NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,759 of 4,971
LOL~ I know of some Mac issues and quirks in regards to our lovely hobbies as well.
wink.gif

I used to do the reinstall Windows once-a-year-or-so thing as well, now I tend to reboot my Mac about as often 
wink.gif
 I was seriously bummed recently, the last time I checked my uptime I was up around 500 days... then last week a major power outage drained my UPS... sigh.

I would second (third?) the recommendation to OP though on a fresh install... Windows does seem to have little glitchy moments where starting anew really is the best bet. And there's nothing particularly odd or proprietary about how Modi handles the connection, it truly should be plug-and-play. 

I assume you've tried all the ports on your machine? Some put out less power than others, an irritating reality for a connection that should be standardized to prevent that... Also why the recommendation of a powered hub was given, which is worth a shot...

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #1,761 of 4,971

Check out the head-fi glossary page.  Lots of great information!

Wet
 - A reverberant sound, something with decay. Opposite of Dry.

Wet/Dry are common terms in audio, especially when you're mixing sound.  They're uncommon around head-fi, though.  I asked earlier if anyone else thought the Vali had a touch of reverb. I could have asked if the Vali sounded a little wet and it would have meant the same thing.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #1,762 of 4,971

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are full of it.

I can endure you using quite a few words to describe amps that are clearly meaningless, but here you have crossed the line.

Right!?  Between Picard and Dathon at El-Adrei and the "butter guy" this thread has completely come off the rails!  I can't endure any more.  

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,763 of 4,971

I can endure you using quite a few words to describe amps that are clearly meaningless, but here you have crossed the line.

Wow!  Your very first post on Headfi is to tell someone he is full of it?  Nice!

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #1,764 of 4,971

Check out the head-fi glossary page.  Lots of great information!

Wet
 - A reverberant sound, something with decay. Opposite of Dry.

Yeah that it's sort of. There's also a warmth element to it, but it's not quite warmth too. Maybe bloom, but it's not exactly that either. Hence we have to resort to "poetry"

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #1,765 of 4,971

Wow!  Your very first post on Headfi is to tell someone he is full of it?  Nice!

That IS a good 50% of posts anyways...

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #1,766 of 4,971
That IS a good 50% of posts anyways...

Not a big deal. Not even worth a cogent response because he's already made up his mind: "Don't take this the wrong way, but [direct insult]. [Feigned slight outage + slightly veiled insult], [outrage]."

I figure its probably Tdock, Shike, an nwavguy minion, or a banned "sound scientist" on sock account.

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #1,767 of 4,971
I agree with what you are saying.  I think it is a VERY slight background distortion associated with tubes that gives it that effect.  It is difficult to describe but easy to understand once you experience it.  My point is more that using the term "wet" is not out of place when describing sound.

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,769 of 4,971
No doubt "wetness" could describe an error of commission. But a rather pleasing one. Definitely not distortion. At least distortion in the technical sense because I have never seen amps measure differently on full spectrum analyzers between tubes with one wetter or bloomier than the other. (I've tried to measure and see differences.)

Head-Fi'er ultrabike has measured the Vali to death. There are far more measurements, and different types of measurements of the Vali than any other head amp I am aware of. In terms of distortion, it's surprisingly good. Not quite the 0.000000001% of the Objective2, but still well well below the limits of hearing. In terms of noise, it doesn't measure so good. No surprise there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back