NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Apr 20, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #3,781 of 4,971

Wondering if the tiny bit of ringing issue with your new vali was caused by using low impedance headphones?

I heard the ringing issue is much alleviated for high impedance headphones, like HD650, HD800...

I was under the impression that the ringing on the Vali is never eliminated completely.

I am using HD800's. When I plug in the headphones, I hear fairly low level ringing that goes away after about 15 seconds. To get louder ringing, I have to tap on the case pretty hard with my fingernails. If I tap with just my finger, I don't get any ringing.

I am totally OK with this amount of ringing. It's generally so low level that even when there is ringing and you have music playing, you can't even hear it. My previous unit would ring so loud when I touched the volume knob that you could hear the ringing loud when the HD800's were sitting on the headphone stand.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #3,782 of 4,971

In my case the foam itself came loose :|

Just wondering if it is possible to use some copper wires to band the tubes to the foam in order to resolve the erection problem?

If this is the case, I would suggest Schiit (or possibly DIY) to drill 2 holes on the PCB around each tube, and then use some metal wire or heat resistant band to fix the tube and foam onto the PCB. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #3,783 of 4,971
  I was under the impression that the ringing on the Vali is never eliminated completely.

I am using HD800's. When I plug in the headphones, I hear fairly low level ringing that goes away after about 15 seconds. To get louder ringing, I have to tap on the case pretty hard with my fingernails. If I tap with just my finger, I don't get any ringing.

I am totally OK with this amount of ringing. It's generally so low level that even when there is ringing and you have music playing, you can't even hear it. My previous unit would ring so loud when I touched the volume knob that you could hear the ringing loud when the HD800's were sitting on the headphone stand.

I heard the ringring issue is worse for low impedance headphones.

But 15 seconds of ringing is not an issue anymore. I can definitely stand 10 - 30 seconds of ringring 
beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #3,784 of 4,971
  Apparently my repaired Vali is nowhere to be found. So they sent me a new one overnight.

This one rings a LOT less that my previous one. There is still a tiny bit of ringing, but nothing like my original unit which was one of the early shipping units.

As promised, here's the photos of the tubes inside.

Nice! Thats really cool they sent you a new Vali. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #3,785 of 4,971

But 15 seconds of ringing is not an issue anymore. I can definitely stand 10 - 30 seconds of ringring :beerchug:

The ringing is due to the inherent microphonics of the tubes. I don't know why the impedance of the headphones would matter. Am I missing something?

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #3,789 of 4,971

But 15 seconds of ringing is not an issue anymore. I can definitely stand 10 - 30 seconds of ringring 
beerchug.gif

I just performed a test, comparing a low impedance and a high impedance headphone from the Vali amp.  I used Sennheiser HD600 (300 ohms) and Sennheiser Momentum on-ears (18 ohms).  On 2 trials for each, I heard 20 seconds of ringing when I plugged each one in (tried my best to plug each one in with same amount of force).  So, no difference in amount or duration in ringing, for me, in this one experiment.   I will submit results to the Journal of Casual Three Minute Experimental Science.

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #3,791 of 4,971
  I just performed a test, comparing a low impedance and a high impedance headphone from the Vali amp.  I used Sennheiser HD600 (300 ohms) and Sennheiser Momentum on-ears (18 ohms).  On 2 trials for each, I heard 20 seconds of ringing when I plugged each one in (tried my best to plug each one in with same amount of force).  So, no difference in amount or duration in ringing, for me, in this one experiment.   I will submit results to the Journal of Casual Three Minute Experimental Science.

I am not too sure about the source...I guess somewhere in the middle of this thread some people mentioned ringring was alleviated for their high impedance phones

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #3,793 of 4,971

Confirmed, ringing is no different from the 600ohm DT880s I had to the 32ohm Grados I have now. Maybe a little bit louder on the lower impedance, but it's miniscule.

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3,794 of 4,971
Impressive how people talk more about a 15 seconds sound side-effect than the actual sound of the amp with this thing your supposed to listen... you know.... whati is it called.....

Ah yes, MUSIC..

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #3,795 of 4,971
Nice sarcasm. This is a specific forum about the equipment which allows us to access the music. And this is an unusual problem - - a very audible high pitched ee-Eee-ee that interferes with playing the music for a little while. If you heard an annoying squeal every time you turned on your living room light, you might mention that too, without meaning that you don't appreciate light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back