NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Feb 6, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #3,346 of 4,971
schiit's earned a new long time customer........

the synergy with the he 400 really works too. it tames the treble enough that i don't really feel the need to use EQ.

as for microphonics? I really don't get much, only when i put my hand on the volume control.  and it disappears very quickly.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #3,347 of 4,971
I received my Vali today! I couldn't wait to use it, so I brought it to work with me.

This is what I'm using currently--
AudioEngine D1 RCA -> Vali -> Denon D2000

The bass is pretty weak with the Vali/Denon combination, but that's to be expected since the D2000 are 25ohm impedance (if I'm understanding the impedance concept correctly).

The only time I experience microphonics is when the unit is already powered and headphones are plugged into the jack. However, it fades very quickly (less than 10 seconds). I've tried tapping the case and moving it around, and no microphonics are produced so far. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I'm really excited to try Vali with my HD700 headphones tonight!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #3,348 of 4,971
  The bass is pretty weak with the Vali/Denon combination, but that's to be expected since the D2000 are 25ohm impedance (if I'm understanding the impedance concept correctly).

According to output impedance (Schiit specs) effects, with D2000 impedance curve (Innerfidelity), all that should be happening is a little extra low bass around 20-30Hz. (?)

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #3,349 of 4,971
  According to output impedance (Schiit specs) effects, with D2000 impedance curve (Innerfidelity), all that should be happening is a little extra low bass around 20-30Hz. (?)

Hmmm. interesting. Well, that has not been my experience. When I use my Asgard or the AudioEngine D1 built-in amp, bass is stronger.

Guess I'll see how the HD700s do with the Vali tonight.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #3,350 of 4,971

You probably won't notice it, unless you want to.
biggrin.gif
 The difference between the impedances of the Denons and the 6.5 Ohm Vali output impedance isn't much and the frequencies that are affected are not that prevalent in most music.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3,351 of 4,971

Hmmm. interesting. Well, that has not been my experience. When I use my Asgard or the AudioEngine D1 built-in amp, bass is stronger.

I have a feeling that it'll work out nicely. The HD700's are reasonably sensitive.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #3,352 of 4,971

The HD700 has a full-bodied, dark-leaning, and slightly veiled sound so I think it would pair very well with the Vali since the Vali gives a crisp and light sound signature.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #3,353 of 4,971
We'll everything is connected, and my first out of the box impression is damn these guys are small. I decided that before I plugged in that I would allow the setup to get warmed up before I sit to listen.
After that initial warm up an hour or so later I plugged the HD700 in, waiting to get that much spoken of ringing, to my surprise there was none, and I mean none, surprise!

The setup is small next to the Asus E1 as you can see in the pic below, I decided to put the little combo side by side to the E1 so I could get a little A/B action. The Vali/Modi combo after an hour plus of listening to my ears on tracks familiar to me are good not great. I think it has more to do with the Modi's DAC than the Vali to be honest.

Once I plug the Vali into the E1 DAC the sound on the Vali was much better MORE open, lots more detail and less congested, and it also added a little more warmth to the treble taming it a tad. I will wait for at least another 100 hours or so before I make and form my final opinion, but if I decided right now I would keep the Vali I think the Vali on its own holds up well next to the E1 at 1/6th the cost and I may end up returning the Modi, well that's all for now.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #3,354 of 4,971
We'll everything is connected, and my first out of the box impression is damn these guys are small. I decided that before I plugged in that I would allow the setup to get warmed up before I sit to listen.
After that initial warm up an hour or so later I plugged the HD700 in, waiting to get that much spoken of ringing, to my surprise there was none, and I mean none, surprise!

The setup is small next to the Asus E1 as you can see in the pic below, I decided to put the little combo side by side to the E1 so I could get a little A/B action. The Vali/Modi combo after an hour plus of listening to my ears on tracks familiar to me are good not great. I think it has more to do with the Modi's DAC than the Vali to be honest.

Once I plug the Vali into the E1 DAC the sound on the Vali was much better MORE open, lots more detail and less congested, and it also added a little more warmth to the treble taming it a tad. I will wait for at least another 100 hours or so before I make and form my final opinion, but if I decided right now I would keep the Vali I think the Vali on its own holds up well next to the E1 at 1/6th the cost and I may end up returning the Modi, well that's all for now.

that is exactly what I pointed out to be my experience in the impressions I posted on the product page. 

Basically the ODAC and MODI hold it back!!!
SELL THAT SCHITT AND KEEP THE VALI

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #3,355 of 4,971
The Vali scales up really well with a good DAC. Tried it with the Dragonfly, Rega DAC and the Naim DAC-V2.  I can definitely tell the difference between the three with the Rega and Naim providing great depth and detail while smoothing out the top end. Probably overkill but the Bifrost Uber at a minimum would be a great match.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #3,357 of 4,971
^^ Nope.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #3,358 of 4,971
Got my Vali yesterday, so far i love it . Noise floor level is higher than my bravo v2 as i hear a small hiss but music sound crisper and brighter.

I lost a bit in the bass departement but im not using bass heavy can.

Described ringning is not an issue as it goes away in 20 seconds.

It now time to get a dac and upgrade phones. Any inputs on good budget can?

Thanks

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #3,359 of 4,971
Got my Vali yesterday, so far i love it . Noise floor level is higher than my bravo v2 as i hear a small hiss but music sound crisper and brighter.

I lost a bit in the bass departement but im not using bass heavy can.

Described ringning is not an issue as it goes away in 20 seconds.

It now time to get a dac and upgrade phones. Any inputs on good budget can?

Thanks

What's your budget? What's your sound profile?

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #3,360 of 4,971
on the rca cables topic, i bought premium rca cables from monoprice and maybe i got a dud, but it didn't fit my odac and i could only get one plug in (the red one) on the vali.

so ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back