NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Oct 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #316 of 4,971
so this amp is meant as a cheap tube amp with great performance if you wanna drive planars and high impedance but not good for low sensitivity headphones?

i bet it'd sound great with AKG K701s

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #317 of 4,971
  so this amp is meant as a cheap tube amp with great performance if you wanna drive planars and high impedance but not good for low sensitivity headphones?

I'm kind of confused. Seems like the target headphone is the Sennheiser HD6** etc.? The 300-600 ohm headphones... Not sure though

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #318 of 4,971
Quote:

It's not so good for high sensitivity headphones due to the noise floor.

I'm kind of confused. Seems like the target headphone is the Sennheiser HD6** etc.? The 300-600 ohm headphones... Not sure though

The target seems more like 32 ohms and above, from mid to low sensitivity.

The Vali's impedance may be around 5 ohms or lower (may measure it sometime later). An HD600 is a high impedance headphone and while it requires a bit of voltage swing, the FR would be uncolored by the amp. However, the HD600 is kind of a mid to high sensitivity headphone if I recall correctly, therefore might still hear the noise floor. It was not a big problem for me with my also mid to high sensitivity HD558 (and ~50 ohms).

Planar magnetic headphones have around 30 to 60 ohms impedance range and are usually low sensitivity, so those might actually be a better match. Like DG said, perhaps the AKG K701 is also a good match too.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #319 of 4,971

Definitely what I was thinking. 

Quote:

It's not so good for high sensitivity headphones due to the noise floor.

The AKG K701 series isn't really what I would call a high sensitivity headphone.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #320 of 4,971
I'm almost positive she meant low sensitivity. Hence why she mentioned planars and the AKGs.

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #322 of 4,971
I'm almost positive she meant low sensitivity. Hence why she mentioned planars and the AKGs.

You assume dsg is in fact a girl. Ironically like some here assumed that you were also. 
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #323 of 4,971
  You assume dsg is in fact a girl. Ironically like some here assumed that you were also. 
wink.gif

If her username ends with "Girl" I think it's reasonable to assume that she is indeed a girl, unless "he" is intentionally trying to deceive us (which has happened before, not to mention any names). But 6000+ posts later we have not seen any evidence of that 
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #325 of 4,971
Not sure what to do now. I was originally gonna go for the Project Ember, but hmm... I think I still might, just because of tube rolling, looks, and also variable gain.

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #326 of 4,971
For those on the fence, I will be ordering this when available, and I am one day shipping distance from Schiit, and I will be comparing it to:

* Another tube hybrid amp (see sig)
* 300watt per channel vintage solid state amp

with:

* Alpha Dog
* Mad Dog 3.2
* HE-400
* Sony MDR-MA900

through:

* HRT Music Streamer Two Plus (revised version)

So, if you are wondering how it will work with any of the above, stay tuned for another impression  (note that Alpha Dog and Sony are also not yet received, but should arrive before the Vali).

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #327 of 4,971
I've heard the Lyr & the Vali, with the Bifrost & Modi as the DAC with the HD800s

Although there were ambient noises (at Canjam), I thought that the Crack amp w/ speedball from an audio-gd DAC sounded quite a bit better.

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #328 of 4,971
  For those on the fence, I will be ordering this when available, and I am one day shipping distance from Schiit, and I will be comparing it to:

* Another tube hybrid amp (see sig)
* 300watt per channel vintage solid state amp

with:

* Alpha Dog
* Mad Dog 3.2
* HE-400
* Sony MDR-MA900

through:

* HRT Music Streamer Two Plus (revised version)

So, if you are wondering how it will work with any of the above, stay tuned for another impression  (note that Alpha Dog and Sony are also not yet received, but should arrive before the Vali).

Definitely staying tuned as I have the MD 3.2 and original HRT MS II...
popcorn.gif

... but with an iFi iCan and Matrix M-Stage as my current amps. I am looking at either this or the AG2 as I've been told I can get much more out of my MDs with a stronger amp.

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #329 of 4,971
  I've heard the Lyr & the Vali, with the Bifrost & Modi as the DAC with the HD800s

Although there were ambient noises (at Canjam), I thought that the Crack amp w/ speedball from an audio-gd DAC sounded quite a bit better.

Do you remember which Audio-gd DAC it was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back