NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Apr 14, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #3,736 of 4,971
It seems you are a firm tube supporter. 
biggrin.gif
 Most of the characteristics about vali that you mentioned are related to tubes.

I like the smooth sound from tubes for sure, but I also like the low noise floor and quick response from solid state. So sort of in the middle. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #3,737 of 4,971

I like the smooth sound from tubes for sure, but I also like the low noise floor and quick response from solid state. So sort of in the middle. 
bigsmile_face.gif

hm, well since Vali (and Lyr, and Ember) are hybrid amps (Tubes AND Solid State outputs) you may enjoy them as well.
wink_face.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #3,739 of 4,971
I actually find the vali excel in detail and speed. The amazing thing about it is it do so without sounding harsh and gritty. It's actually faster than the wa2 that I previously owned and yet it retains some of its smoothness.

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #3,742 of 4,971
Ya! I have Modi, Magni, Vali, Asgard 2, HE-400.

I don't use the Magni at all after I got the Vali.

Well crap, guess I'm gonna have to then :wink:

I "should" not spend any money until I'm ready to step to the next tier, but I'm just about to graduate and a Lyr/bifrost stack is out of my reach

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #3,743 of 4,971
  It seems you are a firm tube supporter. 
biggrin.gif
 Most of the characteristics about vali that you mentioned are related to tubes.

bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah, I love tubes. When well done, I find tubes much more engaging and musical that most solid state. But when solid state is done well, it has its very enjoyable, too.

K.T.

can you compare Vali vs. A2 ?

They are different sounding amps, for sure. But both are smooth.

I'd say the A2 has a certain smoothness, evenness, and control that's very reassuring. Nothing sounds out of place. Everything sounds controlled, but in a sure, musical way.

Unlike the Magni, which is also solid state, the A2 has a sense of inner detail and delicacy that lifts it way above the Magni. The A2 tends to a slight warmth, and very slight roundness, which I also find nice. You would not mistake it for a hard, dry, bright, clinical sound that some solid state exhibits. It's a smooth, warm, composed, controlled, detailed, but delicate sound.

There's a certain anticipatory tension in the A2 sound as well. I think this comes from the reserve of power. Music doesn't sound like it's lagging, or struggling to keep up. The terms smooth, warm, composed, controlled keep popping up in my head.

I guess this is the sound of well done Class A biased solid state. A2 does run fairly hot.

The Vali doesn't sound like it has as much power, grip, or control as the A2. On the other hand, there's an easiness to the sound. It's easier to forget that you're listening to a recording with the Vali. It really draws you into the music.

There's a certain ease and flow with the Vali that sounds more natural to me. I attribute that to the tubes. Sometimes I will wish there were more power from the Vali, like with the HiFiMan HE-500. This phone sounds good on the Vali, but ultimately not a good match because the HE-500 needs more power. The HE-400 is a great match with the Vali, though, since it is easier to drive.

I have to say, both amps are winners, and really well worth their asking price.

My favorite phones, HE-500, HD-600, Q701 sound great on both amps. If I had to pick one amp, however, I'd probably go with the A2. There's something about the smoothness, delicacy, and control that I really like.

But the Vali is also great. I liked the Vali so much I bought two of them!

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #3,744 of 4,971
Any idea how long a repair takes? My Vali would not stop ringing even after letting it sit for an hour. When I first got it, it used to ring for about 90 seconds or so. 

Anyway, they received my Vali on 4/3 at the factory. I have e-mailed 3 times and tried to call once, but haven't heard anything about the status of the repair.

For those of you that sent your Vali's back, how long did it take for you to get it back? (I am in southern California, so shipping time is not an issue.)

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #3,745 of 4,971
  Any idea how long a repair takes? My Vali would not stop ringing even after letting it sit for an hour. When I first got it, it used to ring for about 90 seconds or so. 

Anyway, they received my Vali on 4/3 at the factory. I have e-mailed 3 times and tried to call once, but haven't heard anything about the status of the repair.

For those of you that sent your Vali's back, how long did it take for you to get it back? (I am in southern California, so shipping time is not an issue.)

Right after I posted, I heard back from Schiit customer service.

They shipped my unit out back to me on Friday. So that works out to about 8 days for the repair. That's not bad.

They said they had to overhaul the whole unit that includes replacing the tubes and adhesive pads and adding some acoustical foam to reduce vibration to the board. They then burn the unit in overnight and then test it while it is still hot to determine if there are any problems.

That's amazing that they can do all that as a warranty repair for a $119 product. I don't see how they can make any money doing it, but I'm not complaining. I can't wait to have my Vali back...

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #3,746 of 4,971
  Right after I posted, I heard back from Schiit customer service.

They shipped my unit out back to me on Friday. So that works out to about 8 days for the repair. That's not bad.

They said they had to overhaul the whole unit that includes replacing the tubes and adhesive pads and adding some acoustical foam to reduce vibration to the board. They then burn the unit in overnight and then test it while it is still hot to determine if there are any problems.

That's amazing that they can do all that as a warranty repair for a $119 product. I don't see how they can make any money doing it, but I'm not complaining. I can't wait to have my Vali back...

Cool, great services!

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #3,748 of 4,971

Interesting... something new. Some photos could help others.

I can post photos once I get it back. Not sure why I don't have it already, but hopefully tomorrow.

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3,750 of 4,971

I will bet, we will see black sorbothane strips under tubes...

I would think Sorbothane would be too expensive at the price point. Also, they would need to have double-stick adhesive on the Sorbothane to secure the tubes to the board. That would probably mean a custom designed and manufactured Sorbothane pad, which would definitely be too expensive for a $119 price point IMO. I think they will continue to use the soft double-stick foam they've always used for the tubes. Sorbothane is too costly a material for this product, I think.

Some foam pads stuck onto the circuit board makes more sense to me. It's probably the current strategy/revision aimed at soaking up vibration before it can get to the tubes; if the board doesn't vibrate, there's no vibration transmitted to the tubes. Theoretically, the pads should absorb the vibration and transform it into heat. Or at least they should lessen the vibration, or shift the resonance to a frequency that doesn't cause issues for the tubes.

I wonder if that resurgent wave of ringing in some of the later amps was because the board foam excited some unexpected resonance instead of absorbing it.

I recall using vibration dots and damping material on the circuit boards of some of my gear some years back. Some of the time there was a slight improvement in the sound. Most of the time I couldn't tell the difference. And some of the time the sound actually got worse.

So it's more complicated that just plopping some compliant foam pads onto the board. Short of a scientific method for identifying where they should go, there's a lot of experimentation required.

A picture of the foam pads on the circuit board would be very informative and most welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back