NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Apr 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #3,766 of 4,971
Not for long...

However (BIG however)--many, many TVs and AVRs don't output PCM sound from HDMI sources, due to copy protection. Make sure yours does, before you buy any DAC.

Wow, a modi 2 is coming Jason ?
I will be happy if it no need drivers like the Modi, because drivers installation is impossible for me at work. I dream about a bifrost with no drivers required :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3,767 of 4,971
I said nothing about a Modi 2. However, we will very shortly have a less expensive optical input DAC, if all you need is optical input.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #3,768 of 4,971
I said nothing about a Modi 2. However, we will very shortly have a less expensive optical input DAC, if all you need is optical input.

okay, not a Modi 2, so we could call this 'optical Schiit modi' ? (Just kidding, i am trying to know what is next :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #3,769 of 4,971
I dream about a bifrost with no drivers required
smily_headphones1.gif

That's not Schiit's problem, that's your schitty operating systems fault.

BiFrost is plug n play with Mac.
glorious.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #3,770 of 4,971
That's not Schiit's problem, that's your schitty operating systems fault.

BiFrost is plug n play with Mac.
glorious.

thanx but i didn't choose my system at work.
(but for sure i don't like schitty mac)

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #3,771 of 4,971
thanx but i didn't choose my system at work.
(but for sure i don't like schitty mac)

understood.
under that predicament, my alternative plan to use the Vali at work would be:
 iPad with Onkyo HD app --> CCK cable --> USB cable --> iFi iDSD nano --> RCA cables --> Vali --> headphones.

if you despise apple, substitute the iPad/CCK with <insert something Android here>.

or wait for Geek Wave.
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #3,772 of 4,971

No 2-channel DAC will do Dolby Digital...so beware.

as long as it will decode Dolby Digital, PCM and DTS 

"Product Description

Converts coaxial or optical digital audio input to analog stereo output over RCA and 3.5mm mini jack Supports all popular sample rates including 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz and 96kHz, at up to 24-bit resolution Decodes Dolby and DTS signals for excellent compatibility with modern HDTVs. Switch selectable coaxial or optical input."

I will hook it up to the Vali amp for better sound I'm thinking I shouldve bought the bifrost DAC instead of the Vali amp because only wanted better sound don't really need amp I bought the Vali amp because i read somewhere that it has good sound-stage better sound 

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #3,773 of 4,971

That is exactly what I want, to replace the Audioengine unit hooked up to my Apple TV. Fantastic news!

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #3,776 of 4,971
Apr 19, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #3,777 of 4,971
Hmmm.. do I smell some leakage here?? 
biggrin.gif
 Modi with Optical input too?? (USB powered so no wall wart??)​ Would be a nice match for my Vali.

Quote:
Not for long...

Yeah, I saw that too, and started drooling...

Optical Schiit:
Wow, Look At This Schiit!
Did you see that Schiit?!
I saw that Schiit coming a mile away.
That new Schiit makes my eyes bleed.
Even a blind man can hear optical Schiit....

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #3,778 of 4,971

No 2-channel DAC will do Dolby Digital...so beware.

Depends on the Dac as my Audio-GD NFB 15.32 Accepts DD and DTS signal and works thru Coax and optical, Also It's VIA usb32 usb input accept Blu ray Audio as I watched Plenty of Blu ray's with mine and non of them switched to PCM, they was DTS-HD and DD-MA, same with  DD and DTS with DVD's. I have to use Windvd as PowerDVd don't do Blu ray audio like it used to with it.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #3,779 of 4,971
Apparently my repaired Vali is nowhere to be found. So they sent me a new one overnight.

This one rings a LOT less that my previous one. There is still a tiny bit of ringing, but nothing like my original unit which was one of the early shipping units.

As promised, here's the photos of the tubes inside.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #3,780 of 4,971
  Apparently my repaired Vali is nowhere to be found. So they sent me a new one overnight.

This one rings a LOT less that my previous one. There is still a tiny bit of ringing, but nothing like my original unit which was one of the early shipping units.

As promised, here's the photos of the tubes inside.

Wondering if the tiny bit of ringing issue with your new vali was caused by using low impedance headphones?

I heard the ringing issue is much alleviated for high impedance headphones, like HD650, HD800...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back