it is likely one of two possibilities.  If you are using low-impedance headphones, you will hear a low-level constant hissing noise when no music is playing.  I hear this with my Grado SR325is, but not with my K612, HD600, DT880, or HE400.  Alternatively, if it is an intermittent interference-type noise that may be audible even while music is playing, it is likely being caused by electronic interference.  For me, this occurred when my cell phone was within about a foot of the Vali.

The determining factor for hearing noise when using the Vali is not just impedance but also the sensitivity of the headphone or IEM. My HE-500's are low impedance yet one will not the Vali's noise as these are not considered to be sensitive headphones.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #4,296 of 4,971
  The determining factor for hearing noise when using the Vali is not just impedance but also the sensitivity of the headphone or IEM. My HE-500's are low impedance yet one will not the Vali's noise as these are not considered to be sensitive headphones.

You're right.  I forgot to mention sensitivity.  Like I said, I didn't hear the hissing noise with the HE400, which has relatively low impedance, but I do hear the noise with the SR325is, which is much more sensitive.

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #4,298 of 4,971
Darn it, but Vali + HD600 is an addictive combo.  I've been having some Sibelius symphonies and tone poems for the last three hours, it's way past my bedtime and I'm unable to stop listening.  I know I will feel like Schiit in the morning...

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #4,299 of 4,971
is there anybody here that uses grado?

i have the prestige series low-end model, grado sr80(e)to be exact... im having difficulty deciding between magni solid state and vali hybrid tube...

i've never heard tube sounds, so i dont know how that sound really. anybody have opinions on this...?

by the way, im using fiio e10k usb dac/amp at the moment. since grado sr80 is very efficient to begin with... will i notice a change from the <$100 fiio e10k to a magni / vali?

ps: i have to pay 45% import tax to buy schiit product. so.... there's no way i can buy both and try even if i return it, it's better value to just keep both, which i cant afford...

so,,, any opinions?

cheers

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #4,300 of 4,971
I've got the SR325e with both a Magni and a Vali (use the magni on the PC, Vali with the turntable).  They are both terrific, and the Vali is still a very clean sound with the tubes.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #4,301 of 4,971
  is there anybody here that uses grado?

i have the prestige series low-end model, grado sr80(e)to be exact... im having difficulty deciding between magni solid state and vali hybrid tube...

i've never heard tube sounds, so i dont know how that sound really. anybody have opinions on this...?

by the way, im using fiio e10k usb dac/amp at the moment. since grado sr80 is very efficient to begin with... will i notice a change from the <$100 fiio e10k to a magni / vali?

ps: i have to pay 45% import tax to buy schiit product. so.... there's no way i can buy both and try even if i return it, it's better value to just keep both, which i cant afford...

so,,, any opinions?

cheers

I use a Vali with my SR325is, and I really love the combo.  I don't have golden ears, and even I can easily notice an improvement over my Fiio E11, which I'm guessing is about as good as the E10's amp.  Specifically, the bass is a little more present (without bass boost on the E11) and fuller, and the soundstage is clearly larger.  The sound has a little more impact and weight with the Vali.  The only downside is the constant hissing, which is not noticeable while music is playing (except during very quiet sections).  I haven't heard the Magni (or any other amps for that matter).

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #4,302 of 4,971
I'm trying the Vali + Modi in comparison to a Fiio E09K + E17.

I prefer the sound from the Vali + Modi combo; in fact I want to say that I love it. In conjunction with my newly acquired NAD VISO HP50, it's like I'm rediscovering music I've been listening to for years. Music is hitting me with a power, presence, and clarity with which I am not familiar.

However, I wasn't prepared for the nuances of a tube amp. A lack of research on my part. Just tapping the amp makes an audible *ding* sound in my headphones. There's also a lot of background hiss. It's not perceivable when sound is coming through the headphones but I usually have my headphones on constantly when I'm at my desk, so it gets to be kind of tiring. My Fiio E09K also has a bit of a hiss, but it scales based on the volume where as with the Vali it is consistent irrespective of volume.

This is kind of a rock and a hard place for me. I'm sure there's a lot of interference in the general realm of my desk; what with a WiFi router and my cell phone in close proximity. I can't really isolate the amp from these sources without some critical thought and rearrangement.

This setup seems great if I were using it exclusively for dedicated audio listening away from everything else. I'm not sure if I would be better off with the Magni and I'm getting the impression that it wouldn't sound as nice. I also don't get the EQ features of the Fiio E17, although I must say I actually disliked the overall bulk of the E17 sticking out of the top of the E09K -- just one more thing to trip over in some kind of way.

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #4,303 of 4,971
I'm trying to decide between the Vali and the Bravo Audio Ocean to drive my AKG Q701's.

They're both more or less the same price and I like the fact that the Bravo has a preamp out jack and takes 12au7 tubes as I've got quite a few to roll through it. I've gone through the search but the Bravo doesn't seem to have nearly the following the Vali does. If anyone's tried them both I'd like to hear your feedback.TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back