NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 28, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #1,142 of 4,971
  First post confirming that Vali is a good match w/ HD650 
smily_headphones1.gif

Awesome I was waiting to hear that! Looking forward to hearing them on my HD650's!!
darthsmile.gif

Hello all.... Long time not posting :)

My Vali amp arrived this morning all the way to the UK..... it Didn't ship till Tuesday! great service guys

Very happy with the sound :) .... I'm only using a Creative ZxR soundcard and Sennheisers HD650s.....so much nicer better than the onboard sound card amp  unreal the difference...

Well done Schiit great little amp

That's awesome news! I'll be using the Vali with a Creative Titanium HD and Sennheiser HD650's so pretty much same situation. I am glad to hear it sounds well with your card, it should sound good with the Titanium HD as well!
L3000.gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #1,147 of 4,971
  I am little less familiar with the MA-900s than the others, so impressions of the amp's sound will come from other phones, BUT I can say that the Vali works very well with the MA-900s - no pairing issues.  Since the MA-900s are so sensitive, I could not get beyond 12 o'clock on the knob.  Plenty of bass quantity on the MA-900s with the Vali.  Vocals are particularly nice.  So far, no issues at all other than the microphonics thing (which I think is discussed much earlier in the thread).

Interesting that the rule for optimum sound seems to be the amp should be 8x lower in output impedance then the headphones. The MA-900's are 12 ohms, and the Vali's output impedance is 6.5 ohms, however you find no pairing issues.

I guess that goes to show that rules are made to be broken :)

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #1,148 of 4,971
  Arrived

Thank you for showing a pic of it other than the ones on Schiit's website, looks great! Quick question, when the amp is on, I read at Schiit's website that the tubes do not actually glow, but Schiit uses LED's to simulate tube glow. Can you see the LED glow through the top of the chassis holes? And what color are the LED's? Are they Orange?

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #1,149 of 4,971

Thank you for showing a pic of it other than the ones on Schiit's website, looks great! Quick question, when the amp is on, I read at Schiit's website that the tubes do not actually glow, but Schiit uses LED's to simulate tube glow. Can you see the LED glow through the top of the chassis holes? And what color are the LED's? Are they Orange?

Orange.   They actually use the LED as diodes in the circuit as well, they are not just for looks.

There was a picture of the Vali on a table at a headphone meet, earlier in the thread, btw.

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,150 of 4,971

It's orange. Light from LED, not tubes.

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #1,151 of 4,971

I am little less familiar with the MA-900s than the others, so impressions of the amp's sound will come from other phones, BUT I can say that the Vali works very well with the MA-900s - no pairing issues.  Since the MA-900s are so sensitive, I could not get beyond 12 o'clock on the knob.  Plenty of bass quantity on the MA-900s with the Vali.  Vocals are particularly nice.  So far, no issues at all other than the microphonics thing (which I think is discussed much earlier in the thread).

Interesting that the rule for optimum sound seems to be the amp should be 8x lower in output impedance then the headphones. The MA-900's are 12 ohms, and the Vali's output impedance is 6.5 ohms, however you find no pairing issues.

I guess that goes to show that rules are made to be broken :)

There are many instances of good headphone sound where the headphone impedance is lower than output impedance.  The usual source for that "rule" is generally a dubious one on many other points, IMHO, but that would be off-topic.

Also note that the MA-900s have an "impedance matching network", so it is a moot point anyway.

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #1,152 of 4,971

It's orange. Light from LED, not tubes.

Thank you for showing the pic with it lit up, looks great!

Quote:
  Orange.   They actually use the LED as diodes in the circuit as well, they are not just for looks.

There was a picture of the Vali on a table at a headphone meet, earlier in the thread, btw.

Thank you for the info, and I am not sure how, but I must have missed the pic you're speaking of so I apologize for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back