NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Mar 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #3,633 of 4,971
  I'm considering buying a Vali, but I plan to use it on a large table that also holds my router.  Is the Vali sensitive to wireless signal interference?

I have my Vali/Modi on the same table where I have my laptop (using WiFi) and my cellphone (also using WiFi) and I get no interference.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3,635 of 4,971

I have my Vali/Modi on the same table where I have my laptop (using WiFi) and my cellphone (also using WiFi) and I get no interference.

Thanks, I'm worried about my router interferring with it. The furthest I can keep it away from the Vali is 10-12 feet.

My router is mounted on a wall about 4 feet away from the Vali/Modi. No interference.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #3,638 of 4,971
Aside from vibration damping efforts, has anyone tried any substantive modifications to the Vali to improve the sound?

Seeing how the Vali uses a lot of tiny surface mounted components, I can understand how it would be difficult to roll parts.

In some of my other amps, based mainly on through-hole components or point-to-point construction, I've rolled things like input caps, coupling caps, output caps, resistors, potentiometers, etc, to change the flavor of the sound. Sometime the improvement was big.

I don't see too much discussion about modifications to the Vali. Or should I be looking on another forum like DIYAudio.com or AudioCircle.com?

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3,641 of 4,971
I want to report the AKG K812 works well enough with the Vali. There's a slight noise floor, but nothing as bad as plugging in portables like KEF M500.

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #3,643 of 4,971
This looks promising. Has anyone tried it with a Bottlehead unit?

I've tried it in conjunction with the Quickie preamp and it's not really a good fit. Kinda takes away from the clean sound of the Vali, and doesn't really give the bass tactility boost the Quickie gives when used in conjunction with the Crack.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #3,644 of 4,971
I compared at home, my Vali against my woo wa7....
Why?
Because I can.. Lol

I would not have bothered to post results except something very curious...

The vali sounds extremely similar to the amp section of the woo wa7 with the "Elecro-Harmonix" gold pin tubes..(!)

The main difference being slight less depth and bottom end..
The trebles were amazingly similar (!)

Of course you have the added noise floor and ringing associated with the vali, but dam it sounded sooo similar!

I listened using a loaner hd800 on, them so I herd maximum detailing of both.
I assumed it was more specific to those headphones so I tried now with my best portable ultrasone ed8 and noticed same similar signature (!)..
Only slightly less of everything (soundstage & depth & punch) at same volume it is like 80% of the woo (!)

Dacs used were odac, woo wa7 dac, arcam irdac...

That being said. The odac held up almost as well as the w7 dac section,
But the Arcam is just majestic and an end game dac for me.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #3,645 of 4,971
I compared at home, my Vali against my woo wa7....
Why?
Because I can.. Lol

I would not have bothered to post results except something very curious...

The vali sounds extremely similar to the amp section of the woo wa7 with the "Elecro-Harmonix" gold pin tubes..(!)

The main difference being slight less depth and bottom end..
The trebles were amazingly similar (!)

Of course you have the added noise floor and ringing associated with the vali, but dam it sounded sooo similar!

I listened using a loaner hd800 on, them so I herd maximum detailing of both.
I assumed it was more specific to those headphones so I tried now with my best portable ultrasone ed8 and noticed same similar signature (!)..
Only slightly less of everything (soundstage & depth & punch) at same volume it is like 80% of the woo (!)

Dacs used were odac, woo wa7 dac, arcam irdac...

That being said. The odac held up almost as well as the w7 dac section,
But the Arcam is just majestic and an end game dac for me.

Very interesting to read your comparison. 

Certainly not good news for the WA7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back