NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jun 29, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #4,036 of 4,971
Is it normal for the Vali to make headphones make a high pitch ringing sound (not the tinging sound)?

After my headphones have been plugged into the Vali for a few minutes a high pitch ring will start in one ear. The volume of the ringing varies and it will sometimes fade out and stop for a while.

The ringing that I'm talking about is different from the tinging sound that the Vali makes for a few seconds when it turns on.

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #4,037 of 4,971
  Is it normal for the Vali to make headphones make a high pitch ringing sound (not the tinging sound)?

After my headphones have been plugged into the Vali for a few minutes a high pitch ring will start in one ear. The volume of the ringing varies and it will sometimes fade out and stop for a while.

The ringing that I'm talking about is different from the tinging sound that the Vali makes for a few seconds when it turns on.

It should go away within 30 seconds or less from plugging in. Maybe you have a faulty tube that amplifies your one ear. Email info@schiit.com and see what they say.

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #4,038 of 4,971
  It should go away within 30 seconds or less from plugging in. Maybe you have a faulty tube that amplifies your one ear. Email info@schiit.com and see what they say.

The tinging from when I turn on the Vali does go away after a few seconds but the high pitch ringing starts after around 30 seconds and stays.

I'll definitely email them to see what they say.

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #4,039 of 4,971
  The tinging from when I turn on the Vali does go away after a few seconds but the high pitch ringing starts after around 30 seconds and stays.

I'll definitely email them to see what they say.

Thanks!

That is definitely not normal. I'm certain that they'll make good on it.

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #4,042 of 4,971
Putt putt is not normal. Aside from the high pitched "ting-ing" that they have upon turn on and/or physical contact, which lasts 30 seconds (more or less), they're quiet. Putt putt is a different problem, email Schiit to see what they think.

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #4,043 of 4,971
...I know putt putt isn't normal, that's why I specifically asked if that's a tube problem manifestation. I've never had anything with tubes before, so I have no knowledge of what a problem would sound like with a tube. 

Anyway, their answer was a series of basic trouble shooting steps that was unnecessary. I've been building computers for 20 years now, it's not my setup (which had not changed anyway).

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #4,045 of 4,971
I had that same situation. After a while of normal operation, a prolonged ringing would develop.

It lasted a little while and didn't go away by rapping on the amp. I turned the amp off and then on again. It went away and hasn't returned. But I experienced something like this at least two separate times.

I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but I kind of think there was some vibrational feedback situation happening.

Meaning that maybe conditions were just right, with the compliance of the chair cushion the amp was sitting on, the vibration going on in the room and through the floor, and the compliance of the adhesive pads under the tubes, that excited a consistent and prolonged ringing in the tubes. Which is unrelated to the initial ringing that you get during turn on.

I don't know if that's really what's going on, but I can't think of another explanation given the intermittent nature of that prolonged delayed ringing.

Any other ideas?

P.S. - I think that putt putt sound is tube related. I've had some sputtering sounds come from my Cary tube preamp and that was definitely tube related. Sounds like a similar thing. I'd contact Schiit and see what they can do for you as a sputtering amp can mean a faulty tube.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #4,047 of 4,971
Sorry if this has been covered in this thread already.

I'm on the lookout for a desktop amp and dac combo for my DT770 250s. I've heard lots of good things about the Magni and was going to get the Magni and Modi combo until someone in the Magni thread suggested the Vali instead due to my cans. 

I'm a complete audiophile novice and not sure which of the two amps is best suited to my needs for home use (music, gaming, watching movies etc).  There seems to be a lot more reviews and information on the Magni than there does on the Vali however I do know that the Vali uses tubes where as the Magni doesn't. Are tubes better? I also have a pair of Creative Aurvana Live's so an amp that will power both will be ideal. 

Based on what cans I have, and what they'll be used for, which of the two would people recommend? Here in the UK the Vali is slightly more expensive but still within my budget. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4,048 of 4,971

I'm on the lookout for a desktop amp and dac combo for my DT770 250s. I've heard lots of good things about the Magni and was going to get the Magni and Modi combo until someone in the Magni thread suggested the Vali instead due to my cans. 

I'm a complete audiophile novice and not sure which of the two amps is best suited to my needs for home use (music, gaming, watching movies etc).  There seems to be a lot more reviews and information on the Magni than there does on the Vali however I do know that the Vali uses tubes where as the Magni doesn't. Are tubes better? I also have a pair of Creative Aurvana Live's so an amp that will power both will be ideal. 

Based on what cans I have, and what they'll be used for, which of the two would people recommend? Here in the UK the Vali is slightly more expensive but still within my budget. 

The Vali has higher output impedancr and higher voltage drive which is more suitable for high impedance headphones. Having said that, it is also pretty versatile as it can drive most other sensitive low impedance headphones as well. For the money, you could live with it for quite awhile and pair it with other sensitive low impedance headphones you may purchase in future. It also sounds very good without an overly syrupy, tubey kinda sound. Its musical sounding imo.

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #4,049 of 4,971

I have a pair of the aforementioned DT770 250's. They are my favorite cans, at least until I can magically afford something better.

My current favorite setup includes driving these with a Schiit Modi into a Bravo V2 (stock) amp, which is equipped with a late 50's vintage square getter Mullard tube. I have recently modified another Bravo V2 and am awaiting sufficient time to compare the modified Bravo against the stock unit (they are in different cities), which will result in yet another comparison. For whatever that's worth.

Preliminary testing indicates the modified Bravo V2 blows the stock unit into the weeds. It is unclear if the modified Bravo V2 is better than a Schiit Vali or not, but others who seem to know, indicate the Vali is superior. With all due respect to Jason and Schiit, I'm withholding judgement until I can compare for myself. I'm just not quite so sure that those little micro tubes out perform the legendary vintage Mullards.

Ideally, one day I shall show up to a meet, with a modified Bravo V2 sporting a square getter Mullard, which I can then compare side by side with a Vali. And other stuffs. I am a test engineer by trade. I don't believe it until I see it. Or hear it.
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #4,050 of 4,971
Has anyone experience with the Vali amp and Hifiman He-500?
Does it complement each other or should i stay with Matrix M-Stage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back