NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Mar 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #3,601 of 4,971
I bought a DT990 Pro recently and I use it with my Vali+Modi. I really enjoy listening to Jazz with this combination more than anything else. Great bass response/extension along with sparkly highs; plus that warm tube sound.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #3,602 of 4,971
  Gonna grab one of these with the Sennheiser HD598 for my next headphone setup. Gonna be my first amp!

You will be happy. It's a great pairing. You're starting out with a very good rig.

Great thing about the Vali is that is scales well. I can tell you it sounds great with the HD600 and Q701. Really good with HE-400, too.

In reference to taming that bright light, I just opened up the case and snipped that LED right out. Doesn't hurt the funtioning of the amp in any way. That was done on my bedside Vali. That light is way to bright for sleeping near.

I find that those soft, warm, orange biasing LEDs inside are plenty visible, and bright enough to let me know the amp is on but dim enough to be innocuous. Ironic that the warm orange glow is coming from the LEDs and not the tubes!

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #3,603 of 4,971
You will be happy. It's a great pairing. You're starting out with a very good rig.

Great thing about the Vali is that is scales well. I can tell you it sounds great with the HD600 and Q701. Really good with HE-400, too.

In reference to taming that bright light, I just opened up the case and snipped that LED right out. Doesn't hurt the funtioning of the amp in any way. That was done on my bedside Vali. That light is way to bright for sleeping near.

I find that those soft, warm, orange biasing LEDs inside are plenty visible, and bright enough to let me know the amp is on but dim enough to be innocuous. Ironic that the warm orange glow is coming from the LEDs and not the tubes!
B
I bought a product called "Dim-its", made for sticking on overly bright LED's & other things (like alarm clock displays). Works well on the bright Schiit led's. $5 buys you a sheet of different shapes & sizes, enough for a lifetime. I used to use a bit of masking tape or Post-it note, but the high-end $5 solution is better and more finished looking.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #3,604 of 4,971
  Mine is #786 and has no birth defects either. So far, knock on wood, has not contracted any illnesses.

#900+ and no defects either. I even dropped mine when I first tried to take it out of the cardboard holder.

Wonder what was up with all the bad units popping up from a few weeks ago. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #3,607 of 4,971

#900+ and no defects either. I even dropped mine when I first tried to take it out of the cardboard holder.

Wonder what was up with all the bad units popping up from a few weeks ago. 

Perhaps one morning one of the guys on the assembly line had a fight with his wife and couldn't concentrate on his work.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #3,609 of 4,971

There are no orange LED's. Illumination goes from tubes for sure....

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #3,611 of 4,971
Nice to hear so many people have healthy babies ...

Yesterday I tried with my grado sr-60 and the sound was ooohhhhhh, melt in my heart, so sexy and seductive, and that only direct from ipod line out.
I havent got a chance to try with my hd800 yet.

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #3,612 of 4,971
Got lucky I guess. No 1348 and no evidence of ringing or noise with AKG K601. It's burning in and opening up nicely. I run it with volume in the last 1/4 of rotation, which kind of suprised me. This is with the Windows computer volume at 75 and Spotify around 50%. The objective for me has been to make the Vali do most of the amplification.

Also a bit surprised how warm it gets for class AB output and low current heaters on 6088 tubes.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #3,614 of 4,971
Thanks for chiming in! The sad truth is that I'm using the analog out from my HP (Beats Audio) minitower, so my thinking is to use less of the opamp amplification on the audio card. For now. I have a USB DAC that will get inserted in the system soon.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #3,615 of 4,971
Thanks for chiming in! The sad truth is that I'm using the analog out from my HP (Beats Audio) minitower, so my thinking is to use less of the opamp amplification on the audio card. For now. I have a USB DAC that will get inserted in the system soon.

Run windows and spotify at full volume, they will do/sound best that way, in the digital domain.

@dragonfly50

What billheiser meant is that the volume control in windows adversely affects sq considerably as it is not optimally done. It is done digitally which doesn't necessarily mean poorly, but in this instance, it is.

I believe what you will gain from by-passing the digital vc will far outweights what you might lose from the op amp working "harder".

P.s. May i suggest a modi for your next purchase? Or perhaps even an AQ DF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back