NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Feb 25, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #3,559 of 4,971
Ringing, my Vali has it. Thought I'd let y'all know.

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #3,560 of 4,971
My Vali rings like Jason described it on the site.  I hear it when I turn it on or plug in headphones, but after about 15 seconds it is gone.  I don't notice any further ringing during normal listening.  I did put a 1.5" diameter circle of sorbothane under it instead of the little feet that come with the unit, though.  Maybe that helps. After the ring goes away, the background is silent. I am using Senn 650's and it sounds great.

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #3,561 of 4,971
  My Vali rings like Jason described it on the site.  I hear it when I turn it on or plug in headphones, but after about 15 seconds it is gone.  I don't notice any further ringing during normal listening.  I did put a 1.5" diameter circle of sorbothane under it instead of the little feet that come with the unit, though.  Maybe that helps. After the ring goes away, the background is silent. I am using Senn 650's and it sounds great.

I will definitely be trying sorbothane feet on mine when it arrives. I have a bunch of small ones kicking around that will be perfect for it.

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,562 of 4,971
I had one of the earlier ones (ordered within the first hour of availability) and it rang at the slightest touch or even loud cough.  The ringing didn't typically last very long, but anything could set it off.  After a month or so, I developed a non-ringing crackling in one of my channels and had to send it back.  The replacement that I have received is much, much more resistant to ringing.  A little bit when plugging in, but after that I can even tap on the case without any ringing.  I was happy already with this amp, but now that I have less ringing and no more crackling, I am supremely happy with the amp and with Schiit's service. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #3,564 of 4,971
I have a Vali on the way. Now, I'm thinking Schiit doesn't have an effective way to test the microphonics of their 6088 stock, so they rely on customer feedback from actual units in the field. They just happily agree to fix the ones that get complaints. Saves time since only these new boards get a listen to make sure it's fixed.

Fairly understandable, but they COULD simply give a quick listen to every unit before shipping. Takes too much time? There must be a final test procedure anyway. Do they give a Schiit about sending the customer an unacceptably ringing amp?

So, really hoping to get a good one, one that makes a good partner for my AKG K601, Beyer DT250-250, or Senn HD580.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #3,565 of 4,971
  I have a Vali on the way. Now, I'm thinking Schiit doesn't have an effective way to test the microphonics of their 6088 stock, so they rely on customer feedback from actual units in the field. They just happily agree to fix the ones that get complaints. Saves time since only these new boards get a listen to make sure it's fixed.

Fairly understandable, but they COULD simply give a quick listen to every unit before shipping. Takes too much time? There must be a final test procedure anyway. Do they give a Schiit about sending the customer an unacceptably ringing amp?

So, really hoping to get a good one, one that makes a good partner for my AKG K601, Beyer DT250-250, or Senn HD580.

somewhere in this thread they said they test for unacceptable ringers now

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #3,567 of 4,971
  Hmmm..might get this since it's so cheap.

I forgot I posted this back in October.  I just ordered it.
cool.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #3,568 of 4,971
Got my Vali 2 days ago, have just a few hours on it.  So far it's a little more "solid-state" sounding than I had expected, but will see after it gets significant hours.  It does ring, on the right channel especially, for 20 seconds or so, when tapped or moved. Gentle use of volume knob elicits no ringing.  I like the amp but hope it gets better.
(first post on head-fi)

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #3,569 of 4,971
^Welcome!  Congrats on first post.  I still really like my Vali.  It does sound better after warming up.  Leave the amp on a lot and get some hours on it.  Think they do get better.

Was comparing with Crack the other day and I do get a bit bigger headstage and more bass with HD800 on the Crack but I am trying to put together a bedside rig with it due to awesome form factor.

My ODAC is lent out but after trying different combos, I want to try phone to ODAC to Vali next and if it sounds like I think it will sound...I'll try to make a mounting bracket for Vali and go vertical on the nightstand.  

Or upside-down under my IKEA Svartasen:

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #3,570 of 4,971
  ^Welcome!  Congrats on first post.  I still really like my Vali.  It does sound better after warming up.  Leave the amp on a lot and get some hours on it.  Think they do get better.

Was comparing with Crack the other day and I do get a bit bigger headstage and more bass with HD800 on the Crack but I am trying to put together a bedside rig with it due to awesome form factor.

My ODAC is lent out but after trying different combos, I want to try phone to ODAC to Vali next and if it sounds like I think it will sound...I'll try to make a mounting bracket for Vali and go vertical on the nightstand.  

Or upside-down under my IKEA Svartasen:

I like the idea of mounting the Vali plus a compact DAC somewhere.  What were you thinking for a bracket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back