NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jun 8, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #4,006 of 4,971
  Hi, I've just got the Vali recently, and I'm new to audiophile equipment. Should I keep my headphones plugged in when turning off the Vali, or should I unplug my headphones first?

Thanks

It's safe to keep your headphones plugged in all the time, as the Vali has a mute delay.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #4,007 of 4,971
  Hi, I've just got the Vali recently, and I'm new to audiophile equipment. Should I keep my headphones plugged in when turning off the Vali, or should I unplug my headphones first?

Thanks

Doesn't make a difference as the Vali has a delay relay protecting the headphones from on/off transients. You can just leave them plugged in all the time if that suites you.

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #4,008 of 4,971
  Doesn't make a difference as the Vali has a delay relay protecting the headphones from on/off transients. You can just leave them plugged in all the time if that suites you.

Mute delay, delay relay, I knew it was called something like that!
redface.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #4,010 of 4,971
If you are getting noise due to the headphone being sensitive you need an LPAD to attenuate the output of the Vali. At what is the position of the volume control of the Vali are you listening at?

Oh I don't have the Vali, I was just asking because i read many places about the microphonics and hiss problems on it. Right now I'm saving up for either a Vali or some new expensive tubes for my T1.

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #4,011 of 4,971
Oh I don't have the Vali, I was just asking because i read many places about the microphonics and hiss problems on it. Right now I'm saving up for either a Vali or some new expensive tubes for my T1.

I was of konfused
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #4,012 of 4,971

I have none of the problems you've mentioned when used with my hd800. There's some ringing when plugged into the unit but it only last for a couple of seconds. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #4,014 of 4,971
Seems to depend on the unit; some have more and some less.  I have 2 Vali's, bought a couple months apart (wide difference in serial numbers).  Both of them "ting-ing-ing-ing" for about 20 to 30 seconds when plugging in phones, or flipping the switch to "on", or if tapped with a little bit of force.  The ringing is more pronounced with efficient low-impedance headphones (the amp is not designed for them).  But the 30 second ringing is still plenty evident on my 300 ohm Sennheisers.

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #4,015 of 4,971
Originally Posted by StanD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
I was of konfused
wink.gif

Same thing happens to me when I'm reading Head-Fi, and forget to add mixer to my cup full of whiskey. One big gulp of straight whiskey will get your attention.

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #4,016 of 4,971

Same thing happens to me when I'm reading Head-Fi, and forget to add mixer to my cup full of whiskey. One big gulp of straight whiskey will get your attention.

Be careful, I feed the squirrels in my yard. Only they don't get any booze. The bag of safflower seeds that I use for the birdfeeders states that squirrels don't like the stuff, too bad the squirrels forgot to read the bag. My squirrels have Hybrid BA IEMs and have been putting together a petition for Schiit to make a portable DAP.

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #4,017 of 4,971
I just don't like how hot it gets even when you have the volume on low. I want to put a fan in it! Seems to get hot even when not driving anything too hard. I have HE-400's and they are low impedance 35 Ohm and Vali gets pretty warm. I know a class A amp should be hot to warm, but this is not a pure class A it's an A/B?!

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #4,018 of 4,971
  I just don't like how hot it gets even when you have the volume on low. I want to put a fan in it! Seems to get hot even when not driving anything too hard. I have HE-400's and they are low impedance 35 Ohm and Vali gets pretty warm. I know a class A amp should be hot to warm, but this is not a pure class A it's an A/B?!

The entire steel case is a heatsink. It'll be fine.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #4,019 of 4,971

The entire steel case is a heatsink. It'll be fine.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it seems like the whole case is acting like a heatsink. Just bothers me a tad that even on low power driving levels it gets as warm as on higher volume driving levels. Would think that lower volume levels that it would not be working as hard that's all. Sounds good even so!!

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #4,020 of 4,971
Coming from IEM's, I have recently purchased my first headphone and amp combo. Schiit Vali paired up with my old dream, the Sennheiser HD600. My DAC is a Fiio X3. These three together just sound amazing. Could not help to share. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back