NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Oct 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #572 of 4,971
I had been going around and around between O2, Magni and Asgard2 as each has it's own pluses and minuses for me and had finally decided on Asgard2 but after finding out about the vali and reading this thread I am now doing Magni/Val/Modi stack- No brainer for me I think. My main listening room has a Project Sunrise 2 (another fine, affordable amp from an American company) tube amp or my Onkyo Tx-NR 905 AVR so this would be for my den/computer area.
I don't see any problem powering the following cans I am/will be using Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250, Pioneer SE A-1000, Modded Fostex t50rp and eventually a HD600. I realize probably won't work well with AT M50's due to low impedancde and high sensitivity but those are my on-the-go cans for phone use. I hope supply meets demnad when shiping starts

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #573 of 4,971
I had been going around and around between O2, Magni and Asgard2 as each has it's own pluses and minuses for me and had finally decided on Asgard2 but after finding out about the vali and reading this thread I am now doing Magni/Val/Modi stack- No brainer for me I think. My main listening room has a Project Sunrise 2 (another fine, affordable amp from an American company) tube amp or my Onkyo Tx-NR 905 AVR so this would be for my den/computer area.
I don't see any problem powering the following cans I am/will be using Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250, Pioneer SE A-1000, Modded Fostex t50rp and eventually a HD600. I realize probably won't work well with AT M50's due to low impedancde and high sensitivity but those are my on-the-go cans for phone use. I hope supply meets demnad when shiping starts

So you choose the Vali & Modi over Asgard 2....interesting

I hope the pricing of the Vali wouldn't be outrageous when it hits NZ, triple schiit stack seems like a way to go

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #574 of 4,971
There are ways around that. I regularly get stuff from the US via NZpost, instead of going the local retailer route. Even with international shipping, it still works out cheaper. send me a pm if you like. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #575 of 4,971
  I've decided to get a Vali for Christmas...but need to match it with a new headphone. I'm considering DT880, Q701, and HD600. 

Opinions? I listen to a little of everything, but tend toward pop and techno. I value detail level and sound stage.

I was previously underwhelmed by the Q701 (without an amp, which was obviously the problem) but thought the detail and sound stage were amazing. I live in the deep south and can't try anything out before I buy.

This is not on your list but Purrin who has had a lot to say about this amp and many headphones thinks the modded T50RP's such as the Paradox with the Vali are "sublime". Many folks who own the "modded" T50RP's have put their HDXXX, DTXXX, etc on the back burner. My personal favorite given the price is the ZMF modded T50RP's, $200, some think almost as good as the LCD-2 for a fraction of the price. Just my 2 cents, like the Vali, an incredible value and SQ. There is a lot of info about the T50RP's here on HeadFi.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #576 of 4,971
  As promised...1st stage of the comparisons...Same sources, same headphones, Vali and Magni impressions.

All auditioning done with iMac/iTunes as the source, running through USB to the Modi DAC and into the amps to Audez'e LCD-2.1's 

The Lee Shore (Crosby Still and Nash Box Set, ALAC, 16/44)…Vali:  great…nice imaging, miss and treble are smooth and liquid.  Very good micro detail extraction.  Magni: Good left to right imaging…less depth.  Highs are a little grainy, but not bad.  Mids a little less lush…maybe a bit recessed.    Preferred the Vali.

IGY (Donald Fagen The Nightfly, ALAC, 24/48)…Vali: Loads of air. Good snare attack, but not wow.  Very digital sounding recording rendered very listenable.  good space between instruments and Fagen's voice.  Lots of shimmer, but not bright.  Magni:  Definitely brighter.  Voice blends into the BG more.  Better bass impact and control. Preferred the Vali on this track.

Lofty's Roach Soufflé (Harry Connick Jr. Tro, Lofty's Roach Soufflé, ALAC, 16/44)…Vali: Good presence.  Piano feels a little thin.  Another sample of good imaging.  Magni:  Again better and more impactful bass.  The bottom register of the piano is a little more fleshed out. The cymbals a a little brighter.  preferred the Magni on this track. 

Church (Lyle Lovett, Joshua Judges Ruth, ALAC, 16/44)…Vali: A little more three blobby (left center right imaging, with little in between) than the RWA, but still nice and wide.  This notably sibilant recording was nicely controlled on top. The complicated passages near the end were rendered with good detail…tho not as good as some of the amps with more vice-like control and speed.  Magni:  Very 3 blobby.  The hand claps that should span the sound stage are only coming from the extremes.  Very sibilant…that's in the recording, but the Magni does nothing to help tame it.  Preferred the Vali

Couldn't Stand the Weather (Stevie ray Vaughn Greatest Hits ALAC, 24/96)…Vali: Great dynamics!  650mW, you say?  The opening snare attack in the intro is a kick in the head!  Super fast.  Achilles heel the bass perhaps.  The baseline is muddy.  Magni:  As good as the attack was with the Vali, it was better with the Magni.  The snare is intense!  The baseline is less prevalent, but better controlled…less bloat.  Preferred the Magni.

Battle w/o Honor or Humility (Tomoyasu Hotel, Electric Samurai, 256k iTunes MP3)…Vali: Struggles with the really loud and complicated sections at high volume.  The horns sound a little thin.  Bass is slow.  Magni: Definitely more control in complicated patterns. Tho it still feels like it's running a little short of current with the LCD-2's on very dynamic passages.  I get a feeling like it's clipping just a little…might be the lower bit rate recording.  Preferred the Magni…but neither one seemed to blow me away.

Lotus Flower (RadioHead, The King of Limbs, 320k MP3 from their site)…It's not the whole bass region…just the really deep bottom.  The upper base intro was rendered very well with nice control, but the really deep stuff feels a little bloated and slow.  Very tubey. Magni:  Bass is better, but the treble is way bright.  The cymbals are like knives.  I can live with the slow bass on this track to get the smoother highs.  Preferred the Vali

Bloom (Radiohead, TKOL Remixes, 320k MP3 from their site)…Vali: The super deep electronic bass is there, but slow.  Great job delving to the 20-30hz area…just don't have the control to keep it super tight.  Still impressive head vibrating experience.  Magni:  Definitely less bass, but much more controlled…probably just feels like less because of the lack of bloat…but on this track I like it…I want MOAR boom boom!  Preferred the Vali.

In the end I found the Magni to be a more accurate amp with a little grain in the highs and good control over the bass…but perhaps a little lean there as well.  The Vali was more 'Euphonic' with smoother highs, a more warm and liquid midrange and deep but bloated and slow bass.  

I wish these were so inexpensive that I could have both so I could listen to the one I preferred for different types of music.  

WAIT!  They ARE!! 

Really enjoyed your evaluation here. As someone who also has the AGD NFB-12( my main rig with modded T50RP'S), how would you compare the Magni/Modi stack to the NFB-12? Purrin thinks the Paradox/Vali pairing to be "sublime", so as my intro to tubes I am considering my modded T50RP's and the Vali. I could use either the DAC in the NFB-12 or my ES9023 U2 DAC. Thanks, satwilson

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #577 of 4,971
  Not to throw too big a wrench into the works, but I have to wonder how many Magni's they are going to sell once this becomes available. I am thinking not very darn many.

I'm assuming that you've never met the rather large bunch of us who own multiple Budget-Fi amps and DACs
wink_face.gif

Personally, I see the Vali as a perfect answer to the other hybrid amps in this approximate price range. I am wishing I knew about the Vali before I went out and bought another Bravo V2.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #578 of 4,971
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=530333970374870&set=a.530333553708245.1073741874.169274989814105&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn1%2F620921_530333970374870_2036947176_o.jpg&smallsrc=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn2%2F9768_530333970374870_2036947176_n.jpg&size=2048%2C1367

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #579 of 4,971
Oct 31, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #581 of 4,971
Someone found my Facebook page! Woot! That was my shot from CanJam. Much better photos to follow soon!

Glad to know that it's you. So, I guess you had try the sexy silver right? How's the sound compared to Magni?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back